Jump to content

Fighting the editor


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because there are some bugs/issues with the editor does not mean the forum software as a whole is a "lemon". If I remember right, BBCode has become deprecated too. There is a Source button for the editor but therein lies the problem. It allows html, and that can be seen as a risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not having the issues you're talking of... Such as this one:
teMoFjp.png

 

Perhaps you should post what OS, browser, and even what pages you're encountering these issues on so the staff can further look into it.

Edited by Tarun
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not using anything outside the norm and both are standard, thus its a moot point.

The software is not just flawed, it is highly flawedFor me to make videos of the problems noted they have to be reproducible, and they are.

There is a laundry list of deficiencies, incapabilities and bugs.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

I am not using anything outside the norm and both are standard, thus its a moot point.

The software is not just flawed, it is highly flawedFor me to make videos of the problems noted they have to be reproducible, and they are.

There is a laundry list of deficiencies, incapabilities and bugs.

 

Yes, there is.

We went from an editor that worked in 2 modes to an editor that works poorly in only 1.
If BBCode has -- for no apparent credible reason -- been "deprecated" (as so many are so quick to point out), then the WYSIWYG editor ought to work well.
It does not.
I mean no disrespect, but the post volume here is quite a bit higher than at @Tarun's forum.  What works there may not work as well here under different conditions.
Those of us who try to help a lot of users here (with or without standardized help for simple, standard problems;)) experience the workflow degradation every day, with nearly every post.
Cumbersome workarounds that turn 1-step or 1-click tasks into clunky chores are not a good solution for a computer support forum. And some functionality has been lost entirely.

I have been around here long enough to know that it's easy to be complacent now, when the forum traffic is relatively light (except perhaps in HJT and the MBARW-Beta sections).
When the next new major MBAM build is released, forum traffic for MBAM product support will skyrocket (it always does, no matter how "stable" the new version might be).
Everyone and anyone who helps (volunteers and staff) will be hamstrung when that happens, if the forum software/editor issues are not fixed by then.

I hope I am wrong...
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

...But more than likely you're spot on.  Even with my tinkering and figuring out various things to make stuff work the way it did before, it is still cumbersome, as DD1, David, and quite a few others (including myself) have posted.

I spent a good bit of time making up my FP report in the Anti-Ransomware forum, and I'll have to say that generating that post took more time because I was organizing what I wanted to say, gathering required material, particularly the screenshots, but for once the software complied and I had 0 issues making that post.  I actually used the Drag & Dropfeature to add screenshots and it worked like a champ.  Copying sections of a post for quoted replies works perfectly fine now that I know how to do it - and I experience a lot of the bugs mentioned in these threads much less often than others - but even then, I have to say that the WYSIWYG editor leaves a lot to be desired, particularly when other posts have shown that a lot of BBCode is still perfectly valid and usable in the editor, but the way image tags are handled breaks a lot of the responders' usability here when trying to use a canned reply.  I've resorted to having another tab open where I can copy forum links easily to add to my post when making canned replies rather than trying to use the older BBCode based canned responses simply because it is a lot faster to type my response and then paste the link(s) as needed.  But it gets cumbersome when I want (nee, need) to say the same thing over and over and yet I have to compose it every single time from scratch.  It does take more time, and it gets frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

I mean no disrespect, but the post volume here is quite a bit higher than at @Tarun's forum.  What works there may not work as well here under different conditions.

For what it's worth, the screenshot I posted was done here on this site. How is it that David cannot cut/copy/paste after highlighting text, yet I'm able to with no issues? Same group which means same permissions.

I'm still waiting to hear what OS, browser, etc David is using. From what I've seen in the videos I have a suspicion as to what the issue could be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried figuring that out myself.  The only thing that makes sense is that when this happens there is a forum hiccup - because when it hiccups, I find nearly everything in the editor breaks.

I have no issues using copy and paste and cut in the editor at any given moment when the boards are not having issues, like now:

MBAM Forums Testing 4.PNG

 

However, in either another thread, or else earlier in this one, I made a note of the fact that the WYSIWYG editor breaks if the page loads abnormally, and then Firefox does not treat it a a test entry box anymore, which means that the editing functions break.  Thus, I surmise that the issues like that particular one pop up only when the board is having an issue.

I'll look around for my post so I can link to it in a few minutes.

NOTE: Added the following

OK, here is the thread I created about that.  Hopefully it will help shed some light on what I was attempting to say above.

 

Edited by John L. Galt
Added note
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, now something new comes arround the corner.  @Tarun  You think that it might be related to the os and the browser so that would be something if the editor would be just rule out some os and browser.

My OS is Windows 10 pro 64 bit and the browser is Chrome Version 51.0.2704.22 beta-m (64-bit)   and it doesn't work so perfect for me either.

