Koobface? And other similar viruses/worms

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if someone can contract Koobface (and any other virus/worm/malware) that is put on a users computer via a social networking site such as Myspace/Facebook etc...) just by logging on and using the site or if you actually have to

do something such as click on a link? I used to use MySpace a lot and I still have one, but I barely use it. I have been using Facebook a lot lately, but ever since I learned about Koobface, I have been kind of avoiding it. I'd like to keep using it and myspace as that's how I keep in touch with some people, but if I am at risk for contracting something onto my computer... ugh

I NEVER click on any links on FB (other than the little alerts that pop up to tell you when someone has left you a comment, etc...) and I know all about the links to a YouTube video... bad bad bad to click on.

Thanks Exile :P I haven't added AdBlock plus yet or NoScript, but I plan to soon :P

Do you know if in general if you can get it just by logging onto and using the site? Such as if I signed on on another computer without these protections, or at a friends house, etc... ?

Keep in mind there are lots of ways to get the facebook worm that have nothing to do with facebook . Currently I am seeing both the facebook worm and system security rogue install with juts about everything I research so unsafe surfing in general will likely get you one or the other (or both) .

• Root Admin

If the computer is not running up to date Anti-Virus and up to date Microsoft Security Updates then you're playing with fire by just about any type of surfing and sooner or later you're going to get burned.

Running with an up to date Anti-Virus is a must, using a secondary Anti-Malware product with live protection such as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a good secondary protection as well.

@ Nosirrah

Thanks :P I didn't know that there were ways other than facebook to get the worm. ech.

When you say "I am seeing both the facebook worm and system security rogue install with juts about everything I research", What do you mean by that? By visiting a website or actually installing something?

I hardly surf at all and keep my internet usage to my email, this site, msn.com and other news sites, and a few other sites, due to the huge malware risks on the internet these days, but I do do a little bit of surfing once in a while.

@ AdvancedSetup

Thank you :P I do keep everything up to date, and I recently purchased Malwarebytes :P

These things are really scary. Of course FB will be a target because it has millions upon millions of people that use it. ech :/

@ yardbird:

Thanks for the link :P That's a little disturbing.

I don't completely understand though.. are profiles getting hacked and people are clicking on ads or what?

then I saw this link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/01/mp_facebook_hack/

and this one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/28/so...ecurity_perils/

and that was just... ugh!

:/

@ yardbird:

Thanks for the link :) That's a little disturbing.

I don't completely understand though.. are profiles getting hacked and people are clicking on ads or what?

then I saw this link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/01/mp_facebook_hack/

and this one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/28/so...ecurity_perils/

and that was just... ugh!

:/

To be completely honest at this point in time, I have not had a chance to read it! :D I have to many rss feeds, & emails, & open windows...its the truth :P:P

EDIT: Looks like hackers & a re-direct quote: "The malicious messages said "Look at this!" and directed surfers to a page containing malware."

@ yardbird

that's fine :P I was just wondering if you might be able to explain it better to me if you had read it already.

No worries.

@ yardbird

I already read the link you gave me, is that what you mean?

check out the link that Porthos gave me... that is scary! No more surfing for me...

@ mountaintree16

I don't want to discuss politics here on the forum, but a story came out that ABC Programming thx. to our U.S. pres. is now under control of the white house.

I don't know where the story came from I'm sure you can find something on google.

BTW: In the mid 1933+ in Germany, someone did that on radio, JG, minister of propaganda

EDIT: 1st three hits on google --next topic