Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Remove list of messages when viewing a PM

On the left of the screen is a list of Personal Messages and it it showing while I am viewing a PM.

When I am in a PM correspondence I only want to see that correspondence.  I don't want to see a list of other PM conversations.

It is annoying, distracting, wastes space and interferes with the correspondence at hand.

Thanks for your feedback!!  That appears to be the default structure of the Messages area of iPS v4 and is structured like an email client. The list you are seeing is actually your Inbox folder and any messages inside of it.

I don't think this is something that can be changed, but we can certainly discuss it if there is an overall need to change it. Do other users dislike an email client-like layout?

I should be changed.  The software only provides a fixed area of the Browser no matter what the Screen Resolution and Browser Resolution is set to.  It thus uses ~33% of that for the Personal Message list.  It is not structured like an email client as it lists all PMs even if the PMs are in their own folders.  When you have many PMs it then creates confusion.  That is why email clients have a folder capability so like email is grouped logically.  The list obfuscates the logical message storage.  Additionally email clients ( and even Webmail ) that have Rules or use Regular Expressions to automatically move email into folders will show a number related to how many unread messages are in said folder.  Not the actual messages.  it takes up too much space of the limited space the software uses, the Icons, Avatars and fonts are tool large and are disproportionate as is bloody annoying.  When I am in my email client it launches its own window for viewing and for creation.  Thus I can resize it to whatever dimension is appropriate and that foreground window blocks the view of rear windows so that email has my full and undivided attention.

At the very minimum.

1.  Fix the the limited and fixed viewing area problem.  It is affect all aspects of the use of this Forum.

2.  Fix the proportionality problem.  Remember a person's Avatar and BIO is insignificant.  This is a communication medium and thus the words we write and read have higher significance and importance level and thus the content must be apportioned and sized accordingly.

3.  Make the list show message folders, not individual messages with a number representing unread PMs in that folder.

4.  Make it a Pull-Down option such that when you choose to view it a Window expands showing the list of message folders and a number of unread PMs and when you choose not to view it, the window is collapsed.

1 hour ago, David H. Lipman said:

Remember a person's Avatar and BIO is insignificant.

It would also help if you got rid of that flapping avatar David. Its very annoying on the eye. Thanks for understanding. As this so called update is awful on the eye

I think a great solution here would be two-fold.

1. Install a couple of themes that allow a widescreen view of the forum software.  On my 23" monitor at 1080p res, I have well over 2" of wasted space on both sides of the main viewing area, regardless of if I am in the main forums, looking at my PMs, or even my own profile.  Another site I frequent (family of sites, actually -  Vistax64/sevenforums/eightforums/tenforums) have a few themes allowing for users to adjust based upon their personal preference.  For me, their widescreen dark theme is the best as it takes up all of my real estate horizontally, and uses light colored fonts on a dark background, making it a lot easier (for me, personally, that is) to read.

2. In the messages section, IPS should be able to make that message list on the left collapsible, from right there on the message list itself, using DHTML and CSS.  A small menu button up there would allow the user to collapse it or pin it (pinned being the current default).  What I'm envisioning is a dual setting - either show always, or else show on click, just like the notification and message panels do at the top of the main forums.  This would give the user the choice as to how the menu presents itself.  However, making the menu automagically appear when hovering over it would not be the best option, but if that is the only way to make it happen, then so be it, but I would prefer manual control on setting its state.  @David H. Lipman and @Firefox, what do you think about this particular suggestion?

Edited by John L. Galt
Fixed typographical errors

3 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

I should be changed.  The software only provides a fixed area of the Browser no matter what the Screen Resolution and Browser Resolution is set to.  It thus uses ~33% of that for the Personal Message list.

I see what you are saying about it not utilizing the screen real estate. I'm not sure if this is adjustable or not, but it is something we can discuss with IPS. Appreciate the feedback on this.

It is not structured like an email client as it lists all PMs even if the PMs are in their own folders.  When you have many PMs it then creates confusion.  That is why email clients have a folder capability so like email is grouped logically.  The list obfuscates the logical message storage.

Can you double check that? I created a Test folder and was able to move PMs there and they did not show up in the default inbox folder. Did I perhaps misunderstand this piece of your feedback?

