@ yardbird

huh whoa really confused...

@ mountaintree16

Sorry if it looked confusing, it was a registry experment in the pc... regards

Guest victimized

So it is safe to delete paths from there right? LOL why does it say Easter Egg? Good scripting BTW.

Hi victimized

you would have to start from the 1st post, and download the tool by Advanced Setup. Which gave me a small prob. So I will try the post on page 3 -- post no. #49, is the new project... later

Hi mona7865 what is 387 in your post above. (I was doing a 18hr. pc adventure, so I'm a little tired) :)

Guest victimized
Hi victimized

you would have to start from the 1st post, and download the tool by Advanced Setup. Which gave me a small prob. So I will try the post on page 3 -- post no. #49, is the new project... later

Hi. I already downloaded it and used it. 303 Easter Eggs

@ AdvancedSetup

Started to download from your link, which took me to: http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/ERUNT/ERUNT.html ERUNT Download takes me to the next page where I get a message that says: Please wait... contacting download location! with a green bar loading 7/8th of the way up (in a loop) maybe the server is busy. for an hour now. Also if when I get the erunt-setup.exe, how much space & time is this going to take? and can I store this on a Fanthom 80GB USB HD that is empty. As my C drive is getting full? TIA..

Hi Yardbird. There is no issue. You can simply delete that key and reboot the computer and it will put it back for you.

Click on START - RUN and Copy/Paste the following into the run line and click OK

CMD /C REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{0D6D4F41-2994-4BA0-8FEF-620E43CD2812}"  /F

Click on START - RUN and Copy/Paste the following into the run line and click OK

CMD /C REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}"  /F

CMD /C REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}"  /F

Now restart your computer and the entries you made or changed should have no affect. The script I wrote will show no entries except the main keys.

As you continue to use the computer though it will put back new entries and it is safe and nothing wrong with it.

Should not be getting that redirect unless you have some entry on your box doing that. I gave a link direct to the author's page and it opens directly for me.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Try deleting all of your IE/FF cache and cookies and then hit the link again.

got the .exe on my desktop..but I'm getting lots if IE will close now errors. any comments on this? do I run your code or the .exe? Or do you want to pick this up at another time? looks like your busy...

Not sure what issue you're really having there Yardbird. My program does nothing but query the registry.

If you're having odd things happen maybe you need to do some scans for Malware. We would need more details of what specific issues your seeing or having.

@ AdvancedSteup Exe. has been run, all instructions followed as in your post# 49 above.. (IE issue browser just closed, one of those Send Error to MS or Don't Send) Now that the program ran & re-booted, The registry is backed up in C:\Windows\ERDNT\<todays date> It was a sucess. Is there another step? TIA....

Hi YB - please describe what issues you're having. Fully removing, or alerting, or doing anything with that key will have NO ill outcome on your system.

Please let us know what issues or concerns you have or are seeing.

your pm box is full, need to get at that. Or you should check the same place I sent the trend micro screenshots to, then it will make sense...

Hi mona7865 what is 387 in your post above. (I was doing a 18hr. pc adventure, so I'm a little tired) :P

Sorry about the late reply (I've been busy updating and configuring a Compaq mini 730 I've won through a competition and it's been giving me a hard time :P ).

I meant I had 387 Easter eggs when I ran this tool (just out of curiosity).

@ mona7865

ok, thats all the info that ms reads.. you would need to ask AdvancedSetup about how they do that? My DSL modem broke :P I connected on a phone line at 28.8 (this is bad :P ) Its an adventure just to type & post... maybe my modem will arrive Thursday.... cya later.. regards yardbird

There is nothing to do about it really. It's perfectly safe and known tracking used by Microsoft for many years now. It is no threat to your safety or security and I only wrote the tool to show what was being stored on your computer for those curious.

The link I provided to the other site discusses methods to stop this key from tracking, but again there is no need for alarm or concern about it.

I just ran the tool out of curiosity and was surprised at the amount of Easter eggs found (I'm just glad I don't have to eat them all :P). It's always nice to learn something new about the inside of your computer.

There is nothing to do about it really. It's perfectly safe and known tracking used by Microsoft for many years now. It is no threat to your safety or security and I only wrote the tool to show what was being stored on your computer for those curious.

It is a great tool, I'm not concerned about MS tracking. You think thay would invest more money into an OS system in the early years that gave me less blue screens of errors & death? The Erunt program has my registery backed up just fine, and even thought I unchecked the box for NTREGOPT thats on my start menu? I read what it does, and wonder if I should run it? but before I do I wanted to hear your comments @ AdvancedSetup, but I'm still on a phone line. It takes forever to post. I'm expecting a motorola 3347 in the afternoon. I ordered a backup Actiontec in case the 3347 goes south? I can switch modems in mins.

You think thay would invest more money into an OS system in the early years that gave me less blue screens of errors & death?

They did, it's called Vista. To date I've had exactly 0 BSOD's. A few "freezes" though, but those were caused by a beta version of a certain software that is now functioning as it should :P . Also note that although it does track what you've run through those reg keys, I don't believe that info ever leaves your PC or gets uploaded to Microsoft's servers.

I don't believe that info ever leaves your PC or gets uploaded to Microsoft's servers.

its there for a reason, what do you think for? maybe it dosen't go to MS then? I would have to think about that one. At any rate I just hpoe my DSL modem shows up today. good to see you exile360

I've had 0 BSOD on XP and I've built hundreds of machines with XP over time.

Save the data you want and send me your computer and I'll FDISK/Format and install Windows XP and there will NOT be any BSOD when delivered back to you. What happens after that though is typically what happens to most users, they install tons of software or drivers that are old or conflict, etc.. and sooner or later - BSOD. Will happen with Vista unless you let Vista do its job and not install old bad drivers.

Just joking on sending me the box, just making a point that a GOOD install of XP does not have any issues.

I never had a BSOD on XP home or pro. I think I was talking about the Win 95 & 98 years. This 5150 Inspiron notebook came with a 30GB HD. I did a Norton Ghost Dance, Backed it up on a 200 GB USB Maxtor Ext. HD. & bought an 80GB from TigerDirect for $79.00. A Western Digital. and swapped HD's out. When I remove software from add/remove in the CP. I also go into regedit and remove it from there. But I think my question to you was early in the posts of the thread. I installed ERUNT as you said. Got a perfect backup of the registry. On this thread page # 3 Post # 49 I downloaded ERUNT But did not use NTREGOPT which is on my start menu. From looking at the website http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ its a Registry Optimizer which I never did use? I was wondering about it? I did the recovery backup but not what was on the rt. side of the website. All running smooth here with the exception that my DSL modem didn't show up today, and I'm still stuck on a phone line. I think I got my question right? running on a phone line is doing some crazy things to my video. who knows I may have posted in the wrong thread :D TIA....

The registry optimizer is a good thing I think if you've never used it before and you've installed, uninstalled a lot of software over the years.

All it does is remove blank dead space like a normal database which can improve performance. It will tell you how much in percentage it saves just before you click ok to reboot. If it's 20% or more then you will probably notice a difference, if it's less than 20% you may or may not notice a difference depending on how in tune you are to your system.

I've done it on many old systems and have never had a failure (but you may want to run a CHKDSK first to make sure nothing is wrong with the drive.

This should work for XP, but not for Vista.

You may have corrupted files on your disk. Please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /F | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

@ AdvancedSetuo

Worked just fine! CHKDSK was clean as always... reboot, ran the NTREGOPT.EXE (boots up slightly faster) Think I'm in the 3% group. thanks for the instructions... yardbird