"Recent topics" and "Recent Posts" on main page

Please restore "Recent Topics" and "Recent Posts" to the forum main page.

The "All Activity" link is a needless extra step and presents the data in a poorly organized, hard-to-manage format -- For example, it's too hard to spot new posts/topics by either legit users who need help, or by spammers.

These features have been restored at other fora running 4.1.x (e.g. lunarsoft), so I know it can be done.

It makes sense to have the information available on the main page, without having to jump hoops to see it. sort it, filter it...

Thanks,

I would like that as well. Plus, that feature allows us to spot spammers easily. Otherwise right now, we have to pretty much visit every section manually and see if there isn't a spammer that slipped by.

• Staff

I grumbled about this one last week.  I still grumble...gotta make sure is doing that job properly.  Go to ACTIVITY, then make a CUSTOM STREAM.  Mine is TODAY.  After going into TODAY, a line opens up underneath the topic which says "SHOW ME" among other things.  Experiment with that so you only see one instance of a thread instead of who knows how many depending on the thread's popularity.

Now I gotta find something new to grumble about...

Ahh, now that makes sense.  I wasn't sure what that particular setting was for, but in retrospect, I should have figured that out.  Making the change now.

Thanks!

Made the change, and glad it at least had a way of letting me do so and saving it to the custom defined scheme instead of having to start all over.  Moreover, the condensed view near the top right makes that stream much more manageable as well.

While I have to say that old method was nice, it was built in, with very little fiddling allowed.  This new method allowing us to customize the stream(s) to our liking with the custom stream page is actually quite good.

As @gonzo said, now I have to find something else to complain about....

And none of this "custom", tedious workflow should be the default.
Make it available for those who want to fiddle with it? Sure.

All I am asking is to restore to main page the basic snapshot of recent activity, as we had before and as has been restored at other fora running IPS 4.1.x (see screen shot).

Cheers,

2016-03-26_13-27-22.png

• Staff

I fully agree.  I have a choice of spending a lot more time to do what I need to do on the forums, or focus my energies on what I actually get paid for doing.  My backlog is far too big to be trying to find sanity-restoring workarounds right now.

Lol.  I think that I might have to disagree with you on this particular case.  I don't want to see that on the main screen, much in the same way that neither Dave nor I want to see that same sort of stream in the PM section.  I want it hidden and available on demand only.  Then again, though, my need for it is far different than yours, as I don't do HJT log analysis.

The best bet, again, would be to make it user choice - not only have  the activity stream(s) for use on demand, but a setting that puts any particular stream right on the main page for users like you who want it there.  Same with the PM stream.  Then, those of us that want it hidden can keep it hidden, and those that want it displayed, can keep it displayed.  But, my guess is that this is an IPS thing - they'll need to code it that way.

I wonder if the two sections are different like that for a reason?  Previously, from my understanding, the main page was like you show, as is the PM stream.  Now, the PM stream hasn't changed but the main page has?

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I fully agree.  I have a choice of spending a lot more time to do what I need to do on the forums, or focus my energies on what I actually get paid for doing.  My backlog is far too big to be trying to find sanity-restoring workarounds right now.

Well, at least you're being paid.:D

Many of us -- including the dedicated, hard-working volunteer malware helpers -- are not.

Not just yes but HELL YES !

Except I don't get paid.  So why am I putting myself though the anxiety that this crapware software creates.

@gonzo: Thanks.  We are *all* here as members of the community.

@John L. Galt: Agree to disagree, as we use the forum in different ways, but a choice would be nice.

@Khadijah: Thanks. Alas, that is not quite what we're talking about. And some of us specifically would like to see certain basic forum content WITHOUT having to perform all the mouse-clicks and customization.

It was present in version 3.4.x, and it has been restored to version 4.1.x at other fora, so it must be possible.

Thanks, all

@daledoc1 I agree with you on that. I miss the list on the forum index too when you just could see the new topics and post with a wink of the eye.

for now I just have to do with the list under unread content. Though it must not be so hard to restore in any forumversion the new topic feeds on the Indexpage. Hope they will do that asap. 

28 minutes ago, AlexSmith said:

Thanks for sharing this feedback. We will look in to our options.

Thanks.

It need not be large and I have no problem with a "Hide" button to suit those who don't care to see it.  But I would certainly like to get it back, especially since there seems to be sufficient real estate for it.

Thanks again,

Politely bumping this, albeit prematurely, coming off the holiday weekend.;)

1) There is a TON of wasted real estate on the main page.

2) It helps to spot spam posts & legit posts from users needing assistance without jumping hoops.

3) We've had it before (and other fora, such as bleeping still have it).

4) It can be done - lunarsoft forums under 4.1 have it.

Thanks for listening.

21 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

Politely bumping this, albeit prematurely, coming off the holiday weekend.;)

1) There is a TON of wasted real estate on the main page.

2) It helps to spot spam posts & legit posts from users needing assistance without jumping hoops.

3) We've had it before (and other fora, such as bleeping still have it).

4) It can be done - lunarsoft forums under 4.1 have it.

Thanks for listening.

Passed along information on how to find this and enable it. Glad to see it's enabled now. :)