Hi, basically I have two questions:

1.) How do you run a full scan? The way I tried to do it was go into Custom Scan and select my C drive as well as all folders with in it that were shown. Is this the right way to run a full scan?

2.) What is the rough time it takes to run a full scan (if question 1 was done correctly) and a threat scan. My full scan took about 2 hours & 15 minutes whereas my threat scan takes about 20-30 minutes (was previously 40). Is this about right? I don't have lots of items on my computer nor is it bare with just a few apps and games. Does this sound about right?

Thanks in advance! 

Hi::)

1) Yes

2) It depends. There are many, many factors that impact scan times. There is no way to predict. (I have an extensive explanation of this, but, with our new forum software, it'll take me about an hour to edit it for posting in this new board.:()

Short version: the Threat scan is the default and recommended scan type -- it looks in all the places live malware is likely to hide. A routine, full, custom scan of your entire C: drive or entire system is neither necessary nor recommended, will be quite slow (especially if archive and rootkit scanning are enabled) and could cause excessive wear and tear on your hard drive. It is a task better suited to your antivirus.

Thank you,

To Add to DaleDoc's reply, for your system, those numbers look about right. 

Scan times are dependent upon a lot of factors, and also are highly dependent upon your system hardware, and in particular, CPU, RAM, and type of hard drive for your system (Mechanical vs. hybrid vs SSD).

8 minutes ago, John L. Galt said:

Scan times are dependent upon a lot of factors, and is also is highly dependent upon your system hardware, and in particular, CPU, RAM, and type of hard drive for your system (Mechanical vs. hybrid vs SSD).

Yeah, that was part of my lovely, artistically-crafted, neatly-formatted explanation.

Alas, it now looks like a dog's dinner (or the byproduct thereof) when I try to get the BBCode in here.

{But I digress...}

Scan Times vary due to many factors some of which are listed below:

Size of disk
Disk type
Disk speed
Disk caching
CPU speed
Controller type and speed
Operating System used
Amount of files (including temp files)
Amount of folders
Rootkit scan or not (is this enabled)
Archive scan or not (is this enabled)
Amount of archived files such as zip, rar, sfx, etc.
PUM/PUP scans
Other security programs running at the same time that may potentially be monitoring all file accesses by any other process.
Drive integrity - if a drive is failing it can take a long time to ignore and bypass sectors on a disk or simply fail period and hang the scan.
Other ongoing disk I/O processes
System being infected can also affect speed of scans
Also note that changes in the MBAM database can also cause scan times to increase or decrease, so that's another factor to consider. As mentioned => HERE <=

Sometimes a conflict with your antivirus may be possible as well, you can try adding exclusions in your AV, the files that need to be excluded can be found HERE

(Sometimes slowdowns are not due to conflicts between MBAM and the AV, per se, but rather to older hardware, insufficient RAM, cluttered disks, excessively tight security settings, etc.)

Scan Times vary due to many factors some of which are listed below:

To anyone reading this thread, please note:  Firefox does correctly write that these are only some of the factors involved.  Other factors can also be machine dependent, and some can be machine independent as well.

1 hour ago, daledoc1 said:

Hi::)

1) Yes

2) It depends. There are many, many factors that impact scan times. There is no way to predict. (I have an extensive explanation of this, but, with our new forum software, it'll take me about an hour to edit it for posting in this new board.:()

Short version: the Threat scan is the default and recommended scan type -- it looks in all the places live malware is likely to hide. A routine, full, custom scan of your entire C: drive or entire system is neither necessary nor recommended, will be quite slow (especially if archive and rootkit scanning are enabled) and could cause excessive wear and tear on your hard drive. It is a task better suited to your antivirus.

Thank you,

That's great. It used to take a good 40 minutes to do now it takes as little as 18 to run a threat scan. Basically, if the threat scan finds nothing, you're all good? Thanks mate :)

1 hour ago, John L. Galt said:

Scan times are dependent upon a lot of factors, and also are highly dependent upon your system hardware, and in particular, CPU, RAM, and type of hard drive for your system (Mechanical vs. hybrid vs SSD).

That's great John, thanks very much for your help! :) 

Yes, you should be all set.

Scans are just a second-opinion, to find things that have already made it past your AV.

If you are pleased with MBAM Free, you might consider upgrading to MBAM Premium, to get real-time protection to help PREVENT infection.

Thanks to @Firefox and @John L. Galt.

Cheers,

8 minutes ago, NUFC20 said:

One of my last posts on this thread. Just ran a threat scan today which included rootkits, archives and advanced heuristics;

Time: 00:14:20
Items scanned: 259, 000 (not dead on, just rounded up slightly)

Every system (and each scan on that system) will be different, for all the reasons @Firefox mentioned.

That does appear to be "in range".

But, without more data, we cannot say much more than that.:(

If you'd like further assistance, we'd need to see the SCAN LOG and perhaps some Diagnostic Logs

Having said all that, with MBAM Premium, scheduled scans can be configured to run automatically and silently, from the system account and at a convenient time, without user interaction.
So, there's no need to obsess over scan times.
And, as mentioned, daily Threat scans are typically more than sufficient for normal conditions. Routine or frequent "Custom", full scans are just going to flog your hard drive.

Cheers,

That's okay, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any files/items being missed during the threat scan, but if it sounds like its within normal range that's okay and hopefully it's all sorted. Will definitely be getting premium soon, cheers. :)