High CPU usage

randl

CPU usage climbs with any use and becomes unusable typically after 10-15 minutes.  Only fix is restart.  Run MBAM daily with no hits.  Also running Norton Security with nothing.  Consider a clean Windows 7 or 10 install.  This is a last resort.

• Root Admin

Please create a new System Restore Point - then uninstall all versions of Java.

Then run the following.

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • TFC.EXE
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

Then run a full disk check. Click on START and type in CMD.EXE and when it shows on the menu right click over it and select "Run as administrator"

CHKDSK   C:  /R

It will say it cannot lock the drive. Press the Y key and Enter key and restart the computer and let it run

It's probably too soon to draw a conclusion but after deleting Java and running TFC, the CPU usage is almost imperceptible, even with lots of programs running.  Right now, I've got my fingers crossed but something is different now.

Could Java and TFC, alone, do that much to reduce CPU usage?

• Root Admin

Probably not infected but let's take a look and make sure the box is not infected.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would close this out as my experience may be helpful to others.

My high CPU problem was resolved completely by adding an external fan to my laptop.  Monitoring temperature with SpeedFan, I found that if I keep the CPU at less than about 65C and monitor usage with Task Manager, CPU usage is barely detectable.  To do this, the fan has to run fairly fast and the noise can be distracting.  But I'll accept that to have a usable laptop,

I appreciate the help I received here.

- randl

Hey, @randl - welcome back, and thanks for posting back.

If it is cooling that is the problem, then it sounds like your laptop also needs a good old fashioned spring cleaning.  The higher temps on the CPU are probably causing the laptop to throttle its power down, using a built in feature such as Intel's SpeedStep.

If you cannot clean it yourself, or are not sure, the information David requested will definitely help us steer you in the right direction.  Or, you could also opt to taking it to a local repair shop to have them clean it out as well.

David, it's a Dell Latitude E6410, BIOS revision A16.  It has an NVIDIA graphics card that SpeedFan reports as the source of at least some of the heat.

John, it probably does need to be cleaned. I'll pull the keyboard and take care of that.  It always was hot on the bottom but the speed reductions got worse over the last year or so.

Thanks again, gentlemen,

-randl

Thanx for the information.

BIOS A16 is the current version.  I asked because I have seen a BIOS revision resolve overheating issues.

It is an easy system to work with.  Get a can of compressed air and open the bottom cover.  Use the compressed air and clean the heat fins, the fan intake and all air intake and outlet ports.