[SOLVED] Topics Involuntarily Merged.

Reference: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/94021-admin-review/?do=findComment&comment=1027108

A top-of-the-window message temporarily appeared and stated that topics were being merged. This behavior could lead to serious errors although this individual incident was not damaging. This mentioned top-of-the-window message was displayed far too briefly to even react with a screen grab.

Thank you.

Just now, 1PW said:

Hello yardbird:

Good catch!

Yes! The black box with white "Your replies have been merged." text is what I believe I saw.

Thank you.

You want to get with John L Galt, he & you may have an answer? or an idea.....good luck

If you reply to a thread where you are the last person to post, the software merges your replies together into the last post.  I suspect that if you used the advanced editor, it may not, only when quick replying.  ISTR this in a few other forums as well.  Let me test.

This line below was composed in the reply box after submitting the above as a post.  I see no way to prevent the auto-combination.

OK, for one thing, there is no 'full editor' or 'advanced editor' function here - only the quick reply.

Edited by John L. Galt
Explained the post combination 'feature'

• Administrators

If you respond within 5 minutes of your previous post, it will merge them. We picked 5 minutes as we felt this was the windows of time where people would want their posts merged versus having one or more concurrent posts.

If you think 5 minutes is too high or low, let us know.

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Hello Michael:

Perhaps this " new feature" should be turned off and placed in abeyance for now.

This problematic option could be revisited at a much later time.

Thank you Michael.

This feature should only work within the same thread. Are you saying separate threads were merged?

• Root Admin

Separate threads do not get merged but this type of behavior of auto merge within 5 minutes can be annoying as it does it to me as well but the benefit is twofold. The new user that does not understand and post 6 times as they think of new stuff to add every couple minutes. Then for times when we have a flood from spammers it will place all their posts into the same posts instead of dozens we have to then clean up.

@msherwood  Michael, could it possibly enabled by default for regular members, and made into a switchable setting for all users experts or higher?  Or else just disabled for experts and higher?  Ron makes a great point, multiple spam posts in the same topic within a certain time period would only be appended together, making cleanup a lot easier, as well as from new users who get frantic and start semi-spamming their own help threads....

• Administrators
Just now, John L. Galt said:

@msherwood  Michael, could it possibly enabled by default for regular members, and made into a switchable setting for all users experts or higher?  Or else just disabled for experts and higher?  Ron makes a great point, multiple spam posts in the same topic within a certain time period would only be appended together, making cleanup a lot easier, as well as from new users who get frantic and start semi-spamming their own help threads....

We can certainly discuss this. Right now we're still working through a few other items. Slowly getting to some of the lower priority stuff. :)

• 2 weeks later...