Offline update

Edit: The following procedure is no longer applicable.

Hello @Gurthang and :welcome:

Manual Malware Database Update Procedure for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Version 2.x (MBAM2)

The following procedure may be employed as an emergency/temporary substitute for a functioning Internet connection on a target system with MBAM2 previously installed:

1. Using another computer, with a trusted Internet connection, please download the last zipped mbam-rules installer from >>HERE<<.
  2. After a successful download, left-double-click the mbam-rules-YYYY.MM.DD.zip file and similarly open the deepest nested folder till the mbam2-rules.exe file is located.
  3. Sneakernet the above digitally signed executable to only an Administrator Desktop of the target system.
  4. Single-right-click the mbam2-rules.exe file single-left-click the RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as administrator entry.
  5. If a Windows User Account Control (UAC) alert/prompt for mbam2-rules.exe appears, select the "Yes" button to continue.
  6. A Setup - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Rules window will open. Left-single-click the Next > button.
  7. The above window will ask that the installation be confirmed. If acceptable, left-single-click the Install button.
  8. The same above window will show a horizontal installation progress bar that will finish soon. When completed, left-single-click the Finish button and the installer window will close.
  9. MBAM2's Malware Database will have been manually installed and the executable will have updated the MBAM2 Malware Database of the target system to approximately within the last 7 days.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW
The download is no longer available.

Thanks Spam Hunters. Actually, I am going to use this method on a regular basis, on a machine which is kept permanently offline.

I also read about an alternative method. It consists in sneakernetting the Rules.ref file and the Configuration folder and copying them straight in the same folder on the offline computer. Can you tell me if it is feasible?

• 1 month later...

Hello Gurthang and :welcome:

Manual Malware Database Update Procedure for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Version 2.x (MBAM2)

The following procedure may be employed as a emergency/temporary substitute for a functioning Internet connection on a target system with MBAM2 previously installed:

• Using another computer, with a trusted Internet connection, please download the last zipped mbam-rules installer from >>HERE<<.
  • After a successful download, left-double-click the mbam-rules-YYYY.MM.DD.zip file and similarly open the deepest nested folder till the mbam2-rules.exe file is located.
  • Sneakernet the above digitally signed executable to only an Administrator Desktop of the target system.
  • Single-right-click the mbam2-rules.exe file single-left-click the RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as administrator entry.

Unfortunately mbam2-rules.exe won't run on 64-bit Windows -- when run using right-click/RunAsAdmin, it fails with "file is corrupted" message, but when run from an admin-level CMD window, I get the "mbam2-rules.exe cannot start because it is incompatible with 64-bit versions of Windows.  I don't want to allow this probably-infected machine online to contact a command-and-control server before I disinfect it.  How can I update MBAMv2 manually?

Hello AngusSF and :welcome:

I have just retested my above procedure using a 64-bit Windows system with the recent mbam-rules download.  I was unable to replicate your reported issue.

I recommend following the advice from the topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and have one of the Malware Removal Experts assist you with your issue.

If, as recommended, you do open a topic in Malware Removal Help, please make reference to this thread.

If you would like to get off to a very fast start, the Malware Removal Experts would appreciate it if you would also attach (not copy/paste) both the FRST.txt and the Addition.txt output diagnostic reports from only Log Set 1 into your new topic. Please do not tick, nor untick, any pre-configured FRST categories.

Thank you.

• 8 months later...