I can try on other browsers too for the differance, also on my Windows 7/ Win 10 home    Firefox, Edge  IE, but I don't think that will make it better or worse 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Editor may have been worked on but nothing has changed.  I went through a series of tests and recorded a series of takes.  What I experienced was consistent in that every take had a demonstrable bug and I was consistent in what I was trying to perform using this editor.  What wasn't consistent was the actual bugs. 

So I kept two takes demonstrating two types of bugs.

Version A:   Fighting The Editor E5a.wmv

Version B:   Fighting The Editor E5b.wmv

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

The Editor may have been worked on but nothing has changed.  I went through a series of tests and recorded a series of takes.  What I experienced was consistent in that every take had a demonstrable bug and I was consistent in what I was trying to perform using this editor.  What wasn't consistent was the actual bugs. 

So I kept two takes demonstrating two types of bugs.

Version A:   Fighting The Editor E5a.wmv

Version B:   Fighting The Editor E5b.wmv

 

@David H. Lipman - Still you are avoiding answering my question. Why?

This is the third time I'm having to ask. What is your OS? Browser? What pages are these errors?

Additionally, have you cleared your cache and even cookies?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

@Tarun Not sure that OS or Browser (unless a non main stream browser) really matter. One has to assume that a user is going to be using one of these and it should work without errors.

Internet Explorer 8 or above, more and more we'll be seeing IE 11 and Edge
Firefox
Opera
Safari

I'm using Windows 7 x64 on Firefox 46.0 released latest version and I'm able to replicate these issues too.

It's not a page error - it's creating a new topic, replying to a topic. It is not forum or sub-forum specific or user rights specific. I have Root Admin rights and these errors happen to me as well.  I know how to work around them but  one should have to work around them. Regular users certainly won't know how to.
 

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Link to post
Share on other sites

It actually can depending on if he's running out of date software. I've seen this over on another site where I moderate. People on out of date, legacy, unsupported Operating Systems and Browsers were having a ton of issues. Did you notice in his videos it looks like the Classic Windows shell? That's why I believe this information is relevant.

Additonally, @AlexSmith was talking with me via PM about the oddities in my signature. It can be browser specific, it seems. However, it's also inconsistent. If you look in John's screenshot you'll see my signature looks fine. Yet after that it has the white line again.

Edited by Tarun
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tarun said:

It actually can depending on if he's running out of date software. I've seen this over on another site where I moderate. People on out of date, legacy, unsupported Operating Systems and Browsers were having a ton of issues. Did you notice in his videos it looks like the Classic Windows shell? That's why I believe this information is relevant.

Additonally, @AlexSmith was talking with me via PM about the oddities in my signature. It can be browser specific, it seems. However, it's also inconsistent. If you look in John's screenshot you'll see my signature looks fine. Yet after that it has the white line again.

I mentioned it to you before.

Before I saw 3 lines.  The signature was in 4 pieces.

Right now I see a single small line in the middle.  It makes it harder to see the fact that the colors are different in the top half versus bottom half.

Let's see if it is captured right now as I see it:

Tarun's Signature.PNG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Root Admin

Yes, I can understand and fully agree that browsers do heavily influence look and feel of a website and has been the bane of many a web programmer now for countless years. But that said the overall use of a site should still reasonably produce similar look and feel. The underlying code to achieve that can be difficult. In my case I'm up to date (aside from going to Windows 10) but I would still say that XP supports all the HTML 5 and CSS 3 coding.

 

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Tarun said:

That's how I see it as well. Alex was kind enough to try and fix it which got rid of the excess lines. Sadly, it has to be fixed in the database. :\

Oh yeah?

 

Explain this:  These were taken 10 seconds apart from 2 differnt posts in this very thread:

Tarun's Signature 3.PNG

Tarun's Signature 2.PNG

Same browser, same login, same time stamp... now what else can we test?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Ron.

Here's one that isn't common knowledge.  Reference:  UBB Code Tag test

That's my KiXtart Function() in that thread which I identified to Ron. 

It is not me, it is the Forum software.

BTW:  My "Workaround" is to use Notepad and another Forum's Editor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, John L. Galt said:

Oh yeah?

 

Explain this:  These were taken 10 seconds apart from 2 differnt posts in this very thread:

Tarun's Signature 3.PNG

Tarun's Signature 2.PNG

Same browser, same login, same time stamp... now what else can we test?

That's what I want to know. Why did that one look fine? Now it doesn't...

Just now, David H. Lipman said:

Thank you Ron.

Here's one that isn't common knowledge.  Reference:  UBB Code Tag test

That's my KiXtart Function() in that thread which I identified to Ron. 

It is not me, it is the Forum software.

BTW:  My "Workaround" is to use Notepad and another Forum's Editor.

@David H. Lipman - Why are you still avoiding the question? You're complaining about a problem and not providing any information that would be valuable in debunking and resolving the issue...

Complaining does not fix issues. Information that lets people look into issues is beneficial.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.