Media Player Classic - Home Cinema being detected as ransom.filelocker

Yes, just now (2016-01-03 0648hrs NZT) MBAM Pro quarantined Ransom.FileLocker in file mpc-hc64.exe , on a personal laptop.

Since it's an old installation and hasn't been changed/updated recently (as far as I am aware), I wondered whether it might be a false positive.

I shall watch this thread for info.

Thanks.

Good I thought it was just me, been using K-lite codec pack for about 4 months now. This morning...filelocker. I couldn't read the whole path so I thought it might be a file using the same name that had installed somewhere...deleted the quarantine.... no more video play.... (autoplay prompt instead)

Afraid I'm not as grateful.  For whatever reason, after Malwarebytes flushed my MPC, I'm no longer able to choose it as a default player, despite re-installing it.  I can't manually SELECT it and have the choice persist.  I'm using Win7pro-64bit and have installed the latest version of MPC.  MWB no longer complains, but whatever trickery it did, has left me with a broken system.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Afraid I'm not as grateful.  For whatever reason, after Malwarebytes flushed my MPC, I'm no longer able to choose it as a default player, despite re-installing it.  I can't manually SELECT it and have the choice persist.  I'm using Win7pro-64bit and have installed the latest version of MPC.  MWB no longer complains, but whatever trickery it did, has left me with a broken system.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

That happens because the exe file is getting quarantined by Malwarebytes. If you go to settings and set the MPC-HC folder as an exemption and then move the mpc-hc.exe file from quarantine you should be rocking again.

If not reset the file associations from inside the elevated options menu in mpc-hc.

That happens because the exe file is getting quarantined by Malwarebytes. If you go to settings and set the MPC-HC folder as an exemption and then move the mpc-hc.exe file from quarantine you should be rocking again.

If not reset the file associations from inside the elevated options menu in mpc-hc.

Thanks for the response.  The .EXE isn't being quarentined.  I added the exception earlier today after seeing mention it was a known false positive- hence the reinstallation.  I've ran MPC, both normally and 'as adminstrator' and don't see any sort of 'elevated options menu'.  Care to elaborate on where I find this menu?