MBAM freezes laptop

Hello,

Began a thread in tensforum in regards to MBAM had begun to slow my wife,s laptop running at first 8.1 and now 10 Home. A member daledoc1 began to help and suggested I come over here for further investigation.

I run MBAM in purchased and free versions on all my computers. I am uncomfortable not using it on the laptop.

Reinstalled in preperation to troubleshoot and the computer booted to a  black screen with an active mouse. Finally managed to get in and remove paid version of MBAM, to ge the computer to function. I am running NIS 2015.

Certainly am in need of help!

Hello and :welcome: , @mark12:

Is this your thread at tenforums: http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/35745-malwarebytes-stops-computer.html?

If MBAM is not installed on the system in question at this time, it will be hard to troubleshoot what went wrong.

But let's start with some basic system information, please:

Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

>>Note: if MBAM is not installed on the computer at this time, we do not need the CheckResults.txt log from mbam-check at this time. But we do need to see both logs from FRST (FRST.txt and Addition.txt). 

>>Please ATTACH them to your next reply in this thread.

Thank you,

NIS 2015 blocks download of FRST as highly infected, backdoor.trojan.. I did run the mbam-chk.

Sorry, I missed your second post.

That detection by NIS is a false positive.

The tool is safe.

It is used 100s of times a day here and at other fora.

The author (@farbar) is a forum expert here.

Just temporarily pause NIS to get and run FRST.

Then re-enable NIS after you run FRST.

Then attach the 2 logs it produced to your next reply here in this thread.

Thanks,

Sorry, I missed your second post.

That detection by NIS is a false positive.

The tool is safe.

It is used 100s of times a day here and at other fora.

The author (@farbar) is a forum expert here.

Just temporarily pause NIS to get and run FRST.

Then re-enable NIS after you run FRST.

Then attach the 2 logs it produced to your next reply here in this thread.

Thanks,

Hey and thanks,

This time windows smartscreen told me not to run it. Knee jerk reaction is that it is not safe. Can we proceed without those logs?

Hi, again:

I understand your concern and it is healthy to be skeptical.

We would not ask you to do use a tool that is not safe.

As you can see here, there are nearly 60,000 views of this thread.
As you can see here and here and here FRST is run 100s of times a day.
The tool has been downloaded from the host site nearly 2 million times.
The tool's author, @farbar, is a forum expert here.

You just need to temporarily disable NIS and (if needed) the smart screen filter to allow the FRST download.
Then follow the steps in the link provided already.

I have been trying hard for several days now to assist you both at TF.com and here.
But each computer is unique, we are not in front of your computer and we don't have Xray vision.

So there is no possible way for us to even begin to determine why you have problems with the wife's laptop and MBAM. :(
The diagnostic tools will provide a smidgen of information to begin to sort it out.

So, all I can suggest if you cannot post the requested diagnostic logs is that you might wish to try one of the following:

• Either please follow carefully ALL of the steps >>here<<, and then follow the instructions at the bottom of this post to set mutual exclusions between NIS and MBAM; or
  • Please open a ticket for one-on-one email assistance from the Help Desk HERE (note: they will likely request the same logs); or
  • Please wait for someone else to assist you.

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding,
---------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it, as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Smart Screen Filter let me download, after I disabled NIS, but not run it. I ran SuperAntispyware and it deleted the program as malware. I appreciate your time now three AV protection devices have disallowed it. I will consider and decide on a course of action.

• Root Admin

Hello Mark

The tool FRST has been used hundreds of thousands of times and is a one of the very first go-to-tools for getting logs from a system. Please temporarily disable Norton and Screen Filter and download a new fresh copy and then close your browser and go run the tool as requested. Once the tool has run it will produce 2 logs. Please upload those logs as attachments when ready. Once the scan has completed then re-enable your antivirus.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please copy and paste it to your reply as well.