loss of cursor continued

I get that loss of cursor quite often.

Another issue is copy and paste to a thread, I get an error and have to select Ctrl key and Right click on mouse, that will open another box where you can paste into, when complete your pasted info goes to the top of the reply box, bit of PITA when you are actually trying to paste after mabe 2nd or 3rd step in a fix reply.

Another one is links in canned responses, they do not always work and just link back to the thread when selected. The links have to be relisted using editor link option, another real PITA when you consider we may use several canned responses in a reply, each one containing a couple of links, main and mirror...

• Administrators
3 hours ago, kevinf80 said:

I get that loss of cursor quite often.

Another issue is copy and paste to a thread, I get an error and have to select Ctrl key and Right click on mouse, that will open another box where you can paste into, when complete your pasted info goes to the top of the reply box, bit of PITA when you are actually trying to paste after mabe 2nd or 3rd step in a fix reply.

Another one is links in canned responses, they do not always work and just link back to the thread when selected. The links have to be relisted using editor link option, another real PITA when you consider we may use several canned responses in a reply, each one containing a couple of links, main and mirror...

I thought I was going crazy with the link issue. Submitted the bug to IPS.

• Root Admin

The copy/paste issue with it opening a dialog box to post to is both annoying and time consuming as you can no longer just use CTL-V to paste content. Then as Kevin says it posts it to the top of the post. The average reply that would take 2 seconds using a normal UBB canned reply can now potentially take 30 seconds to a couple of minutes depending on what trouble you're having to get to post and how detailed the post is. 

Copy/paste is not working which CTRL-C, CTRL-V which is native to Windows and has been working now since Windows 3 so not sure how anyone could mess that up.

One thing I noticed about he cursor missing is if/when using the CTRL-Right Click for pasting options. After that if you cancel the cursor for me appears to be gone and does not easily come back.

• Root Admin

Went and verified on 2 other forums. This popup dialog box does not exist on the other forums (did not exist here on 3.x) so have to believe it is some "feature" here on 4.x only.

I can write, copy/paste to my hearts content over and over and from any source without any popup dialog box telling me it cannot.

Yes, yes, yes, and the disappearing cursor seems to be a consistent problem, especially when -- for example -- copying and pasting snippets out of logs, etc.

And yes, things get pasted into places one doesn't want and then cannot rearrange them without redoing the entire post.

The "dialog box"  to paste is a ROYAL PITA (and I still cannot get my old canned BBCode to work, even when I user "Paste Without Formatting" or "Paste", but perhaps I am doing something wrong).

I think the disappearing cursor and the copy / paste enhancement (and I am using the term quite loosely here) are actually related.  Usually, with a lost cursor, I hit CTRL + END to make sure I am at the end of the post, before continuing, but at least a couple of times it goes completely stupid and becomes almost unresponsive, at which point I force refresh the page to continue where I left off.  One of those times was right in the middle of a copy / paste of part of a previous post that I was doing and the new dialog opened up, just like Ron mentions - at that point my entire reply was hosed and I had to force refresh.

The only good thing about the system was that after the refresh, what I had typed in thus far was still in the reply box after I clicked it again, so I was able to copy the text to an external editor, Put a couple of blank CR/LFs, paste my selected part of the post, and then re-paste the rest of my reply into the reply box, with a little less down time than I was anticipating with having to recreate the post from scratch.

Definitely not optimal, but it could have been worse.  Only slightly worse, but still.

• 4 weeks later...

For me having cursor issues in too,  wanted to change a  quote and I was doomed,  once the cursor is in the quote lines it wont    get out  out of the lines even when I decided to post and edit.  

Also  when I saved the edited quoted  surprised that in my editor remains the quote in copy and I couldn't delete it and somehow

so then I was stuck with my cursor again in the lines of the quote. 

When doing a second quote it came in that empy lines  but no change my cursor came outside 

to type any text outside the quote. 

I posted it and try to edit but als no go,  the cursor remain in the quote lines.  

so quotes and cursor  together is also a an issue of its own I guess

• Root Admin

Yes, it is very inconvenient and unless one is aware of this CTRL-F5 or regular Refresh and check to reply again one would not know and thus be prevented from posting copied content as well.

As I view it there is a mixture of by-design from Chrome and Firefox as well as by IPS 4 in that under IPS 3 the editor did not appear to be doing live parsing and page refreshes at least in a way that ever triggered on IPS 3 - now on IPS 4 it triggers way too often. Now that I know the trick I can work-around it but would really like to see if IPS can somehow change their page refresh, or cycle period or what ever is triggering it. The code is built-in to Firefox and I assume Chrome too to prevent other applications from reading your clipboard without your permission.  Though to be honest the IPS 4 forum is the first place I've personally ever encountered this issue but if you search about it online you'll find that it is a common complaint. I think it's wrong of IPS to simply ignore it and lay the blame on Mozilla or Google as the exact same feature is/was in place in Firefox and Chrome even in IPS 3 yet IPS 3 never triggered it. So obviously something in how IPS 4 is calling/using the editor, page caches, etc is now triggering it. I believe they can and should fix it. This has nothing to do with UBB and has to be a feature used by 100% of all their customers. If an entire site is not using copy/paste on their forum then you've reached Nirvana status and can quit using the forum and any other form of computing.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected typo

• 4 weeks later...

I sure hope this on the list of fixes for the new build.

I just got hit with a double-whammy when trying to reply to a post after opening an OP's logs in notepad:

1. disappearing cursor; AND
  2. editor pasting an emoticon to the beginning/top of the reply window, NOT where I wanted it.

Thanks,