sdkdatabaseloaddefaults failed with code 1812

Hi,

I'm getting this error when trying to run MBAM on multiple Win7/Ent/SP1/32b/patched machines. I've been googling much of the day and haven't found any definitive help. I've tried many different purported solutions with no joy. Has there been any progress on finding a solution to this error?

GaryK

Hi:

Welcome.

Hi,

I'm getting this error when trying to run MBAM on multiple Win7/Ent/SP1/32b/patched machines.

GaryK

Your post suggests that this is a business environment with multiple endpoints.

Per the EULA, MBAM 2.2.0.1024 Consumer is for use only by home computer users on their personal PCs.

There is a different version of MBAM Business for use in the Enterprise environment.

So, I suggest that you please open a ticket at the dedicated Business Help Desk HERE.

They can assist both with installation/configuration/updating and with obtaining proper licensing.

Thanks,

Hi:

Welcome.

Your post suggests that this is a business environment with multiple endpoints.

Per the EULA, MBAM 2.2.0.1024 Consumer is for use only by home computer users on their personal PCs.

There is a different version of MBAM Business for use in the Enterprise environment.

So, I suggest that you please open a ticket at the dedicated Business Help Desk HERE.

They can assist both with installation/configuration/updating and with obtaining proper licensing.

Thanks,

Thanks for responding. It's a home network with a server and three workstation, one for me, one for my wife, and one for my daughter. Does this disqualify me?

• Root Admin

It does not disqualify you though odd that you would be running Enterprise version at home as it is much more costly to purchase

Windows 7 Enterprise Licenses are only available at the Volume Licensing division.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/how-to-buy/how-to-buy.aspx

Regardless. As long as there is not a proxy issue or other security blocking our software from updates it should work just fine.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using this method. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Let us know how that works.

Thank you

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I wasn't getting notifications. I am now.

Just an explanation of why I'm running Win7 Enterprise: My client switched their hetwork hardware and software to more advanced OSes and this small network (server and 3 workstations) were surplus, and they gave it all to me. I set it up at home.

> Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using this method. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

I have already done that several times.

GaryK

Exactly how did you uninstall/reinstall MBAM three times?  I'm guessing other program, security or monitoring, is interfering with the MBAM install process.  Are you by any chance running anything similar to Pro-Privacy and/or AntiRansom utilities?  If not properly prepped in advance, such will almost always interfere with many install processes.

Thanks, RolandJS. I appreciate you're taking time to try to help.

To answer your question about uninstalling/reinstalling: Once using MS's AddRemove, once using MBAM-Clean, and once using RevoUninstall. I am not using any of those other products you asked about. I am using Trend Micro, but I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both with and without TM running and also telling TM to ignore MBAM (which TM doesn't like). I have MBAM running fine on the third PC in my network, so I don't believe TM is the problem.       

GaryK          

Probably none of this will be helpful in tracking this down:

Versions 151 and 175 both work. MBAM starts throwing the error at v201. The error shows up just as "Pre-Scan operations" ends.

I ran RogueKiller. It found PUP and PUMs, which I deleted. Immediately after a reboot, I ran MBAM (v220).This time instead of the 1812 error, it got to the end of "Pre-Scan operatons" and then said "Scan canceled" and returned to the Dashboard. I uninstalled and reinstalled MBAM, and this time the 1812 error showed up again.

GaryK

Here's some more probably useless information:

I ren RogueKiller on the other system and deleted the various PUPs snd PUMs, then ran MBAM (v220). This time, instead of erroring out the same way as before, it got to the end of the "Pre-Scan ooperations" and then it gave the message, "Threat scan was cancelled" and reverted to the main Dashboard. In the History Applications log there was only one entry:

sdkdatabaseloaddefaults failed with code: 20021, 20021

I uninstalled MBAM (using MBAM Clean), then reinstalled. After this behavior reverted to the previous error, 1812.

GaryK

• Root Admin

Okay well first off this computer has 60 accounts on it. Nothing like what you've explained and most tools are not designed to manage that many user profiles on it.

We attempt to open and scan ALL of them so I'm quite sure that is causing an issue.

Normally when someone receives a computer from a company it's typically wiped clean (actually illegal to provide you the system with Windows still installed as it's against the EULA from Microsoft)

That said - we'll go with what you say as it's a home use system.

Login with an Admin account and delete 57 or 58 of those accounts and their data and then other tools like CCleaner, AdwCleaner, MBAM, etc will no longer have an issue running on the computer would be my guess.

Delete the current hosts file or restore it back to factory defaults with basically no entries

Even the Shadow Copy Service is having issues. Delete all those profiles and data and run a full disk check and most of your problems will fix themselves.

As David said - the logs show that the computer was not removed from the Domain it came from so it either needs to be removed from the domain or if in reality it still is part of this domain then you need to fix the issues where it is not able to talk to the domain controller properly.

Sorry but what you're saying and what the logs are saying don't add up so difficult to give better advice at this time.

If it were me I'd FDISK the drives, Format and reinstall the OS

Okay well first off this computer has 60 accounts on it. Nothing like what you've explained and most tools are not designed to manage that many user profiles on it.

We attempt to open and scan ALL of them so I'm quite sure that is causing an issue.

Normally when someone receives a computer from a company it's typically wiped clean (actually illegal to provide you the system with Windows still installed as it's against the EULA from Microsoft)

That said - we'll go with what you say as it's a home use system.

Login with an Admin account and delete 57 or 58 of those accounts and their data and then other tools like CCleaner, AdwCleaner, MBAM, etc will no longer have an issue running on the computer would be my guess.

