Scan gets stuck in heuristic analysis

Over the past few days I have been experiencing a problem with running scans using the Premium edition.  The scan will run and when it enters into the heuristic analysis phase it just keeps on going.  The scan will not cancel through the interface.  I have to use Task Manager to get it to end.

I have uninstalled (using the uninstall tool ) and reinstalled the program twice using  the instructions on the website.  The scan will work once or twice and then revert back to getting stuck in the heuristic analysis phase.

I would appreciate some help with resolving this.

• Root Admin

The logs show that Windows Search is corrupted. Please run the following fix

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/windows_search

After that then run a full disk check.

Click on START and type in CMD.EXE and when it shows on the menu right click and choose "Run as administrator"

Then type in the following.

CHKDSK  C:  /R

Then press the Y key when it says it can't lock the drive. Then restart the computer and let the disk check run.

Then run a new MBAM scan.

Please run a Threat Scan with MBAM.  If you're unable to run or complete the scan as shown below please see the following:  MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
When reinstalling the program please try the latest version.

Right click and choose "Run as administrator" to open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and from the Dashboard please Check for Updates by clicking the Update Now... link
Open up Malwarebytes > Settings > Detection and Protection > Enable Scan for rootkit and Under Non Malware Protection set both PUP and PUM to Treat detections as malware.
Click on the SCAN button and run a Threat Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking the Scan Now>> button.
Once completed please click on the History > Application Logs and find your scan log and open it and then click on the "copy to clipboard" button and post back the results on your next reply.

Thanks

I ran the Microsoft repair tool as instructed.  I also ran the full disk check.  The check (which took 4 + hours to complete) did find some issues which were repaired.

I then tried to run a Threat Scan.  Same problem as before - the scan hung up in the heuristics analysis and had to be terminated using task manager.

Before running the clean removal process and re-installing  MBAM, I ran sfc scannow to see if it would find any problems. No problems were noted.

I then used the MBAM Clean Removal Process and reinstalled the program in accordance with the instructions.

Attempted to run Threat Scan.  After scanning 309,000 objects in approximately 28 minutes the scan entered into Heuristics Analysis.  It stayed there for over 30 minutes (showing no additional objects scanned) before I terminated using task manager.

When MBAM is working properly it typically takes about 30 minutes to complete a scan. Should  I let the scan run for longer than an hour before terminating?

Please let me know how you would like me to proceed.

I ran the Emsisoft Emergency Kit and it did not find any problems.

I was able to run both a hyper scan and threat scan using the Chameleon tool.  Tried without Chameleon and was unable to run the scans .  Tried to run a threat scan again with Chameleon and shortly after starting received the following:

Error: Malwarebytes was unable to load the Anti-Rootkit Driver.  Error Code: 20026

I was unable to exit Chameleon and unable to open the Task Manager to close Chameleon.  I was able to restart the computer using restart.

Given I was able to run with Chameleon, is it possible I may have some malware that MBAM, my AV or Emsisoft is not picking up?

• Root Admin

Yes, unfortunately the Desk.com site (which we're using) is having network issues they're trying to resolve. Hopefully they'll get it resolved by tomorrow.

If not then we can look at a possible infection or something else that might be conflicting but don't want to spend time on things that might not have anything to do with your issue either and why I suggested the Help Desk.

Thank you