Hi folks,

I'm a veteran user of Malwarebytes Antimalware and both using since the initial release on my ancient Windows XP SP2 (not SP3 for private reasons) and Windows 7 SP1. I have MBAMService on my Windows 7 as it should be, BUT on my Windows XP SP2 32-bit box, the MBAMService is missing on "services.msc" service list, but the file is present on "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" physically.

I'm using Free (Home) edition currently with 2.2.1.1043 version.

Although MbamService is missing in "services.msc" service list, the program runs just fine including "rootkit scan" and gives no error.

Here are the screenshots, why is this?

I appreciate for the comments, thanks in advance!

MBAMSS2.JPG

MBAMSS1.JPG

Hello and Welcome!

Here is my best guess, being that I am not a developer for Malwarebytes.

It probably has to do with the inner workings of Windows.  Windows 7 has more capabilities than want Windows XP has and can handle, and things run different in both OS's.  I would say that the file mbamservice.exe can not run as a service in XP.

Staff will correct me if I am wrong.

In addition to what @Firefox has written, I'll also guess that since you are using the free version, the service, which on XP I believe is only needed if you run real-time scanning, is not actually installed until you either make the switch or else allow the installer to install MBAM as a service on initial install of the product.

I may be wrong, as I haven't used XP in a long time, but when I was first exposed to the product and started Beta testing it, I seem to recall the time when adding the service to the product was a topic of discussion, and that it was optional for installations that were on-demand only.  I also seem to recall another discussion where this behavior change in Windows 7 (perhaps actually Vista+) whereby the service was installed by default.

At any rate, one of the administrators / developers here can probably answer for sure as to why it is in Win7 and not XP.  Again, the above is only my supposition, based upon (now often faulty) memory :)

Hello kimiraikkonen:

The definitive answer is that your Windows 7 SP1 computer likely has MBARW Beta also installed where MBAMService.exe (note the case perfect spelling) is an essential file within a MBARW Beta test installation.

It is also evident that MBAM is installed on the XP SP2 x86 system, where among many files, mbamservice.exe (note again the case perfect spelling) is again an essential file within a MBAM installation.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello kimiraikkonen:

The definitive answer is that your Windows 7 SP1 computer likely has MBARW Beta also installed where MBAMService.exe (note the case perfect spelling) is an essential file within a MBARW Beta test installation.

It is also evident that MBAM is installed on the XP SP2 x86 system, where among many files, mbamservice.exe (note again the case perfect spelling) is again an essential file within a MBAM installation.

Thank you.

Hello, and thanks for your reply, and thanks to other people participating on this thread.

The MBAM version on my Windows 7 SP1 x64 system is also "free" edition, and version is 2.2.1024, which is quite close to the one on my XP SP2 x86 system, which has no real-time protection on both systems.

And i didn't install any seperate application or plugin named MRARW Beta (i don't know it even), and i just used mbam-setup.exe, which is a standard installation.

What i beleive, MBAM is behaving differently on XP SP2 and on Window Vista or 7 or higher OSes, OR installer has a bug that fails to install MBAMService on XP OSes.

And solid information and feedback of XP users are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, cheers.

mbam-service.jpg

I'm attaching the screenshot from my Windows 7 SP1 x64 system above, which is missing on XP SP2 as i stated, although MBAM product installations and versions are identical.

Can we please get the MBAM check log for both systems.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

On 21 Mart 2016 Pazartesi at 10:15 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Can we please get the MBAM check log for both systems.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
    • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
    • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Hello, here is my CheckResults.txt file generated on XP SP2 machine.

Thanks anyway.

CheckResults.txt

Hello kimiraikkonen:

The attached CheckResults.txt file is severely truncated. The last line of the CheckResults.txt file should read "END OF FILE". Please correct/regenerate and resend.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello kimiraikkonen:

The attached CheckResults.txt file is severely truncated. The last line of the CheckResults.txt file should read "END OF FILE". Please correct/regenerate and resend.

Thank you.

Hi, i tried re-generating the CheckResults.txt using mbam-check.exe, but the output is the same with the one located in my previous post. There's nothing i can do, sorry. Maybe mbam-check.exe is buggy on XP SP2 systems?

10 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

Are you closing the blank cmd.exe window that pops up?  If you are, then don't.

No, i'm waiting until the blank cmd.exe finishes its job, then the log file is opened automatically as it should be. And generating the same output.

That is odd.  I only see the truncated when it is running and closed abruptly.

Make sure you don't have another instance of it running in the background, I had one that ran and nothing happened after the window disappeared, so I ran it again.  The file escalated to ~30 MB because of the background task, and I was unable to delete it until I found the background task and killed it, then ran it again.

