antivirus

:welcome:

Please let us know right away the Brand-name of antivirus on this machine.  Is it McAfee, TrendMicro, Norton / Symantec, Security Essentials, Avast, BitDefender,  Kaspersky, or some other brand, which one exactly?

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some  instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.
I suggest putting in trust settings in your antivirus, as follows:
Please "put as Trusted" (i.e., put Trust settings ) for the following MBAM exe files within your Antivirus Software **whitelist** :

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in "Windows Firewall" you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7, 8.1, 10, or Windows XP:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, 10:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

I've used Malwarbytes' Free since it first was released. I use Avira Free and have for years and years. Have had both programs on an XP, Windows 7 and now Windows 10 and have never had one day of conflict between those two programs. I have never set an exception for one or the other in either program and both have always worked perfectly for me on all of my machines.

So I'm a bit surprised that conflicts were found with 6 different AV programs and Malwarebytes' and I would like to know which programs also.

1 hour ago, jholland1964 said:

I've used Malwarbytes' Free since it first was released. I use Avira Free and have for years and years. Have had both programs on an XP, Windows 7 and now Windows 10 and have never had one day of conflict between those two programs. I have never set an exception for one or the other in either program and both have always worked perfectly for me on all of my machines.

So I'm a bit surprised that conflicts were found with 6 different AV programs and Malwarebytes' and I would like to know which programs also.

The free version does not ever conflict with anything because it has no real time protection.

We don't know which version the OP is using of Malwarebytes' (Free or Paid) and that is why I posted. We know the AV program is a paid version because Norton does not offer a Free version.  I know that the Malwarebytes' Free version will not interfere with an anti-virus program but I have seen anti-virus programs not allow the Malwarebytes' Free to scan. Personally, no I have not had that issue but have seen others with the problem of the Free version scan being stopped by an AV program.

The OP wants a free AV program unlike Norton, which is a suite of programs.  The 6 programs referred to by the OP are a part of the Norton Suite, an All in One suite, and that is what the OP wants to avoid.

The phrase 6 programs was not used in relation to anything conflicting with MBAM. 

Hope that makes it a bit more clear.

I am sorry guess I mis-read, but as I said, my personal recommendation after using it for probably 10 years is Avira Free. It is excellent, no conflicts with anytthing, paid or free. Provides excellent protection and consistently is one of the highest ranked AV programs on All independent testing by AV-Comparitives and AV-Test.

https://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus