What is the point of "Fix Now"?

Hi

This is something that has intrigued me ever since I started using MBAM. Why does the app require me to click a button to fix something that the app could just fix itself?The issues to be "fixed" are usually things like malware or malicious web protection is not working for some reason, or the databases are out of date. I just do not understand why it takes a human to intervene to permit issues to be fixed.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Hi:

Until a staff member has a chance to reply....

Such parlance ("fix now") is quite common in the software industry, from MS to security software publishers to other software publishers.

It's a generic wording to notify that the application (or OS or some component thereof) is malfunctioning.

In this case, MBAM is notifying the user that some component of the program is not working properly, but the "fix" may not be in the control of the application.  There are other notifications for other problems.

For example, if MBAM cannot update its databases because the computer has no internet access (for whatever reason), that is not something MBAM can fix. The problem is with the computer and the user must interact with the system to fix it.  Or the user might have configured the MBAM settings improperly -- that, too, might trigger a notification.  But the user would need to change the settings or otherwise interact with the program to fix it.

Etc., etc., etc.

Think of it as similar to the lights on the dashboard display of your car, notifying you that you have a flat tire, or are out of oil or gas, or your brakes are dead or your battery is dead.  The car cannot fix its own flat or fill up its own gas tank or.....

I don't personally know of any machinery or device or computer or computer SOFTWARE that functions 100% without any user interaction, especially if the computer in question has a problem that underlies the trouble message.

Perhaps if you might tell us the exact error you are seeing (or a screen shot of the dashboard/error), we could better answer your question???? :)

Cheers,

Thanks for the reply. I think the analogy with car dashboard lights breaks down (see what I did there?) ;) , since the *only* thing that I'm doing after a notification that there is a problem is to click "Fix Now" i.e. I'm not doing anything else. So whatever underlying problem there once was has already been fixed. Most other similar s/w I've seen has some form of retry functionality, so that it doesn't just sit there like a lame duck after encountering an issue.

As stated before, the issues encountered are that some element of malware protection is not working (and this isn't after a config change) or the databases are out of date. I'm not sure what you mean by "exact error".

As stated before, the issues encountered are that some element of malware protection is not working (and this isn't after a config change) or the databases are out of date. I'm not sure what you mean by "exact error".

That can be due to a number of diverse causes, some of which the program *might* be able to "fix" with interaction from the user, some not.

These include malware infection which may be interfering with MBAM's proper function, problems with system configuration, software conflicts, internet connectivity issues, etc.

It's impossible to say anything more specific without knowing more detail.

But this is no different from similar messages from other security applications, other software, and even the Windows OS itself.

It is a "dialog".

In order to cut to the chase to better assist you, it would help if you could please share with us the following:

• A screen shot or the EXACT error message you are seeing; AND
  • The basic system information in these: Diagnostic Logs (please attach all 3 of them to your next reply here in this thread).

Thanks,

Hosts: 127.0.0.1 activation.acronis.com

This prevents us from assisting you further.

We will not assist users that are obviously using illegal software.

If any such evidence is found you will be given the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to completely uninstall and delete any such data from your system.

During the scanning process if any further evidence shows up your topic will be closed and no further assistance will be provided.

If you're using Peer 2 Peer software such as uTorrent or similar you must either fully uninstall it or completely disable it from running while being assisted here.

Failure to remove or disable such software will result in your topic being closed and no further assistance being provided.

If your topic was closed and you wish to remove the pirated software, hack, illegal movies, music, etc. please do so and send a PM to an Administrator to have your topic reopened.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/97700-piracy/

Let's start with routine troubleshooting:

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

In  some cases after a Win 10 upgrade M BAM can be a little wacky. A clean install following the instructions can fix a lot of issues. PLEASE deactivate MBAM first from the My Account section to avoid re activation issues.If there are still issues It can be digonsed from there because the issue will still be active.

I ended up doing a clean install of Win10 and MBAM seems to be fine now (as no doubt it would be, at least for a time, if I pushed the Fix Now button).

Slightly ironic though that it needs extra utilities to produce several log files (why aren't they built in to the app?) but even with all that, the smoking gun is still elusive.

And my original point still stands i.e. the Fix Now button should really be self-pushing. ;-)