Suggestion for the next major forum update

• Staff

Purpose of my post is not to preach or to tell your what is your job, this is only the  suggestion. Next time when you attempt to move forum on new software, you should first do some BETA testing (I hope you had one, but that apparently wasn't enough). There is a way to make a BETA version working along with LIVE version and to ask people to test it and report issues. This approach install it and then fix it on the go is not good as you can see. There are constant issues and people don't like it. It is a tendency of the people not to show sympathy to changes and when they experience issues along with it, it is a two edged sword (we all remember Windows 8 fiasco).

I am getting used to this forum and so far there are no some huge issues, but had to say it for your own sake. 

Thank you :)

• Administrators

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @TwinHeadedEagle. Okay, now that we're past the upgrade, I can share a bit more information. We made the move to IPS 4 primarily for security reasons. We also gained some solid stability as well as other minor backend stuff. In short, we had to make the call to do this in a timely fashion while trying to not completely break it. :) 

We've been working with IPS for the last few weeks in an attempt to make this transition as painless as possible. Over this period of time, we had a demo site stood up and invited a small group of people to help ensure it would work. We had to keep it small because we were under a very short time frame to get all of this done - for some stuff, we only had hours or days to complete the tasks. Also, we were not able to stand up an instances with our data so it was truly a demo site. All of this was not ideal, but we tried our best to work with it. And we appreciate you now working with it.

I hope this lends a bit more to the story for you and other users. Again, thanks for joining us in this journey.

I doubt many here can equal my experience in a situation where productivity takes a back seat to security.

However this is more than a case of a reduction of productivity.  Invision Power has failed Malwarebytes and has provided Malwarebytes an inferior product.  The word upgrade is not apropos.  The term downgrade is much more appropriate.  The reduction in tools and capabilities is a flashback of software available in the 90s.  It is a software that may be applicable to a Cooking Recipe Forum, but not a Technical and Product Support Forum whose business model is intertwined with the Internet and Forum based activity.

Remember it is volunteers, like @TwinHeadedEagle, who toil over the Malware Removal sub-forum benefiting the public and Malwarebytes alike.  At the very minimum Malwarebytes owes these dedicated volunteers the right tools to do this work for Malwarebytes and for the benefit of Malwarebytes and the victims of malware.  The new forum software hinders their work.  I'll give you an example.  I have to create content in another forum, and use its quality Editor, and then take that edited and previewed content and post it here ( or create or modify a template ).

Malwarebytes should be outraged.  Even Invision Power uses different software for their own support "Client Area" which is a slight variation of what Malwarebytes had been using which includes a real Editor.

Image1.jpg.7a915443d45f2fe3558b7b29a0927

2 hours ago, msherwood said:

Over this period of time, we had a demo site stood up and invited a small group of people to help ensure it would work. We had to keep it small because we were under a very short time frame to get all of this done - for some stuff, we only had hours or days to complete the tasks.

Next time, let me know if you need more. I run IPS software on Lunarsoft too and am rather familiar with the workings and such.

• 3 months later...