14 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks for the reply, but the link you've posted refers to users' machines who are infected. I don't think i'm infected as i have no abnormal activity, including false positives. I use virustotal.com online checkers to determine whether MBAM detections are false positives, and i belive the machine is clean, so there's no significant reason to prevent mbam-check.exe from finishing its job.

Do i need to still get help from the link even for this free version of MBAM and MBAMService, or the help is required for mbam-check.exe?

I'm a bit lost here, sorry.

Thanks again.

Until the other helpers, including @AdvancedSetup, return...

No, he was not necessarily saying that you are infected.

However, deep diagnostic and repair work is not permitted here, in this particular section of the forum.

The instructions he gave you were to steer you to a special forum area where a trained expert will assist you with repairing your system.

That's all.:)

So, yes, I suggest following his advice.;)

Thanks,

20 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Yes, daledoc1 is correct. There is something more going on here and we don't allow other scanning tools to be ran here in this part of the forum. All that type of work is performed in the removal section of the forum.

Thanks

Thanks for your and daledoc1's reply.

I'm also attaching mbam-check.exe's CheckResults.txt file generated on Windows 7 SP1 x64 machine, using SAME MBAM version like on my XP SP2 machine.

If it helps to interpret, i would be appreciate.

Thanks a lot.

CheckResults.txt

MBAMService should not be installed unless the trial or Premium license is activated and functioning correctly. If needed you can deactivate any licensed one and then do the mbam-clean removal process 2 times. Every once in a while one of the files or services can get hung. Running the removal tool twice will remove even stubborn file removals. Then reinstall and as long as you don't activate a Trial or Activate with a license it will not load the service.

14 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

MBAMService should not be installed unless the trial or Premium license is activated and functioning correctly. If needed you can deactivate any licensed one and then do the mbam-clean removal process 2 times. Every once in a while one of the files or services can get hung. Running the removal tool twice will remove even stubborn file removals. Then reinstall and as long as you don't activate a Trial or Activate with a license it will not load the service.

Hi, i understand, but i haven't activated trial or premium license. I used only Free edition on both computers. And on XP SP2 machine, i used mbam-clean.exe to make sure latest MBAM installation would be fine. But as the subject of thread indicates, there are 2 different behaviours on 2 different machines. I beleive it's an installer bug.

Here is the screenshot taken on Windows SP1 x64 machine using Free MBAM, and MBAMService is installed as my previous CheckResults.txt file indicates. I'm uploading it again with screenshots. The same installation has been made on my XP SP2 machine but MBAMService is not installed, plus CheckResults.txt is truncated unlike the one on Win7 x64 SP1, containing the screenshots here.

Based on my logic, there's nothing wrong installing MBAMService eventhough user is not activated paid version, it maybe installed but it can also remain disabled. However, if this is abnormal, i would see this issue to be reported as "bug" to the installation-department.

mbamss2-w7x64.jpg

mbamss-w7x64.jpg

CheckResults.txt

Edited by kimiraikkonen
    Addition.
    1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please remove all logs and run the mbam clean removal 2 times as requested. Once that is done let me know.

Hello AdvancedSetup,

On my XP SP2 machine; I followed your instructions and ran mbam-clean.exe 2 times, followed by 2 reboots without interfering by any other job between removal sequences. After running mbam-clean.exe 2 times, i generated a log file using mbam-check.exe, and i installed "mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043.exe" on the follow. After installation has finished successfully, i generated an additional log file using mbam-check.exe again. But two CheckResults.txt files are identical, and identical with the one i posted at the start of this thread (original post). So there's no apparent change. I did NOT activate trial or premium version, thus using Free version like on my Windows 7 SP1 x64 system. I'm uploading CheckResults.txt files after cleanup for twice and the other one refers to after fresh-new MBAM 2.2.1.1043 installation. I don't think i'm infected but MBAMService is present on my Windows 7 SP1 x64 machine whereas it's missing on my XP SP2 system, and mbam-check.exe generates truncated/incomplete file. The system is running smooth and no significant, or active (at least) malware is visible right now.

Thanks for your help.

Note: I'm still lost at understanding post editing rules, sometimes it allows me to edit for once, sometimes it allows me to edit but doesn't allow me to save edited post. Interesting.

mbam-installation-complete.jpg

CheckResults[after-mbam2.2.1.1043-installation].txt

CheckResults[after-mbam-clean-2-times-before-mbam-installation].txt

On your Windows XP computer. Please start a command prompt by running CMD.EXE then type the following.

sc qc mbamservice

The press the Enter key and post back the results

Then type the following and press the Enter key and post back those results too.

sc queryex mbamservice

The edit time is set very low at the moment. We're discussing options about that though.

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to [RESOLVED] MBAMService is missing on my XP SP2 machine?
    • AdvancedSetup locked this topic