Malwarebytes crashing Windows 10 in detail

Hi all

Gonna jump straight to point windows event id information and who crashed information. New parts and system reformat done also, I also replaced those new parts because of this issue new ram, motherboard and CPU again. At this stage I'm removing malwarebytes privilege on system boot and generally running, this sucks as I love this software.

Who crashed

On Mon 22/02/2016 8:14:13 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022216-17703-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x61B8)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x99, 0xFFFFE001EFF75B18, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mwac.sys
product: Malwarebytes Web Access Control
company: Malwarebytes Corporation
description: Malwarebytes Web Access Control
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Access Control, Malwarebytes Corporation).
Google query: Malwarebytes Corporation BAD_POOL_CALLER

On Fri 19/02/2016 6:13:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022016-14093-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x90BF)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x126C, 0x83E0C48, 0xFFFFE000083E0B18)
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Access Control, Malwarebytes Corporation).

On Fri 19/02/2016 9:31:16 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021916-12046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x90BF)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0xB, 0xFFFFE0000ECC3558, 0x0, 0xFFFFE0000ECC36E8)

Windows event ID info

EventData
    BugcheckCode 194     BugcheckParameter1 0x99     BugcheckParameter2 0xffffe001eff75b18     BugcheckParameter3 0x0     BugcheckParameter4 0x0     SleepInProgress 0     PowerButtonTimestamp 0

BootAppStatus

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/170037-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Now, as for the MalwareBytes caused crash...

Most of the crashes that we see like this are a result of (IMO only) a conflict with an antivirus program.

The 2 most common seem to be BitDefender 2016and Avast (this may just be a coincidence, but it is being looked into by the MalwareBytes staff)

One or two people report that BitDefender 2015 works without BSOD's.

Next is that the crash may/may not be due to MalwareBytes.  Here's the possible scenario:

- another program writes to the memory space owned by MalwareBytes and then exits (in this case, we're presuming that it's the antivirus).

- then, after a bit, MalwareBytes attempts to access this address space and finds unknown data there.

- it's driver panics when it sees this, and this causes Windows to throw a BSOD in order to prevent damage to the system. 

It has to blame the MalwareBytes driver as there's no other evidence of what caused it.

So, there's 4 or 5 different ways of handling this:

- uninstalling the other antivirus

- preventing the other antivirus from loading with Windows

- uninstalling MalwareBytes

- preventing MalwareBytes from loading with Windows

- putting up with this until the actual cause has been determined and fixed (it's unknown how long this'll take)

This is not a diagnosis of your problem.

I can't do that without the reports that I requested.

I provide the discussion about the address conflict just in case you're suffering from it (and, after I perform the analysis, it may be what I conclude).

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Not sure if the person who initiated this thread ever followed through, but I arrived here experiencing the same problem.  I am, in fact, running both Malwarebytes and Bitdefender 2016, so perhaps that is the culprit.

On Sun 4/10/2016 8:28:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\041016-12593-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x126C, 0x0, 0xFFFFE0010AD9D7D8)

3 minutes ago, Tullamore said:

Hello,

Not sure if the person who initiated this thread ever followed through, but I arrived here experiencing the same problem.  I am, in fact, running both Malwarebytes and Bitdefender 2016, so perhaps that is the culprit.

On Sun 4/10/2016 8:28:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\041016-12593-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x126C, 0x0, 0xFFFFE0010AD9D7D8)

I actually found the solution to this issue..... After a lot of research we have to install Bitdefender 2015 verion. After doing this the BSOD error does not happen anymore. I have included the 2015 Bitdefender links here or you can get the same downloads at the following link:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-install-bitdefender-2015-on-windows-10-with-the-offline-installation-kit-1452.html

Install 2015 Bitdefender:

The Bitdefender Antivirus 2015 installation kit can be downloaded from one of the 2 locations:

- 32bit

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/av_plus/2015w10/en-us/bitdefender_av_19_32b.exe

- 64bit

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/av_plus/2015w10/en-us/bitdefender_av_19_64b.exe

The Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 installation kit can be downloaded from one of the 2 locations:

- 32bit:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/i_security/2015w10/en-us/bitdefender_is_19_32b.exe

- 64bit:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/i_security/2015w10/en-us/bitdefender_is_19_64b.exe

The Bitdefender Total Security 2015 installation kit can be downloaded from one of the 2 locations:

- 32bit:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/t_security/2015w10/en-us/bitdefender_ts_19_32b.exe

- 64bit

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/t_security/2015w10/en-us/bitdefender_ts_19_64b.exe

I've gathered several posts together to make this quote:

Please follow the instructions below to help BitDefender and MalwareBytes play nicely together.  The following quote boxes are extracted from this topic (posts made by Maurice Naggar):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610374/crashes-with-bad-pool-header/#entry3976612

What I have found in most cases, is that the customer's pc has had some type of updrade of B D & for whatever reason, one of the BitDefender drivers for the B D firewall was not the most recent.
I have also tested the 2 software suites extensively on my Windows 10 without issues.

