Tayls

Blocking gstatic.com

Malwarebytes keeps blocking a site "gstatic.com" with some subdomains such as "fonts.gstatic.com" and "ssl.gstatic.com"

This happened originally on chrome, so I uninstalled it after clearing my add-ons. It also happens on edge, on almost every website I visit.

Any help regarding to whether this is safe or not and how to remove it would be greatly appreciated! :D

I'm having the same problem this morning. Pop-up occurs every five seconds. I ran a scan with MalwareBytes, but it didn't detect it. Please help.

From what I found doing research of it. gstatic is owned by google. 

Google has off-loaded static content (JavaScript code, images and CSS) to a different domain name in an effort to reduce bandwidth usage and increase network performance for the end user.

• increases performance by increasing, in theory, the number of connections the browser can use, by default, most browsers will only make two connections to a single server. While this is configurable, most users don't bother, so having content come from multiple domains, it can open two connections for every domain the site uses. This loads the content into the users browser faster.

• decreases bandwidth by disabling cookies and other HTTP headers for the gstatic.comdomain. Believe it or not, disabling headers greatly reduces bandwidth usage, especially if a page uses a lot of static files.

• static content can be offloaded to geographically diverse CDN servers. Google can push all the content to servers that are nearest to you. This is probably more applicable to a normal corporate site, as Google does a great job of pushing everything to a datacenter closest to you. But for a normal company, you could split out your dynamic content and your static content and then pay a CDN provider to host your static content, reducing your corporate datacenter's bandwidth usage, while improving load times for your user.

But seems like the issue just popped up with malwarebytes

Getting the same thing, the malwarebyes pop-up spam seems to have calmed down a lot now, only one every one or two minutes or longer.
*knocks on wood*

1 minute ago, Insecure said:

So.... Add to exclusions then?

I'd wait and see to be completely honest with you. Might have been an issue on their end

5 minutes ago, Cujo89 said:

From what I found doing research of it. gstatic is owned by google. 

Google has off-loaded static content (JavaScript code, images and CSS) to a different domain name in an effort to reduce bandwidth usage and increase network performance for the end user.

• increases performance by increasing, in theory, the number of connections the browser can use, by default, most browsers will only make two connections to a single server. While this is configurable, most users don't bother, so having content come from multiple domains, it can open two connections for every domain the site uses. This loads the content into the users browser faster.

• decreases bandwidth by disabling cookies and other HTTP headers for the gstatic.comdomain. Believe it or not, disabling headers greatly reduces bandwidth usage, especially if a page uses a lot of static files.

• static content can be offloaded to geographically diverse CDN servers. Google can push all the content to servers that are nearest to you. This is probably more applicable to a normal corporate site, as Google does a great job of pushing everything to a datacenter closest to you. But for a normal company, you could split out your dynamic content and your static content and then pay a CDN provider to host your static content, reducing your corporate datacenter's bandwidth usage, while improving load times for your user.

But seems like the issue just popped up with malwarebytes

Thanks for the info, at least it's reassuring that malwarebytes is working

Same, Most likely it's the latest version of MalwareBytes thinking a google run service is Malware, it's happened in the past. Stopped for me now

Switched to Firefox. All was well until I decided to go to G-Mail, then it started popping up again. Left G-Mail and it stopped.

Started happening this morning after I updated chrome. Hope someone can confirm that this is legit and we can add exclusion.

Google searches show there is a ssl.gstatic.com virus thingy in the past.

I have this same issue, scanned with MB and nothing, hope this is a false positive!

Unfortunately there are many IP ranges associated with gstatic and I don't want to block their ranges so I'm waiting to see what MB says.....