Computer freezes after latest update

I'm running Windows 8.1 and after the computer restarted after the update I have been unable to do anything. It freezes. I can't even shut down properly I have to hold the power key down. After the reboot it took me 4 or 5 attempts of rebooting to even be able to log in. I cannot open anything. Not even task manager 

Hello and :welcome::

Let's try this first.

1. Please carefully follow all the steps in this pinned topic to reinstall the latest build: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Be sure to reboot when prompted by the removal tool. It won't hurt to reboot again after the reinstall.

2. If that does not resolve your issue, please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thank you,

I can't open it to uninstall and I cannot get to any logs nor can I open a browser to attach to a reply. I literally cannot do anything. If I try to open something the computer completely freezes. I'm on my iPad trying to troubleshoot. After 15-20 reboots I was finally able to access the backup and recovery program for my computer and am hoping that fixes it but now I'm scared to reinstall the update if it does work. 

Can you get into Safe Mode with Networking?

Or have you been able to roll back (System Restore) to a point before the upgrade?

P.S. I know this is cold comfort at the moment, but this was only a minor patch build upgrade. I suspect something else is going on to cause this severe issue. But we will help you to get it sorted.

I was finally able to access the backup and recovery program for my computer and am hoping that fixes it

Were you able to complete the repair, or can you try a System Restore? Here is how to do that in Windows 8/8.1: System Restore - How to Do in Windows 8

If not, here is how to access Safe Mode in Windows 8.1: How to Start Windows 8 and 8.1 in Safe Mode

Thank you

P.S. >>I am NOT saying that you are infected. However, this particular sub-forum is not designed for deep diagnostic and repair interventions.  The forum mod team will probably move this thread to THIS OTHER FORUM area, where a trained expert will assist you, one on one, to get your computer back up and running.

10 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi Jenhoss,  From where did you try to begin a system restore?   But first, I must ask whether you tried Safe mode and if yes, one actually gets to see Windows with a Taskbar present?

The system restore I attempted was from before a 3/23 Windows update. I'm currently trying again through the dell backup and recovery. If that doesn't work I'll try safe mode to see if I can uninstall it. 

Please do not rush thru it.  My experience has been to only ever try doing a SR only from Safe mode.   Just let whatever you are doing finish, let us pause, and you tell me where it stands at that point.  Lots of patience, infinite patience is called for.

No, please do not change stuff, just now.  While still in there ( safe mode), can you just start the program and just do a basic Threat scan?

I would like to see if it can just work there.  I think we can do some bit of troubleshooting before jumping elsewhere.

OK.  That is a good sign.  What I would recommend is this.   1) No web surfing when we return back into normal mode.

2) set Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to not start with Windows  ( for the time being.  so we can do some other tests.)

Start M B A M.  Click Settings.   Click Advanced Settings.  UN_check the top 3 check-boxes so that our program does not auto-load.  Close the program.  Now do a Start - > Shutdown - > RESTART  and let Windows do a normal start.  Then have INFINITE patience and wait and see that Windows starts up ok.   Let me know if that is do-able.  If so, that would tell me that something else is going on.  and if the reverse is the case, then it is a conflict due to some other issue.   After you get the pc in regular Windows, I will need some good fresh new diagnostic reports before anything else.   Thank you.

Hi.  Your reports look fine. I see that this pc has McAfee.  So the  next thing that I would urge to be done is to set some trust settings for our software & theirs in to each of the two apps.
Please check the attached PDF document.  Use that as a guide on how to make adjustments in the 2 programs.
Let me know after that is done.

The next thing I would want to do is just a simple test.  I would expect that there are no issues found.
Start the program by doing a RIGHT-click on the Taskbar icon and select *Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware*.
on the Dashboard, click the Update ( blue link ).
click the *Scan Now >>* ( link)  button.

Click on the first column Threat scan*

A Threat Scan will begin.
When the scan is complete, Make sure to Review the results.   Look over the list please.

if there have been detections, if there have been detections, look over the list and insure all lines have  check-marks so that they can be removed

click **Remove selected** to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
In some cases, a restart will be required.
Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

Click on the *History* tab > *Application Logs*.
Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the last SCAN performed. Please make sure the word SCAN is shown and also that you grab the very latest Date. the most recent Scan run.
You can double click the line to get it on screen. Then use the menu at bottom of the window.

Click the EXPORT button at the bottom left.
Click *TEXT file*

Be very aware as to what folder and what NAME you give this report.  You have to make a note so you can send it.

Then attach that file with your next reply.

How to exclude files from VirusScan scanning.pdf

You will need to start our program from the Start menu or from the desktop shortcut.   Later ( after this test run) I will guide you further.  One of the things left to do is to turn back on our auto-start with Windows 8.1 startup.   It just seems to me at this time, that Windows had some sort of issues to work out.

At some opportune time, I would suggest doing a backup for your system.

+

Some suggested reading and general stuff:

One of the very early things you want to do is to make a Windows 8 rescue disc and store away for a rainy day
See Grinler's article  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

The other safe practice is to make backups of your system on a regular basis.

How to Create a System Image in Windows 8 and 8.1
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

How to create a Windows system image in Windows 7 and Windows 8
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/

How to use System Image Recovery in the Windows 7 and Windows 8 Recovery Environment
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/system-image-recovery-in-windows-7-8/

Using Windows Explorer, go to this folder on your system C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Plugins
You will see a Fixdamage.exe
Double click on it to start it to run.

It should run fairly quickly.

I would like for you to start the program. Click the Settings icon >> then Detection and Protection
are the 2 protections on for Malware protection + Malicious website protection ?

Click whichever one is not "ON" **slowly and wait just a bit**. They typically will get going but require some patience.

Then too, sometimes after doing the above, you also need to do a Start >> Logoff >> Shutdown >> Restart.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.