False positive on mscorsvw.exe ?

farlan33

Good morning,

Today I experienced an alert with mscorsvw.exe incriminated to be a ransonmware.

Please seee the attached screenshot.

Opening the Quarantine does not show any file: it's empty.

Event occurred in a VMware VM wiith Windows 7 x64.

Beta is 0.9.14.361.

post-200965-0-28895400-1457612169_thumb.

post-200965-0-78462000-1457612397_thumb.

Here are the attachments.

I could not restore any quarantine, so no steps 3 and 4.

But I followed REGEDITDept thread attaching the framework file.

Also I stopped Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit before creating the logs zip but the following message appeared with Winzip:

Action: Add (and replace) files Include subfolders: yes Save full path: no

Include system and hidden files: yes

Adding logs\DetectEvidence-2016-03-09-011231._json

Adding logs\DetectEvidence-2016-03-10-220138._json

Adding logs\MBAMSERVICE.LOG

Warning: The following file is open by another program. If that program

Warning: writes to the file while WinZip is zipping the file, the zipped

Warning: file may be corrupt: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\MBAMSERVICE.LOG

Adding logs\

Copying Zip file

Hello farlan33:

From all the available data, the alert produced by the system in question appears to be a false positive.

Temporarily, you may wish to consider making the following file entry in MBARW GUI > Exclusions:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscorsvw.exe
Please advise if this temporary workaround does not work by replying to your topic.

Thank you for beta testing MBARW and your feedback.

• 1 month later...

I also received a MBARW notification that it stopped mscorsvw.exe infection. Screen shots look exactly like two farlan33 posted at beginning of this post. Notification occurred on bootup after latest Win Update which ran on my machine on Tuesday, April 12, 2016. There was no file in quarantine. I have run MWB & several other virus checkers including root-kit checks and everything reports clean.

I have attached the 3 zip files requested:

• zip of mscorsvw.exe - I have three versions on my machine so I included all three since I don't know which the false positive reported
  • zip of C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware\ directory, and
  • zip of C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs directory.

Machine specs:

Win 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 16GB Ram, 32 bit operating system, Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Hope this helps.

mscorsvw-3-18-14 version.zip

mscorsvw-3-20-14 version.zip

mscorsvw-6-10-09 version.zip

mbarwin_mar_dir.zip

MBAMSERVICE_logs.zip

Hello @donbibb:

It is disappointing to read your testing system is having MBARW Beta issues but each computer is unique.  Problems that seem "the same" frequently are not.

The same is true for solutions.  Solutions may often need to be individualized for your unique testing system.

It is less confusing for everyone if a "One Member Per Topic" policy is adhered to instead of posting to the topic of another member.

Development Team Members, Staffers, and Helpers will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP/Topic Starter, with individualized assistance.

Please start a NEW, and SEPARATE topic by left-clicking this >>Start New Topic<< link now.

Thank you always for your patience and understanding.