Additionally email clients ( and even Webmail ) that have Rules or use Regular Expressions to automatically move email into folders will show a number related to how many unread messages are in said folder.  Not the actual messages.  it takes up too much space of the limited space the software uses, the Icons, Avatars and fonts are tool large and are disproportionate as is bloody annoying.

The list of messages in a current folder shows you only a small preview of the message. Specifically, it shows the avatar of the author, title of the message, short preview of the first sentence, and a preview of who the message was sent to. This view almost mimics the default view of Outlook (Desktop App, Office 365 Web App) and the Mail App in Windows 10. Granted it doesn't match the default view of Gmail, but it does align with some very common email clients from what I can see.

When I am in my email client it launches its own window for viewing and for creation.  Thus I can resize it to whatever dimension is appropriate and that foreground window blocks the view of rear windows so that email has my full and undivided attention.

That may be the default experience in Google Mail and some other email clients, but at the same time it is not the case for very popular ones like Outlook and Mail and a lot of other web clients too. This is usually a customized option/setting in most email clients I have worked with. No matter what, thank you for the experience feedback.

At the very minimum.

1.  Fix the the limited and fixed viewing area problem.  It is affect all aspects of the use of this Forum.

2.  Fix the proportionality problem.  Remember a person's Avatar and BIO is insignificant.  This is a communication medium and thus the words we write and read have higher significance and importance level and thus the content must be apportioned and sized accordingly.

You bring up a great set of points here that has been said a few times about unused real estate. It's something we are looking in to. We don't have all the answers just yet, so hang tight.

@MikeW:

You know the answer to...

It would also help if you got rid of that flapping avatar David. Its very annoying on the eye. Thanks for understanding. As this so called update is awful on the eye

Is... When Pigs Fly !.

5 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

I think a great solution here would be two-fold.

1. Install a couple of themes that allow a widescreen view of the forum software.  On my 23" monitor at 1080p res, I have well over 2" of wasted space on both sides of the main viewing area, regardless of if I am in the main forums, looking at my PMs, or even my own profile.  Another site I frequent (family of sites, actually -  Vistax64/sevenforums/eightforums/tenforums) have a few themes allowing for users to adjust based upon their personal preference.  For me, their widescreen dark theme is the best as it takes up all of my real estate horizontally, and uses light colored fonts on a dark background, making it a lot easier (for me, personally, that is) to read.

2. In the messages section, IPS should be able to make that message list on the left collapsible, from right there on the message list itself, using DHTML and CSS.  A small menu button up there would allow the user to collapse it or pin it (pinned being the current default).  What I'm envisioning is a dual setting - either show always, or else show on click, just like the notification and message panels do at the top of the main forums.  This would give the user the choice as to how the menu presents itself.  However, making the menu automagically appear when hovering over it would not be the best option, but if that is the only way to make it happen, then so be it, but I would prefer manual control on setting its state.  @David H. Lipman and @Firefox, what do you think about this particular suggestion?

I can't speak to using using DHTML and CSS as that is outside my scope.  However I have always thought the concepts of "skins" is a powerful capability.  A choice of skin, a theme in other terms, can allow one system to be used proficiently by many people who prefer many styles.  Skins and profiles give an application a greater acceptability and thus usability and subsequently a performance enhancer and a force multiplier.  However it has the dark side of overhead making the programmer's job harder.  I always thought Microsoft should have implemented a Pull-Down menu skin alternative to Office 2007.  But then I realized it was a deliberate action to give Microsoft affiliates a new income stream such that the "partners" can profit from having to train the older workforce.

While I think it is a good idea, I also think it is far beyond what Invision will do.  They have exhibited hubris and corporate arrogance thinking that v4 is a great product that at best needs tweaking.

• Root Admin

Good skinning is not easy and is normally undertaken by a team experienced with graphics and web layout that then works with a coding person or group that makes the underlying code changes to achieve the graphic artists vision of the look. I've seen many try it on their own and typically it turns out worse than the default layout. I'm not sure we have anyone inside the company with those skills and time to dedicate to it or not. We will be discussing it further internally but I would not expect any immediate changes in this  area. Regardless of who creates it how well it looks there will always be those that don't like it. Certainly room for improvement but it may have to wait till a little further down the line.