Suggestion: No Notifications for certain apps.

lewgreg93

I was using Skype and even so often I'll get a notification from MBAM that an IP was blocked. I did my research on this and I found out it is because Skype is P2P. These IP address are known for malicious purpose in the past or currently from what I gather. I don't want to disable notifications in general and I have looked at there is no feature that stop notifications in chosen apps/not show notifications.

I'd like to suggest, if it hasn't already that there could be a feature for this?

Thanks,

Lewis

Hi:

Understood.

That's why there's the option of excluding Skype, as explained in the links in that article. :)

Alternatively, if you would like to stop Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from blocking Skype entirely, you may follow the steps on this article: How do I stop Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from blocking a website or network program that I trust?

Add Process

Clicking the Add Process button allows you to exclude a process which would otherwise be blocked from accessing an Internet address. Please note that this option is only functional on Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows 7, Windows 8.x and Windows 10. This is typically of value to users who need to access filesharing and/or peer-to-peer applications. On occasion, IP addresses used by these applications may be blacklisted, so that Malwarebytes Website Protection blocks access to the website as a whole. Excluding the IP address makes the user more vulnerable, as would exclusion of the domain (if the website uses a domain name). Excluding the process — providing that the process is not an internet browser — would allow the P2P application to function without increasing risk.

Having said that, one needs to be a bit cautious about disabling IP blocks or creating exclusions with Skype, as explained here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/152949-malwarebytes-blocking-same-ips/#entry853945

Having said THAT, I don't use Skype.  So someone else more expert may have different advice.

And having said THAT, the devs have promised a bit more granular user control over IP block notifications with a future program version.

More info about v2.2.0 HERE
Version 2.2.0 Release History HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Cheers,

The main idea was to target the notification and adding the process or program to the exclusions list. It's a suggestion that I'd like to see in future builds, even if it's paid versions only. I mean, I'd definitely benefit from such features.

My logic would be, if MBAM misses a piece of Malware, then it will not tell you anyway and if it blocks it and you don't really need to know or simply don't care, then it would be a good idea to have a feature that gives this possibility.