[RESOLVED] "Quote Reply": one chunk only?

"Quote Reply" does not provide a feasible, workable way to chop a quoted reply into individual sections?

With the old editor, one could toggle to BBCode, add quote and unquote tags*** code where needed, and reply to individual sections of a long post, then toggle back.

The end result would be something like this.

If the original post were:

Is this a quote reply?
Can I do that with the new editor?

The reply would look like this:

Is this a quote reply?

Yes, that is true.

Can I do that with the new editor?

No, you cannot.

--------------------------

Is there a fix coming?

If not, is there a workaround?

{{Same questions for CODE TAGS}}

***EDIT: the darn new editor wouldn't even let me put in the "old" quote tags:angry:

Thanks,

Is there a fix coming?

Not yet.

If not, is there a workaround?

Nope.  But you can just copy the text, not use the quote this, and then break up the quotes easily by selecting only what you want and using the quote tag above.  Actually, a bit faster than having to type in the tags manually.

{{Same questions for CODE TAGS}}

And the same fix applies.

Thanks,

Welcome :)

Also, to make it easier, as you're picking out what is to be quoted, adding CR/LFs will allow you to reply a lot easier after making the sections you want to appear in a quote tag in a quote tag.

I have to say, though, it was a lot easier for me with pure BBCode and the old Fx addon by MelReyes, BBCodeXtra.  But since everyone wants to pretend the KB doesn't exist....

Edited by John L. Galt
Fixed typographical errors

• Root Admin

Should be able to do it off line and post it. Can also go to another site like ubbcentral.com and use there test are down on the bottom. They still allow preview. Then preview and copy the code from the final rich text and post back here it should work. Don't need to actually post on ubbcentral to test. After the preview just close it.

The appear to allow anonymous users for testing too :-)

http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/5/1/test-forum

12 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Should be able to do it off line and post it. Can also go to another site like ubbcentral.com and use there test are down on the bottom. They still allow preview. Then preview and copy the code from the final rich text and post back here it should work. Don't need to actually post on ubbcentral to test. After the preview just close it.

The appear to allow anonymous users for testing too :-)

http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/5/1/test-forum

Thanks, but all of this makes a simple task overly complicated and inefficient.

It's not your fault (and you're just trying to be helpful, which I sincerely appreciate).

It's just another workflow degradation with the new <ahem> less-than-stellar editor.

Perhaps the Team will add it to the list for IPS.

Thanks again.

You should be able to easily do this by simply clicking the Quote link under the post you want to quote a few times OR you can select the Quote Box object in the Editor and copy & paste it as many times as needed. Then all you need to do is remove the stuff you are not responding to directly for that specific quote box and you are golden. It's actually quicker than BBCode. Below is an example where I'll quote @daledoc1 's last post and respond to each line individually.

quote_example_001.PNG

quote_example_003.PNG

quote_example_002.PNG

Below are the actual quotes!!

12 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

Thanks, but all of this makes a simple task overly complicated and inefficient.

Hopefully once you see these steps, it won't be an issue.

It's not your fault (and you're just trying to be helpful, which I sincerely appreciate).

We love hearing this. :) 

It's just another workflow degradation with the new <ahem> less-than-stellar editor.

Insert something here....??? I got nothing....

Perhaps the Team will add it to the list for IPS.

Maybe...if this isn't really working so to speak...

Thanks again.

No problem

On 4/5/2016 at 0:46 PM, Shrugged said:

Testing:

Test over.

Yes, but, as with the other suggestions, it's a clumsy workaround for a problem that did not exist when there was BBCode support.

It's just another example of degraded workflow with the new editor: tasks that used to take a few key strokes now take much, much longer, or even several minutes.
Features that weren't broken now are broken.  Many of the fixes are not really fixes.
But we've already discussed this at length...

Having said that, I really appreciate the input and hard work from those making the helpful suggestions and attempting to restore functionality.

Thanks (from the topic starter),

• celee changed the title to [RESOLVED] "Quote Reply": one chunk only?
  • celee locked this topic