pupoptionalprocleanersoftware-caphyon

Ken, I am not a regular here, so would not notice this change, just come here if I need to check something. I am baffled though that my whole thread with all responses has gone. Before going to bed there were quite a few people who had the same alert, not knowing what had caused it. I think it was leading to a possible false detection but now that the thread is gone, I am not sure anymore. 

1PW -on 16 March I started a thread titled  PUP.Optional.ProCleanerSoftware Caphyon  as I was alerted by mbam to a registry key. This was showns as PUP and while I understood that a PUP may be harmless, I was still curious to find out where it came from. The information I gleaned from Google referred to some installer software and some cleaning software. The cleaning software did not mean anything to me and since I had not installed any new program recently, I found it strange. 

Subsequent to my posting thre were 18 or so responses, some relating to gamer software. I am not a gamer and other also confirmed having received the alert despite not using any gaming programs.  When I logged on the next day I was surprised that my thread with all answers had just vanished and even now I cannot find any record despite still having the email alerts about responses. KenW suggested the thread might have dropped off the system due to a forum upgrade? 

Anyway, having done a new scan late yesterday, my pc comes up as clean and the previous offending registry key is no longer shown as offending despite still being on my pc. So I assume a definitions update may have solved the issue though I am only guessing here.

Hello tomoz:

Though the PUP had been flagged previously, the Malwarebytes Director of Research may have had that determination reversed.

Please allow for a double-check and if your MBAM Scan Log is still available (or any other historic evidence), please extract it to a text file and attach it to your next reply and I will compare it to a similar and unrelated discovery.

If the system in question still has the relevant entries in its registry hives, your level of concern should be low. The exact vector of entry to that system may never be determined.

Thank you.