Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Protection is not started. The Anti-Exploit Process will Be Terminated

gaia

I am (was) running the current version of MBAE.

I started getting "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Protection is not started. The Anti-Exploit Process will Be Terminated" after this morning's Windows 10 x64 update (now 10586.122).

I found this solved-mbae-protection-is-not-started-the-anti-exploit-process-will-be-terminated. So i uninstalled, retarted, tried to remove the folders (files and data), couldn't do it. Ran the clean-mbae.bat as administrator:  how-to-remove-mbae-leftovers-after-uninstall/. It says it worked fine, I rebooted, but the files are still there.

Tried to reinstall any way. Told me it might conflict with EMET. Uninstalled EMET. Restarted. Did install again. Problem persists. Uninstalled. Restarted.

Tried to zip up the program data folder, can't access it. can't copy it.

Tried to take ownership of this folder, can't do that either.

Welcome to the forum gaia.

Reboot and login as administrator. Then please follow the steps outlined here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/171634-anti-exploit-not-started-under-windows-10/

Thank you, Pedro. Are you Brazilian by any chance?

I forgot to mention I had already tried to follow those steps. I tried again this time, but instead of trying to delete it I ran clean-mbae.bat. That did it. The protection is active - I ran the (calculator) test.

I still have a couple folders from older installations I cannot delete. I tried to do so under the administrator account, running an elevated command prompt and issuing a del to all the items in the folder C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (stuff from 2014) and C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (a setup file from 2014). I have no clue how to delete those...

Thanks again.

In my case, I was able to determine that this was related to having Windows Driver Verifier enabled (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/driver-verifier-tracking-down-a-mis-behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983). I was using it to troubleshoot an issue with a new piece of hardware. After I ran "verifier /reset" from an elevated command prompt, I was able to uninstall and re-install MBAE successfully. 

I have a similar problem on an up to date Windows 7 machine.  Have not done anything but reboot and get "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Protection is not started.  The Anti-Exploit process with be terminated."

I am hoping this can be fixed without me having to jump through hoops and pursue unproductive paths.

• 4 months later...

Just installed v. 1.08.1.2572 after having the "service not starting" issue with previous stable version, after upgrading to W10x64 Anniversary Upgrade. Now MBAE is working as expected.

Thanks Pedro.;)

Edited by Wilpower

This looks like it may be the same as the problems I am now having with mbae running on XP Pro SP3.

I have been running it for several weeks, but over the last few days I get the following message on boot: "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Protection Is not started.  The Anti-Exploit process will be terminated.".  Mbae.exe will be showing as running in the windows task manager, but the service is not running, and when I try to start the service manually I get a message that the service has started but immediately stopped again.

I have tried the new version mentioned above 1.8.1.2572, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Edited by tommytiko

For the record, I just had this, too, on my OEM Win10/64 (10586, aka 1511) box upon routine cold start (1.08.1.2572).
There had been NO other recent software or hardware changes (not even Patch Tuesday updates).

Even though I am Admin and followed all the recommended steps to cleanly reinstall, the clean-mbae tool did not remove all the leftovers (Program Files (X86) folder) (even though it said that it did).

I ended up running it twice, rebooting each time, and STILL had to agree to "are you sure you want to install to this same folder" before MBAE would reinstall.

The cleanup tool did a fine job removing my license data and my custom shields, though.  So, I had to recreate all of that.:(

Sorry I did not collect logs, as I was in the middle of other tasks when this unexpected snag developed.

Bottom line: The many ongoing trouble reports (on different platforms) do seem to be "real", and I'm not 100% sure the clean-mbae tool works as intended.:(

Thanks,

As stated above, I suspected Acronis True Image Home 2016, and that may well have been the cause of the problem I reported above.  Since then I have had a recurrence of this problem on a copy of the system as it was before ATI Home 2016 was installed, but with Aomei installed, and it seems that the recurrence was caused by Aomei Backupper.  When I uninstalled Backupper, the problem with Mb Anti-Exploit immediately ceased, which seems to be quite a direct pointer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/08/2016 at 5:54 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

That's great news @tommytiko

Glad you were able to resolve your issue, and thank you for updating us on the cause.

