Windows XP won't boot

I have an older computer with XP that I want to get running for my kids to play with but it would not boot. I have pulled the hard drive and can access it through a black widow docking station. it is showing as a healthy drive and all tests I know to run (which are just basics) are saying that there are no corrupt files. I can access all files on the drive but I am unsure how to run FARBAR on just that drive as it is plugged in through a usb port. I have run several virus scans, also MBAM to no avail. There were several Trojans and adware programs that were found and removed but still wont boot up. Is this something you can help with?

It was XP Professional SP2 I believe. I don't think it had been upgraded to SP3. I do not have the disks to reinstall it either. They were lost in one of the several moves I have made since I bought it.

When I try to boot it up, I get the screen that shows windows loading where I would push F2 for safe mode and the screen goes black before it can finish loading with nothing at all on the screen. This occurs if I push F2, F12 for setup options, or let it try to load on its own.

See if you can force a BSOD and see what is wrong:

Select the ON button, as the PC starts tap on the F8 key and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

DisableAutomaticRestart.jpg

Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure"  then tap the ENTER key.

The operating system will attempt to restart normally, after restart it will crash. The screen will freeze and you will see a BSOD with an error message.

bsod_c.jpg

Copy the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

Download XP recovery console and burn to a CD from here: https://web.archive.org/web/20130925012049/www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Boot the PC from CD, when open do the following:

It may ask you which Windows installation, if you have only 1, press 1
It will ask for an administrator password, if you don't have, simply press ENTER
Then, run;

CHKDSK C: /R

Allow it to finish, remove the CD try to boot normally.

When attempting this, it made it to the windows screen then went black, it did not show the whole thinking process like it normally would, but after waiting it booted up to the point that it showed the user and wanted a password (which the account it's on does not have one, only the admin). Then the screen goes black again before I could even hit enter. It seems as though the computer is working, disk is spinning, hard drive is thinking. I hit enter to see if it would continue with its process but the screen remained black, disk stopped after a while. Is it possible that something caused the screen to go out so that it only works momentarily on start up? Should I connect it to another computer to test the screen through the back of the computer via a cable?

When trying to boot from the cd that i made from the download, it did get to the logon screen but then goes to the black screen before I could press enter to log on. It did not ask me which windows installation I wanted. It did not ask me for an admin password. It did not give me the opportunity to run CHKDSK C: /R

I can get it to where it says that it is supposed to load from the cd but it still tries to load the same way and then goes black. Also I have a windows 7 disk that I thought just for the heck of it I would see if it would try to load it and it does the same thing as using the rescue disk or loading off the hard drive. Not sure if that helps you any.

When you Boot with the CD in the tray and CD/DVD is definitely 1st in boot order you should see a black screen with select any key to boot from CD/DVD in the top left corner, a timer runs. If you do not press any key the 2nd entry in the boot order then takes priority..

Do you see the option to select any key to boot from CD/DVD at boot?

I have tried every combination possible over and over again and I cannot get it to boot the cd/dvd and give me the option to select any key. The screen just goes black. I am lucky if I can catch it soon enough after hitting F12 to even give me the option to load from the cd/dvd before the screen turns black and stays that way. The computer is running the cd/dvd but it just wont show it on the screen. I can feel the cd/dvd drive running. Is it possible to hook the hard drive up as a secondary on my other computer and run the recovery on it that way. I know I can access it, I went in and ran virus scans and took the files I wanted off of it.

The problem of a black screen cutting in very quickly could be indicative of a video card problem, is the video card seperate or integrated into the Motherboard. If it is a seperate entity maybe is worthwhile pulling the card, give a clean then reseating, or if possible try the card in another PC, or try a video card from another PC into the sick PC....

It does seem that the PC is trying to boot...

You mention running scans on the HD from another PC, do you have any logs or information to show what was actually removed. The recovery console CD is a self booting system, if we cannot get past the black screen issue then we are more or less stumped...

Cheers,

Kevin....

Windows defender pulled several out as well when I ran it from another computer. Not sure if there is a history where it stores past scans on that, I was not able to find it. I am going to pop my other dell apart and see if the video card is the same, it is separate on the machine I am working on.

I will get back with you when I find out if the card is the issue

kapersky1.txt

norton.txt

Update:

Connected to my tv for an external monitor and it shows that it is trying to boot. Here are the steps I took

I booted the PC from the CD/DVD drive.

It says to hit any key, so I did,

It says loading setup

Received the following after it finished

Technical information:

*** STOP:  0x0000007E (0xC0000005, oxF76120BF, 0xF7A5E208, 0xF7A5DF08)

***              pci.sys - Address F76120BF base at F760B000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

It did not say anything about a page fault in non paged area at the top like your response in #4 above shows

It does however suggest disabling bios memory options such as caching or shadowing, if this helps.

Those stop codes could very well indicate a hardware problem, maybe bad ram.... Can you remove the Recovery Console CD and just try to boot the PC when connected to the TV, what happens?

i`d also run a test on the PC ram, you can download MemTest86 from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ burn to  a CD, you can boot from the CD, it is self supporting... You would need to connected to the TV...

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!