Incorrect version reporting?

Is there a version reporting error in MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, between the executable's file version property and the app's reporting in the title-bar?  Here's what I observed:

I had prior installed Malwarebytes AntiMalware (Free), version 2.2.0.1024, when today Secunia PSI reported that it was out-of-date and needed updating (but Secunia reported I had version 2.3.x.x, but the latest was 2.2.1 (note I can't recall exactly which subversion of 2.3 it reported)).

That seemed odd since 2.3 *should* be newer than 2.2.1, and I didn't install 2.3, so perhaps MBAM.exe was auto-updating itself (check for program updates when checking for database updates, was CHECKED), but it it was truly updated, why the Secunia warning?

I checked the file properties for mbam.exe under the install directory (Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe, there it said it was still in fact 2.2.0.  OK, but if the auto-update wasn't updating the file properties, then perhaps the Secunia warning was a false positive?

As an experiment, I uninstalled MalwareBytes, downloaded it again (the download file was named mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043), installed it, ran it, and now the titlebar says 2.2.1.1043, but the file property for mbam.exe says its 2.3.173.0.  Closing and reopening it still reports 2.2.1.1043, despite the file property being newer.

So, there seems a clear conflict in version reporting between the app's titlebar (e.g. now 2.2.1.1043), and the file property file version (2.3.173.0), and this is either confusing Secunia PSI, *OR*, the updates are not property working (as a couple of forum posters have recently noted; bdubrow (staff member) recently wrote that automatic upgrades aren't yet enabled for 2.2.1, but, it be nice if this was posted on the blogs or somewhere so there's clarity?!?).  

Installed version: MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free version

Windows 7 64 bits, all MS critical security patches installed.

Is this a known problem?  Thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome @nerdlyone

I can not reply on how Secunia does its processing on file and program versions.

As for Malwarebytes, don't confuse the Program version with a File Version.  Both are different.  If you were to do properties on all the files in the MBAM folder you would get different results on the file versions.

Basically the file version does not depict the Program version.

HTH 

8 minutes ago, menace97 said:

i am having the same issue as you @nerdlyone - at least with the current version showing 2.2.0.1024, but knowing that there is an update (2.2.1.1043). i have run update and it doesn't find any updates to the software.

after reading this, i see now why this is happening. my apologies :)

We’ll be enabling automatic upgrades for current users beginning next week.  If you’d like to upgrade before then, simply download the new version from the link above and install.  NOTE:  Upgrades to current users were enabled on 3/22/16.  We'll be rolling these out slowly over time, so it may still take some time for you to see a notification that a new version is available.  

10 hours ago, nerdlyone said:

Is there a version reporting error in MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, between the executable's file version property and the app's reporting in the title-bar?  Here's what I observed:

I had prior installed Malwarebytes AntiMalware (Free), version 2.2.0.1024, when today Secunia PSI reported that it was out-of-date and needed updating (but Secunia reported I had version 2.3.x.x, but the latest was 2.2.1 (note I can't recall exactly which subversion of 2.3 it reported)).

That seemed odd since 2.3 *should* be newer than 2.2.1, and I didn't install 2.3, so perhaps MBAM.exe was auto-updating itself (check for program updates when checking for database updates, was CHECKED), but it it was truly updated, why the Secunia warning?

I checked the file properties for mbam.exe under the install directory (Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe, there it said it was still in fact 2.2.0.  OK, but if the auto-update wasn't updating the file properties, then perhaps the Secunia warning was a false positive?

As an experiment, I uninstalled MalwareBytes, downloaded it again (the download file was named mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043), installed it, ran it, and now the titlebar says 2.2.1.1043, but the file property for mbam.exe says its 2.3.173.0.  Closing and reopening it still reports 2.2.1.1043, despite the file property being newer.

So, there seems a clear conflict in version reporting between the app's titlebar (e.g. now 2.2.1.1043), and the file property file version (2.3.173.0), and this is either confusing Secunia PSI, *OR*, the updates are not property working (as a couple of forum posters have recently noted; bdubrow (staff member) recently wrote that automatic upgrades aren't yet enabled for 2.2.1, but, it be nice if this was posted on the blogs or somewhere so there's clarity?!?).  

Installed version: MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free version

Windows 7 64 bits, all MS critical security patches installed.

Is this a known problem?  Thanks in advance.

Nope.  It is intended behavior.

MBAM is a suite of products, with multiple executable software.  The suite itself is currently advertised as as version 2.2.1.1043, but the actual mbam.exe version is, in fact 2.3.173.0.  See the attached.

MBAM executable properties.PNG

Secunia is reading the file properties of this file, and thus displaying a different version than what you expect to see.

HTH

Edited by John L. Galt
fixed typographical error