Delete the current hosts file or restore it back to factory defaults with basically no entries

Even the Shadow Copy Service is having issues. Delete all those profiles and data and run a full disk check and most of your problems will fix themselves.

As David said - the logs show that the computer was not removed from the Domain it came from so it either needs to be removed from the domain or if in reality it still is part of this domain then you need to fix the issues where it is not able to talk to the domain controller properly.

Sorry but what you're saying and what the logs are saying don't add up so difficult to give better advice at this time.

If it were me I'd FDISK the drives, Format and reinstall the OS

The workstations all have lots of accounts because the business that the computers came from had lots of users over time that circulated. Most of them are simply legacy accounts. Since the whole system went to me, and since I am the system administrator, there was never any reason to remove them.

I have already said that the machines remain part of a domain. I have the entire system, the server (SBS 2003) and three of the workstations (well, not the entire system--some of the workstations were wiped and given to employees for home use). Because I am the system administrator and work full time for the company, it is not illegal to provide the system to me. We checked with Microsoft.

Please remember that one of the three machines, with all the same accounts, is working fine. If there is some value in comparing the logs from the working machine with the logs of the non-working machine, Shall I supply those?

GaryK

Also, all those other products you mentioned work fine.

I leave the workstations in the domain because I run logon scripts from the server, but I am happy to remove it from the domain (I can always rejoin). If you think it will help in your trouble-shooting, I can also remove all the legacy accounts and users, and return the Hosts/LMhosts to default or get rid of them altogether. I kind of doubt this will be useful as one of the three machines, which is identical to the others, is working fine with all this in place.

I don't know how to allay your suspicions that I am somehow cheating. I can send you pictures of the system in my home if you like.

GaryK

Well, given how little help and how much abuse I got from you guys, and given that I spent hours figuring it out on my own, I'm not sure how I feel about making your lives easier now. I'll have to think about it. But an apology from you for subjecting me to all that repeated assurance I had to provide that I wasn't cheating would certainly help me to forgive all that.

GaryK

Gary:

You are using retail software in an environment that precludes 99.50% of retail users.  Thus you were a square peg in a round hole.  As such it is wrong to infer that your situation was "normal" as is outside the normal envelope with a very unique problem.

Even the situation of pairing Small Business Server with Windows Enterprise is abnormal.

Thus one would expect a bit more "patience" in getting support and I am surprised that you would even throw out the word "abuse".

The fact is, Best Practice dictates wiping a used system and re-installing the OS of choice from scratch.  If one applied a windows Professional OS or above one could still join a Domain.  But then there is that issue.  Domains are not associated with retail, home user, environments.  It is a business environment and Malwarebytes has software and support for that environment.  To me using a system with a Used OS is akin to buying an automobile as-is and then complaining that there are multiple mechanical issues.  Due diligence would dictate inspecting the vehicle, before purchase, by a mechanic of your choice.  Wiping a system and reinstalling the OS of choice from scratch is like rebuilding that automobile so you are not inheriting someone else's problems.  When you are ready to use it, you know it is in proper working order.

One can also ask, why would someone give a SBS Server to another person.  It was used in some kind of business model so one can deduce that at the very minimum there would be corporate proprietary information stored on it.  Best Practice dictates wiping the server platform before it is even released to a third party.

As for Login Scripts, Ron ( AdvancedSetup ) and I are well established as using KiXtart for that purpose and while a OU or a flat AD can use a Login script through a Group Policy Object ( GPO ) a Login Script can be created on any Windows Professional, and above OS, using a Local Policy.

Thus there were many questions that raised multiple semaphores but at no time do I see that you were "abused".

Gary:

You are using retail software in an environment that precludes 99.50% of retail users.  Thus you were a square peg in a round hole.  As such it is wrong to infer that your situation was "normal" as is outside the normal envelope with a very unique problem.

Even the situation of pairing Small Business Server with Windows Enterprise is abnormal.

Thus one would expect a bit more "patience" in getting support and I am surprised that you would even throw out the word "abuse".

The fact is, Best Practice dictates wiping a used system and re-installing the OS of choice from scratch.  If one applied a windows Professional OS or above one could still join a Domain.  But then there is that issue.  Domains are not associated with retail, home user, environments.  It is a business environment and Malwarebytes has software and support for that environment.  To me using a system with a Used OS is akin to buying an automobile as-is and then complaining that there are multiple mechanical issues.  Due diligence would dictate inspecting the vehicle, before purchase, by a mechanic of your choice.  Wiping a system and reinstalling the OS of choice from scratch is like rebuilding that automobile so you are not inheriting someone else's problems.  When you are ready to use it, you know it is in proper working order.

One can also ask, why would someone give a SBS Server to another person.  It was used in some kind of business model so one can deduce that at the very minimum there would be corporate proprietary information stored on it.  Best Practice dictates wiping the server platform before it is even released to a third party.

As for Login Scripts, Ron ( AdvancedSetup ) and I are well established as using KiXtart for that purpose and while a OU or a flat AD can use a Login script through a Group Policy Object ( GPO ) a Login Script can be created on any Windows Professional, and above OS, using a Local Policy.

Thus there were many questions that raised multiple semaphores but at no time do I see that you were "abused".

Here's the problem: Your responses to my queries all, without exception, make assumptions that are incorrect, then you act on those incorrect assumptions.I hever said I had a normal system. Nor do I see where that matters. Best practices are guidelines, not immutable laws.

You could have just asked me about my situation, and once I explained, that should have been enough.

As far as "abuse," you (that's the collective "you") implied that I was lying. To me, after multiple times explaining that I was acting legitimately, that constitutes abuse.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Frankly, at this point, you're just trying to justify bad and rude behavior, so I'm done.

GaryK