Sign in to follow this  
mountaintree16

Internet won't work after shutting off modem

Usually we put our computer on standby instead of shutting it down. I feel that its safer to keep the internet off when not in use, so we turn it off when we are done with the computer. This hasn't been a problem except in the last few days... when I turn on the internet now, and then open up Firefox, the screen displays "Page Load Error" and won't work, even though the modem is on and running and the computer says we're connected.

Restarting the computer takes care of the problem, but I don't think that the computer should have to be restarted to fix the problem.

The page load thing that comes up is hosted/created by? AVG search. I don't know if there is an AVG conflict going on perhaps?

This is really annoying.

Any help would be appreciated :)

It's probably just your PC not reconnecting and getting an IP address assigned from your modem, thus failing to connect to the web. If you don't want to restart, try disabling your network connection and then reenabling it once more to see if that fixes it. To do so open the Network Connections folder through the Control Panel (if you need assistance on finding it just ask), then right click on your Network Connection (usually named something similar to "Local Area Connection") and select Disable. Once it is disabled right click it once more and select Enable.

Also, if that does work and you'd like a quicker method you can copy the following text into Notepad and when you go to save it click on Save as type and select All Files then name the file Reset Network.bat:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Just save the file in a convenient location like your desktop and when you have the problem, just double click it to run it :) .

Exile:

Wow thanks! :)

Yeah, our PC at work does the same thing sometimes, even though we always leave the connection on. The router we use is kinda goofy and does this often which is annoying since the program we use for work is purely web based. I created that same .bat file and have it on our desktop there so that when the problem occurs I just double click it and I'm back online within 10 seconds or so :) .

aw, that sucks.

Thanks again for this and I'll let you know how it goes!