MSTRACKS

Too many to name them all, and some too dangerous to post here :P . I've got oodles of tweaks, fixes and other stuff, some of which I made and others I've found around the web. AdvancedSetup has some awesome stuff just like this that he's made with kixstart. He's let me try a few and they're pretty cool :) .

You two are ready to write a book! :) everyone else is... see my edit above your post on how the tool work'ed after I fixed the reg to disable logging.....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try running CCleaner (if you use it) and check the UserAssist box then have it clean it. Then run some more programs followed by AdvancedSetup's tool and let us know if it shows anything. It hopefully won't.

edit: double check your registry after running CCleaner though, as it might also delete your "Settings" key. If it does, then just re-add it.

I have been using Ccleaner for a year +, I'm working on my wifes notebook. Running the tool, & CCleaner, checked UserAssist in CC, running that. working on the wifes reg now HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ UserAssist\ disabling that. And checking my pc. as you posted... using 3 hands mine reg is holding... so I'm good... let me finish on the wife's notebook... in about 3 mins...

Yup, that's part of what those lists in the registry are for, so if you want it listing the recently used stuff you need to remove that custom key. It probably won't list recently opened documents either. I always disable that setting myself and just build a list using the right-click "Pin to Start Menu" option.

@ AdvancedSetup

aw geeze. Wow.

so what exactly is it tracking? does it only thru IE or just using your computer in general?

I'll check this out later when I get home.

Time to get to CC cleaner I guess! Do you know if ATF would clean it up?

@ exile360

Were going to rename that key from settings on the left pane to New Key and keep the settings on the rt. pane.

let me know your thoughts? that fixes the Start menu, but only time will tell if it disables the ms logging... your comments are needed if any... ? TIA yardbird

after changing the name from settings on the left side to newkey -- the right side under newkey after a reboot reads NoLog then on the far right REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

think it will work or -- the start menu is accepting programs, if it don't work as you say, what if I leave it the way it is. ?? TIA

ok I confess I don't know half as much about the reg as you. will put all back the way it was. Thanks for taking the time to look it over. It was a longshot.. you could tell me about it Friday or whenever... thx again... will be in the reg... later

No sense me changing anything, the two pc's, the keys are removed & all is ok now. I'll never know as much about the reg. as you. So I'll just follow you instructions. I was just wondering why changing the name cancels out the entire process?

Something you might want to clue me in in a few days ..lets take a break off the topic for now.. thanks for putting up with me! I like to try new things. but when it comes to the reg. if you say it will not work. you know? its cool. :P get some rest. I'll be back on late tonight. Thanks for getting my start menu back....cya later... Installing adobe 9 from the link you posted, stand alone... so I'l be here a bit.

• Root Admin

Yardbird... you may want to give this a spin. Not sure if it works for 64 BIT but maybe Exile can check on that.

Back up your registry with ERUNT

• Download ERUNT from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click erunt-setup.exe to install the program
  • Follow the prompts, and then uncheck Create NTREGOPT desktop icon at the Additional Tasks screen.
  • At the next screen, uncheck Show documentation and check Launch ERUNT
  • If ERUNT doesnt start by itself, launch it from the desktop shortcut.
  • At the configuration screen, make sure all 3 checkboxes are checked
  • Click Ok to run the backup process
    Note:
    The backups can be restored from here:
    C:\windows\ERDNT\<todays date>\ERDNT.exe

Hi Advanced Setup! well I guess you saw, I could not put programs back in the Start Menu? and exile360 said remove the key which fixed it. On this thread. Post 18 pic on the left side & Post 20 on the right pane, I thought would work? I was done here @ 7am and just woke up around noon. I got to focus my eyes. Give me some time, before the next step you posted + Farthers Day is Sun. and the wife & I bought nothing.. but will address your post "Back up your registry with ERUNT" after a day or two. thx for the reply. I guess "NewKey" on the left side does not work. When I ran your tool the entries started going up into the 50's 60's. But well try it... and report back.