Cheers

I have not explored the conflict I thought there may have been between MBAntiExploit and Acronis, since I have abandoned the latter, but I am afraid that there does seem to be a conflict between MBAntiExploit and Aomei Backupper, at least when running on XP Pro SP3.  I have repeated the test a few times, and if I install Aomei, soon afterwards, though not immediately, MBAntiExploit will cease to run.  And if I uninstall Aomei, MBAntiExpoit will run again.  Is there anything I can do to register this conflict with you so that it is investigated, and even fixed?  Aomei Backupper could do with further development, but it is a good product in an area in which I find that most of the available products are unsatisfactory in one way or another, and it seems I must lose MBAntiExploit if I adopt Aomei Backupper.  I reported the conflict with Aomei in my last post above, but have seen no response so far.

Edited by tommytiko

I have the same problem here and I have ask this to but it seems that there is no fix for it on Xp. I have done all what they ask here and nothing has helped so I'm now without any exploit. I have here a HIPS program like malware defender and with AV + Comodo firewall + Emsisoft AM. I had here also EMET but I have uninstalled it for to see if this was the problem but is seems now that the pc is running better so no EMET for me on Xp. I had here also HMPalert but that was a total mess. To much for a P4 3.5Mhz with Xp Pro. But you think that it was Acronis? Well I have it here also on my pc but it's strange that this program does make that MBAE will not install? I have tested it here with all services off and the problem stays. So it seems that Acronis has nothing to do with it.

2 hours ago, KeZa said:

I have the same problem here and I have ask this to but it seems that there is no fix for it on Xp. I have done all what they ask here and nothing has helped so I'm now without any exploit. I have here a HIPS program like malware defender and with AV + Comodo firewall + Emsisoft AM. I had here also EMET but I have uninstalled it for to see if this was the problem but is seems now that the pc is running better so no EMET for me on Xp. I had here also HMPalert but that was a total mess. To much for a P4 3.5Mhz with Xp Pro. But you think that it was Acronis? Well I have it here also on my pc but it's strange that this program does make that MBAE will not install? I have tested it here with all services off and the problem stays. So it seems that Acronis has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for this comment.  I thought that Acronis might possibly have caused the problem - perhaps it did in my case - but Acronis is no longer relevant because I have abandoned tha program, and I did nothing to verify whether Acronis was he problem.  I merely intended to mention the possibility.  Quite separately from any question whether Acronis can cause the problem, I have found that it occurs with Aomei Backupper, and have repeated the result more than once.

• 1 month later...

Delete the previous post because I cannot! What I want to say is this:

I myself am an IT guy and I test a lot of programs out there on different OS to see if it is something for us here, but even as Hitman Pro and Malware Anti-Exploit they are very buggy on Xp at best. MAE is not buggy, I think, because I get it not working on Xp so I do not now but it seems that there is nobody interested anymore into fixing that MAE will install on a Xp service pack 3!? There are many people with this problem on Xp but there is not much interest to make programs like this, Hitman Pro and WinAntiRansom to run smoothly on Xp. I have done it all but the one that stick is Emsisoft AM. it works great on Xp. So no kudos for the makers that not include Xp anymore. Do not understand why they are so slack to make it work on Xp like it should because I know that there are people that stick with Xp because W10 is sh*t and are waiting that is would be better.

So why not W7 or other Windows here you will say because we get that a lot. Well we have here also W7 en W8.1 & W10 but we are on Xp because it is the OS where we work with for couple of +13years and W7 is not an option anymore to transfer everything from Xp since it is good for only 3 years. It is a lot of work for us to do that so we are waiting that W10 will get his sh*t together because that OS is totally insane. Every update we need to go through the settings and every time there is something changed or gone so that is not reliable for us here.

So we need to step our security on Xp and we are here on a quad cores so power we have enough but it seems that nobody finds Xp interesting anymore to make programs that works with Xp so I think we go back to setting EMET up.