2016.03.23.06 update issues: update doesn't finish

I am in the midst of a severe t-storm with hail and need to get offline, so this will be brief (no time for logs or deep troubleshooting).

TMALSS: my systems are not "unhooking" from the update servers.  The GUI freezes as in screenshot, and the right-click context menu update option is grayed out. This is on BOTH boxes.

2.2.0.1024 Premium on both boxes. Specs in my signature.

This has happened before a while ago, and it was a server/cdn issue.

As it's happening on both systems, neither of which has had any system/hardware/software changes, I doubt the problem is at my end.

Thanks,

1-2016-03-23_22-31-57.png

And now I see this, on both systems, and the update option is still grayed out in the system tray context menu, despite:

• Exiting/restarting MBAM and manually checking for updates;
  • Rebooting systems.

Protection log from one rig attached.

No, I haven't done a clean upgrade to 2.2.1.1043, yet.

If it's an update server issue, updating the program is not likely to help.

>>I (and other users) have seen this behavior before and it was a server/cdn/bad update issue.

It affected many, but not all, users, depending on their location on the network.

Thanks,

2-2016-03-23_23-30-58.png

Update-error-03232016.txt

Not saying it will fix your issue, but the latest version is suppose to fix this issue...

MBAM 2.2.1 Patch Release

Issues Fixed:

• Fixed security vulnerability to ensure database updates are downloaded over SSL connections only
  • Fixed crash that occurred if Dell Backup and Recovery software was installed on same system
  • Fixed issue where scheduled scan did not honor weekly recurrence properly
  • Fixed issue where license expiration notices were incorrectly displaying multiple times in rapid succession
  • Fixed issue where the Scheduler would continue to run in certain cases after a trial had expired
  • Fixed issue where the update progress bar on the Dashboard would appear to hang and would never complete
  • Several improvements to Chameleon self-protection

Good catch @Firefox

I now recall that, the last time this happened, it was at the time of the last build release.  Thanks very much for jogging my memory.

Users who have "give me program updates" disabled will see this anomalous updating behavior when the update servers want to push out the program update.

It's really a "bug" with the auto-updater, and now I recall that this is not the first time it happened.

Users who want to control program updates ought to be able to perform database updates without errors or "hang ups" or failures.  Otherwise, there's not much point in having the option to disable automatic program updates.  As it stands now (at least in 2.2.0.1024), once the program update is "available", the user is pretty much forced to update the program, whether they want to or not. 

So, yes, a clean upgrade to  2.2.1.1043 on the first rig did solve the problem. I expect it will resolve it on the other rig, too.  But it's sloppy programming.

>>>>Perhaps 2.2.1.1043 fixes this, so that the next time a new program build is released, the auto-updater won't gag if program auto-updates are disabled????

Thanks,

Thanks.
The only time I have seen this behavior recently has been at the time a new program version has shipped.

So the questions remain, as it's not clear from the new build changelog:

1. Does 2.2.1.1043 fix this, so that the next time a new program build is released, the auto-updater won't gag if program auto-updates are disabled???
  2. Or is this still an unfixed bug in 2.2.1.1043?

Perhaps an MBAM Product/QA/Dev Team Member can clarify that?

Thanks again, @Firefox

As has been mentioned this behavior can occur when a new version is released.  It happened to me last October when there was a new version (I started a thread where the behavior was confirmed by a staff member) and it is happening now on all my machines. I really don't think the new version resolves the issue per se as has been stated but somehow having the new version available causes the old version to exhibit the stated behavior.  I have not done it yet but I am sure updating to the current version will resolve it.  

*I am having an additional problem on one system that I am also hoping the new version will solve, but that is for a different thread.

6 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

1. Does 2.2.1.1043 fix this, so that the next time a new program build is released, the auto-updater won't gag if program auto-updates are disabled???

Hi daledoc1 --

Apologies for the confusion!

It is our sincere hope that this issue is actually fixed in 2.2.1.1043 so you should NOT see this behavior when you upgrade to this version.  Please let me know if this is not the case.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

Thanks.
The only time I have seen this behavior recently has been at the time a new program version has shipped.

Perhaps an MBAM Product/QA/Dev Team Member can clarify that?

Thanks again, @Firefox

5 hours ago, bru said:

As has been mentioned this behavior can occur when a new version is released.  It happened to me last October when there was a new version (I started a thread where the behavior was confirmed by a staff member) and it is happening now on all my machines. I really don't think the new version resolves the issue per se as has been stated but somehow having the new version available causes the old version to exhibit the stated behavior.  I have not done it yet but I am sure updating to the current version will resolve it.  

*I am having an additional problem on one system that I am also hoping the new version will solve, but that is for a different thread.

4 hours ago, bdubrow said:

Hi daledoc1 --

It is our sincere hope that this issue is actually fixed in 2.2.1.1043 so you should NOT see this behavior when you upgrade to this version.  Please let me know if this is not the case.

Thanks!

I have seen many posts like this in the past, almost always when the new version of MBAM is pushed out through the auto-update channel.  I'm beginning to see a pattern here....

Because of this issue one machine got stuck trying to update the database as the first step in a scheduled (missed) scan.  Even though the database was up to date, though the progress bar was the same as in daledoc1's screenshot and the update button was grayed out.  Good thing I took a look as I assume it would have been stuck there indefinitely. I had to kill MBAM and restart the program.  Waiting for this one to offer the update and hoping that will fix the issue.

21 hours ago, bdubrow said:

Hi daledoc1 --

Thanks!

Thanks, @bdubrow

That is good news.
We will have to wait until the next program version ships to know for sure that the fix has worked.
But I will assume that it has.

You may lock this thread, if you wish.

Thanks,