Tommasone

MBARW on file server?

Instead of intalling MBARW on clients, is it possible to install it in a file server? 

Will it work?

Will detect and stop if an infected client is trying to encrypt the files on the server?

Waiting for your answer.

I have file server avaliable for testing it, if necessary.

Let me know

Thanks

T.

DON'T DO IT!!!  At least not now.  Here is my experience.  Two weeks ago I installed this on our main file server.  All seemed well.  However, after about a week I began getting complaints from people that it was taking a long time to open and save documents.  At first I thought this was a wireless issue for the few that complained, but I kept getting more and more complaints.  Finally one guy told me when it started, and it was the same day that I installed the software.

I then check diagnostics on my virtual server and found that my file server was going crazy with disk usage.  Also in my experiments, it would typically take about 20 seconds to 2 minutes for a simple Word document to open.  I then stopped the mbarw software, and suddenly my server went to mostly idle drives and Word documents opened in seconds.  Just to verify, I started the service again and the same sluggishness appeared as before.

I hope one of the MalwareBytes people can comment on this.  It would be nice to know what it is doing and why it seemed to be so disk intensive for me, but I would say that this isn't meant to be run on a file server.  That is too bad, too.  We have so many BYOD that securing the file server would be a one stop solution, but I see no good way to secure all the personal machines in our org.

Hello Tommasone and :welcome:

The authoritative answer is within https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/178399-mbarw-not-work-in-windows-server-2008-2008-r2-and-2012/#entry1017917

I'm sorry but MBARW is not supported for use with any Windows servers.

A non-authoritative opinion is, in the future, the core technology of MBARW may find its way into business/enterprise solutions from Malwarebytes Corp.

Thank you.

DON'T DO IT!!!  At least not now.  Here is my experience.  Two weeks ago I installed this on our main file server.  All seemed well.  However, after about a week I began getting complaints from people that it was taking a long time to open and save documents.  At first I thought this was a wireless issue for the few that complained, but I kept getting more and more complaints.  Finally one guy told me when it started, and it was the same day that I installed the software.

I then check diagnostics on my virtual server and found that my file server was going crazy with disk usage.  Also in my experiments, it would typically take about 20 seconds to 2 minutes for a simple Word document to open.  I then stopped the mbarw software, and suddenly my server went to mostly idle drives and Word documents opened in seconds.  Just to verify, I started the service again and the same sluggishness appeared as before.

I hope one of the MalwareBytes people can comment on this.  It would be nice to know what it is doing and why it seemed to be so disk intensive for me, but I would say that this isn't meant to be run on a file server.  That is too bad, too.  We have so many BYOD that securing the file server would be a one stop solution, but I see no good way to secure all the personal machines in our org.

What are you expecting, using a program that is in beta on a production machine, running an OS that isn't even supported? It's been said many, many time here that this shouldn't be done. This is true for every beta that exists.

Oh no I totally agree about betas. This server was fine to take this risk. The problem was such that it wasn't obvious for a while.

I would like to say that I didn't find anything about what OSs are supported. Maybe I missed that.

Hi:

In addition to the expert warnings already offered about NOT running BETA software in a production environment both in this thread and here:

As this is the very first beta we do encourage beta users to install the product in non-production environments for testing purposes.

...please see here:

Hi,

MBARW is in its Beta-testing phase. That means we do not recommend installing it on any work-related machine as the results may be unpredictable. Especially on Windows Servers, which are not supported.

Thank you,

Thank you for your answers.

Hope in future you release a server side version, it will be very very useful for IT and i will buy it for sure!

Greetings

T.