Block Windows 10 Update

Hello MB Forum,

I am trying to block Windows 10 from forcing itself on my computer.  Based on my research, I need to delete the following file as one of the steps: $Windows.~BT

However, I read that this could be problematic as you can't revert back to 7 if you ever do upgrade to 10.  Also, I can't even delete it due to permissions.  I've tried everything possible and I still get a message that I need permission from (username) to delete.  If I click "Try Again", nothing happens.

So, 1) should I delete the folder?  It seems ok, but since I have not yet done it I figured I would ask.  And 2) how do I grant the appropriate permissions to successfully delete the folder.

Thanks in advance

Ok this seemed to work.  Thanks!  However, windows update is extremely slow.  I even plugged in my modem directly and it is still not doing anything.  I just want to get this thing to where it is not using up so much RAM and processor (and work properly).  This thing is not doing anything; hardly any data is being transferred.

Thanks in advance

Hello again.  Thanks for all your help on this problem.  I am curious what does the .reg file do?  I read the linked topics and don't quite understand.  Is it analogous to resetting the update service?  What would be an indicator of it merging successfully?  Just curious.

Thanks in advance

This is also an issue for me. Windows 10 keeps on popping and offering me for its free download. However, I just ignored it. By the way, I heard that Microsoft has released a tool already that allows us to block updates from being installed on Windows 10 .

Whether one likes it or not, Win 10 is here to stay.. By availing the free upgrade offer to Win 10, one can still go back to Win 7/8.1 and keep the Win 10 option on hand, when Win 7/8.1 support ends.. One must remember this and avail the offer before it ends this July..

Windows 10 might be here but the average person doesn't need to jump to Microsoft's beck and call just because they want the public to.  They have acted unethically through the use of Dark Patterns and have caused not only bricked computers but ISP quota surcharges through their unanticipated and unexpected actions.

I have always stated, never jump on a new OS Bandwagon.  Wait until the first Service Pack is released. 

One should only upgrade if...

• They are prepared for a failure
  • Have a complete data backup
  • Have the actual OS installer on DVD
  • Have their software installers handy
  • Have all the drivers for their hardware handy
  • Willing to take a risk

Nobody has to take Microsoft up on this offer.  It is NOT free.  It is just free of monetary costs but it has other costs. 

This thread is not a question about if they should proceed with Windows 10.  This thread is a query on how to block Windows 10 and its annoying Pop-Up.

tqh:

The first several sections create a Local Policy that disallows the execution of EXE files in;  C:\windows\system32\gwx

• gwx.exe
  • gwxux.exe
  • GWXConfigManager.exe
  • GWXDetector.exe
  • GWXUXWorker.exe

Then it...

• Disables GWX
  • Disables OS Upgrade through this process
  • Disables Windows 10 Reservation
  • Disables associated Telemetry

Let's say that you have the Get Windows 10 ( GWX ) utility running in the System Tray and you allow the REG file to merge into the Registry.  When you Logoff and then Logon or Reboot and Logon the Get Windows 10 ( GWX ) utility will no longer be running.

If it had already downloaded the Windows 10 installer and WASTED 4GB ~ 6GB of disk space, you can also use Josh Mayfield's GWX Control Panel utility.  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

GWX Control Panel Utility Download

GWX Control Panel 1.7 User Guide

Block_GWX.zip

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{0ffa2c19-64f3-4d7f-be1d-890d9fa318c9}]"LastModified"=hex(b):72,28,e3,3f,a8,35,cc,01"Description"="""SaferFlags"=dword:00000000"ItemData"="C:\\windows\\system32\\gwx\\gwx.exe"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{0ffa2c19-64f3-4d7f-be1d-890d9fa319c9}]"LastModified"=hex(b):72,28,e3,3f,a8,35,cc,01"Description"="""SaferFlags"=dword:00000000"ItemData"="C:\\windows\\system32\\gwx\\GWXUX.exe"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{0ffa2c19-64f3-4d7f-be1d-890d9fa320c9}]"LastModified"=hex(b):72,28,e3,3f,a8,35,cc,01"Description"="""SaferFlags"=dword:00000000"ItemData"="C:\\windows\\system32\\gwx\\GWXConfigManager.exe"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{0ffa2c19-64f3-4d7f-be1d-890d9fa321c9}]"LastModified"=hex(b):72,28,e3,3f,a8,35,cc,01"Description"="""SaferFlags"=dword:00000000"ItemData"="C:\\windows\\system32\\gwx\\GWXDetector.exe"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{0ffa2c19-64f3-4d7f-be1d-890d9fa322c9}]"LastModified"=hex(b):72,28,e3,3f,a8,35,cc,01"Description"="""SaferFlags"=dword:00000000"ItemData"="C:\\windows\\system32\\gwx\\GWXUXWorker.exe"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\safer\codeidentifiers\0\Paths\{3e965477-b86b-4862-8f83-bb5b85a85e0b}]"LastModified"=hex(b):cb,10,41,ea,85,33,d1,01"Description"="""SaferFlags"=dword:00000000"ItemData"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\gwx"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000[HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Policies\DataCollection]"Allow Telemetry"=dword:00000000

Certainly, I too not in favor of Windows in general (as stated in many of my posts) and keep shifting between Windows & Non-windows working..

As to WIn10, I again re-iterate that I was an early bird to upgrade hours even before the official Win 10 release and I use it under 'Multi-boot' with earlier Windows.. So far, hav'nt had any problems, but concerns about the security, is what drives me away to Non-windows options..

So, this is just to make things clear.. Tks..

• 1 month later...