Does Malware Bytes for Mac OSX 10.7 find bad firefox extensions? 

If so it does not pick up the Online Map Finder Toolbar. It appears to be malware and hijacks your default homepage and search engine, and adds an annoying toolbar. There is also a report of it happening on Chrome for mac. 
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7482034?start=0&tstart=0

Is removing a bad add on, resting the search engine and  reseting the homepage good enough or is there more I should do? 

• Staff

It does indeed remove known bad Firefox and Chrome extensions, in addition to Safari extensions. However, new stuff that we don't detect does appear from time to time, so I appreciate you bringing this to our attention!

I'll search for a copy, but in the meantime, do you still have the extension installed? If so, I can step you through the process of finding it, submitting it to VirusTotal and then posting a link to the VirusTotal report here. That will ensure that we see exactly the extension that is affecting you, in the event that we can't find it or there are multiple extensions going by the same name.

As for removal, typically all that is required is to remove the bad extension and reset any browser settings that may have been changed (the home page and search engine settings being the primary candidates for modification). However, it all depends on how this extension got onto your system. Did you purposefully install it from within Firefox, or did you download and install something and later discover that this extension was present?

Yes  the extension is still installed. I disabled it and reset the browser settings, though already before asking here. I figured there might be some value in not deleting it. If you can tell me how to submit I'll do it. 

I wasn't the one that installed it. The person who installed it told me they where searching for directions, and got a dialog on a page saying to download this to get directions. After they hit download it added the tool bar, the Fire Fox extension. changes the home page, and changed the search engine.

Not sure if this information will help: 
I didn't see anything added to the download folder
No new applications in the applications folder
Safari and Chrome seamed untouched, no toolbars, no extensions, no search engine or home page changes. 
I didn't see any strange applications in activity monitor
I didn't see any changes to DNS / Proxy settings 
I didn't see anything under LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemons
I didn't check hidden files 

I am far from a security expert though so it's possible I missed something. 

Thank you for your help!  

By the way I also did a did a quick run with Little Snitch after disabling it and did not see any strange connections. 

• Staff

Would you be able to submit a system snapshot generated by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the affected system? If so, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac and choose Take System Snapshot from the Scanner menu. Then, in the window that opens, select all the text (Edit Select All), copy it and paste into a direct message to me.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Have you already scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac and removed anything that was detected? If not, do so now:

https://malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

If you did that, but you're still seeing Firefox open an onlinemapfinder page when it opens new windows or tabs, or it's using that site as its search engine, you probably just need to fix your browser settings:

https://support.malwarebytes.org/customer/portal/articles/2045716-?b_id=9511

If none of that works, let me know.