I would suggest doing the following to insure a real clean new install, for both suites.
Please try the following.

1. Fully uninstall Bitdefender 2016 Total Security via the Program and Features ( installed programs) in Control Panel.
You can press and hold the Windows-key + tap *R* key to get the RUN option.
then type in

appwiz.cpl

and tap Enter. Locate *Bitdefender* in the list.  Click the line to select it. Then select Uninstall.
Be sure it finishes the uninstall.

2. Then download and run the following Bitdefender removal tool: http://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2016_UninstallTool.exe

3. Then reboot the computer. Then follow the directions below to do a clean removal of MBAM but do not reinstall just yet.

link fo "MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x": https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=146017

4. After you've removed MBAM using those directions then run the following temp file cleaner.

Please Run this tool to clear temporary files:
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune, saving it to your desktop.
"From-this-link-page":http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/atf_cleaner,1.html

It is used to cleanout temporary files & temp areas used by internet browsers.
Start "ATF-Cleaner.exe" to run the program.

Under *Main* choose: **Select All**

Click the **Empty Selected** button.

If you use Firefox browser, do this also:
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

Click the Empty Selected button.

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

If you use Opera browser, do this also:
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

Click the Empty Selected button.

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Restart the computer one more time.

Then reinstall Bitdefender 2016 Total Security, check for updates. Then reboot the computer one more time now.

At this point go ahead and reinstall MBAM again and update it and activate it. Then do a Threat Scan.

You can download the latest version from this link

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_current/

Save the setup first, to your disc. After that, do a right-click on the setup-exe file and select RUN as Administrator and reply YES to allow it to proceed.

Be sure to do one Update run in our program to get the latest database updates.  Then also Restart Windows so that it is in a new session after all this.

Let us know the results.  Thank you.

Additional suggestions:

Let me suggest one additional tweak:

I would highly recommend some trust setting adjustments for BitDefender and our program as well.
Generally speaking one needs to set BitDefender to trust the program components of the Malwarebytes.

In order for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Bitdefender  to work smoother, you should configure both applications. 

How to configure *Bitdefender*  to exclude Malwarebytes files -
Step 1. Open *Bitdefender*
Step 2. Click on "Modules"  near the bottom of the window so that you see a white screen
Step 3. You should see a Protection tab with  white background

Step 4. click on the "Trusted applications" line in black, on the left side
Step 5. You should see a new window BitDefender Trusted Applications

Step 6. Click "Add" button (blue color)
Use the navigation tree to get to the C drive and its sub-folders

Step 7. Click on the + sign on the line Windows C drive

Step 8. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' , select desired folder and click "OK"

You will need to select each EXE file - one by one

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Step 9. Make sure that the option "Both" is checked and select "Add"

Step 10. Click "OK"

How to add your Bitdefender  folder to Malwarebytes "Malware Exclusions" list -
Step 1. Open the Malwarebytes application
Step 2. Click on "Settings"
Step 3. Click "Malware Exclusions" in the left column
Step 4. Click on "Add Folder"
Step 5. Navigate to 'C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016'
Step 6. Click once on "C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016" folder to highlight it
Step 7. Click on "Select Folder"

also do the same for the folder  C:\Program Files\Bitdefender Agent

Step 8. Close Malwarebytes
Step 9. Reboot your computer <--Very Important!

Note: These folder locations are generally for a 64-bit Windows.   For 32-bit Windows, the Malwarebytes program folder will be under  C:\Program Files.

Final tip:

One further last tip.  "bad pool" type b.s.o.d.  aborts are due to driver issues.  Please be sure to make regular checks for updates for all installed apps.

Check on other update issues as well, by getting, installing and using Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) on a regular basis.
See How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial174.html

• 1 year later...

My Windows 10 PC began experiencing issues with freezing, removing shortcuts, and a black screen necessitating most times a hard reboot.   After numerous reboots, I managed to trace the problems to Malwarebytes.  It also put up a message that web protection was turned off, but it couldn't be turned back on.  Ultimately I was forced to uninstall Malwarebytes Premium and download a fresh copy.  While the Malwarebytes version and component version was the same as what I had, there was a difference in the update package version.  I had 1.0.3799 and the new one was 1.0.3803.

I'm unable to ascertain as to whether it was the fresh copy of Malwarebytes or the updated package version that provided the remedy, but I'm pleased a remedy was forthcoming.

Edited by StrayCat
5 hours ago, StrayCat said:

the updated package version that provided the remedy, but I'm pleased a remedy was forthcoming.

it was the updated package.

;)

Thanks for the update and your continued support of Malwarebytes. If you have any more issues don’t hesitate to post.:)