tribeca

***URGENT*** MBAE*** Multiple alerts

Hi,

Throughout yesterday (27/01/2016) and today we have been getting a large number of alerts. They are specifically two types of alerts. It only seemed to affect users using IE.

28/01/2016 14:40:51        WKS11        192.168.1.1        Exploit memory HeapSpray attempt blocked        BLOCK

28/01/2016 14:23:28        LAP19        192.168.1.2       Exploit attempt to bypass ASLR blocked        BLOCK

Looking on your forums coincidentally there are two threads from yesterday with reported the same issue:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/177952-getting-exploit-attempt-to-bypass-aslr-blocked-and-exploit-memory-heapspray-attempt/

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/177931-multiple-exploit-blocks/

This had large impact on productivity as users were unable certain parts of website etc.

Do you have BitDefender installed by any chance?

It seems they updated their software recently and it causes a conflict.

Please provide MBAE and FRST logs. Instructions in my signature.

In the meantime you can deactivate these techniques:

Console -> Policy -> Anti-Exploit -> Advanced -> Hardening -> Deactivate Anti-HeapSpraying

Console -> Policy -> Anti-Exploit -> Advanced -> Hardening -> Deactivate BottomUp ASLR

Yes - We also run Bitdefender.

Sorry I can not get the logs over you at the moment as the users are extremely busy.

I ended up editing my policy to not watch for those issues.  I ended up unchecking the two boxes for Browser.  This stopped the alerts to the users.  Not sure if this is the recommended way,

but it works.  Go to the Anti-Exploit tab, choose advanced, then uncheck "DEP enforcement" and uncheck "Anti Heapspraying"

MB_Error2png.png

MB_Error3png.png

Morning,

I left MBAE Turned off since. I will install the new build now.

Can we have on official statement pleases as I need to pass this onto a client.

Yes, of course.

BitDefender recently released an upgrade to their clients. The upgrade contains a bug in one of its modules that causes the conflict and triggers the detection. The component is the following:

C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Antivirus Free Edition\avc3\avc3_sig_336\avcuf32.dll