Question regarding ERROR entry seen in Protection Log

Good morning everyone,

When I first turned-on my computer earlier this morning, I noticed the MBAM icon in the Taskbar Notification area was missing.  All other icons were present.

In checking Task Manager, I did not see MBAM running.  I ran Autorunsc and did not see MBAM listed under the [LOGON] tab as it normally is.  (MBAM & MBAE are both set within their respective programs to run at Logon).

I tried restarting the computer twice - icon still not shown, nor was MBAM running in Task Manager.  I finally did a System Restore back to March 9th and restarted the computer, then updated MBAM.  Problem resolved.

In checking MBAM's Protection Log for today, I note two error entries which I've never encountered before and have no idea what they mean.  (Log excerpt shown below - error entries in red font).

Protection, 3/12/2016 2:41 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 3/12/2016 2:41 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Protection, 3/12/2016 2:41 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 3/12/2016 2:41 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Protection, 3/12/2016 2:48 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 3/12/2016 2:48 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Protection, 3/12/2016 2:48 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 3/12/2016 2:48 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Update, 3/12/2016 3:03 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Manual, Domain Database, 2016.3.11.3, 2016.3.12.1,
Update, 3/12/2016 3:04 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Manual, Malware Database, 2016.3.11.4, 2016.3.12.2,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:04 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Refresh, Starting,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:04 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:04 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:04 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Refresh, Success,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:04 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:04 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:18 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:18 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Error, 3/12/2016 3:29 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Update, Bad md5 or size: actions, 11,
Error, 3/12/2016 3:29 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Update, Bad md5 or size: domains, 11,
Update, 3/12/2016 3:29 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Manual, Remediation Database, 2016.3.10.1, 2016.3.10.1,
Update, 3/12/2016 3:29 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Manual, Domain Database, 2016.3.12.1, 2016.3.12.1,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:29 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Refresh, Starting,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:29 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Refresh, Success,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:46 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 3/12/2016 3:46 AM, SYSTEM, XXXXADMIN-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
(end)

My questionCould someone explain what the 2 errors mean? :unsure:

Thank you for your time and any enlightenment.

EE

It's a logging error related to updating (seen especially after a new install, until all the databases have caught up).

It's been around for a while in version 2.x and was mentioned here recently: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/179594-new-mbam-221-preview-build-available/page-2#entry1023562

Nothing to worry about, and certainly NOT something that normally warrants a system rollback. :unsure:

EDIT:
Having said that, if you are having performance problems with your MBAM installation, it would help to know a bit more about the system.
If you need more help, I suggest that you might want to  please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

There may be something that could be resolved by reinstalling MBAM or other troubleshooting, rather than rolling back the entire system.

Cheers,

Thanks very much for your respective replies, Pondus and DD1! :)

I don't seem to be experiencing any further issues or with system performance at the moment.  If I do begin having some issue(s), then I'll post back with the info DD1 mentioned.

(For DD1):  You mentioned providing more info about my system.  Is there some other info needed, in addition to what is shown in my Signature line?

Cheers!

EE

Hi:

You asked:

(For DD1):  You mentioned providing more info about my system.  Is there some other info needed, in addition to what is shown in my Signature line?

Please see here:

If you need more help, I suggest that you might want to  please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

There may be something that could be resolved by reinstalling MBAM or other troubleshooting, rather than rolling back the entire system.

If you need more help, the 3 requested diagnostic logs will provide a troubleshooting starting point.

Thanks,

My apologies, DD1.

It didn't occur to me that the additional info was what could be found in the diagnostic logs you mentioned. :blink:

EE