laptop won't boot from external media

Hi,

My Toshiba Satellite P750 Windows 7 laptop will not boot.

If I try to boot from the internal hard drive, I arrive at the "Windows Error Recovery" screen. This screen presents 2 options:  "Launch Startup Repair"  and  "Start Windows Normally". However, at this point I cannot use the keyboard's down arrow to select the option to "Start Windows Normally" (Note: the keyboard arrows do function if I go into the BIOS Setup Utility, so there is not an issue with the keyboard itself). If I let the Startup Repair commence, it displays the Microsoft progress indicator for loading the repair utility, but it never actually finishes loading that utility (I tried letting it run for 72 hours before pulling the laptop's power cable).

Then, on a different computer, I prepared various USB and CDROM boot media (e.g. "BartPE" boot CD, AVG bootable scanning CD, bootable USB stick etc.) If I attempt to boot my laptop with any of these external media whilst the laptop's internal hard drive is present, it exhibits the same Windows Startup Repair utility that never actually loads (I assume this utility is being launched from the laptop's internal drive).

If I remove the laptop's internal hard drive and then attempt to boot from any of the external boot media, I encounter, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". It will not boot into BartPE's environment, nor any of the other external media's bootable environments.

Any suggestions as to strategy would be welcome........

Perhaps I have contracted a BIOS or Firmware rootkit?

Thanks.

Perhaps I have contracted a BIOS or Firmware rootkit?

Such thing if exists is so rare that for sure won't be used to target a small man but for some greater purposes (espionage or something like that), so don't be fooled by such fairy tales.

If you try to boot with bootable USBs and boot CDs you prepared without internal hard drive, what happens?

On 29/3/2016 at 6:54 PM, TwinHeadedEagle said:

If you try to boot with bootable USBs and boot CDs you prepared without internal hard drive, what happens?

Like I said in my post,  "If I remove the laptop's internal hard drive and then attempt to boot from any of the external boot media, I encounter, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". It will not boot into BartPE's environment, nor any of the other external media's bootable environments"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!