I have two virtual machines running Windows in VMware. (I'm actually a Mac user) I'm wondering if I need 2 licenses for the premium version or if 1 license covers my situation? (I'm assuming 1 license is for 1 computer?)

P.S. Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium really give me more protection in comparison with the free version and Kaspersky Total Security?

P.P.S. Isn't there a sale available for the holidays?

https://support.malwarebytes.org/customer/portal/articles/1835297-?b_id=6438

A 1-PC, subscription license (sold as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium)*** may be installed on one computer at any given time.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/144799-introducing-malwarebytes-anti-malware-20/

new subscription licenses will be valid for 3 PCs, not just 1.

Sorry, but I'm totally confused.

Your answers are on this page:

https://support.malwarebytes.org/customer/en/portal/articles/1835297-how-many-computers-may-i-install-malwarebytes-anti-malware-on-?b_id=6438

Your computer uses an operating system (obviously).  When you install a VM, that VM must also have an OS.  Therefore, a physical machine with MBAM requires a license as does a VM with MBAM.

The second issue you raised is because you quoted something from an old thread (when MBAM 2.0 was released).  A few months back, new subscriptions are for one PC *unless* you paid extra for a 3-PC subscription.  That old thread did not reference that change.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: OOPS! Sorry, @gonzo, I did not get a popup telling me you had already replied while I was posting...

P.S. Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium really give me more protection in comparison with the free version and Kaspersky Total Security?

MBAM Free does not provide real-time protection.  It is only a manual, on-demand scanner to remove malware that made it past your AV on to the system.
MBAM Premium provides complementary, layered, real-time protection alongside your AV, against certain types of zero-hour and zero-day threats missed by the AVs.  So, yes, it does add extra protection alongside KTS.

P.P.S. Isn't there a sale available for the holidays?

I don't know, as I don't work for Malwarebytes, but I don't see any sort of holiday sale on the official MBAM product page (the safest place to purchase a license).  However, there is a discount for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction, and there is a 2-year license option for the Home/Consumer version.

Yes, it can be confusing, as the Consumer licensing model has changed over the years.
TMALSS, Consumer/Home licenses sold now (since Sept 1, 2015) are subscription licenses for 1 PC at a time.
There are 1-year and 2-year subscription options, and there is a discount for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction.
(Existing, "legacy" licenses sold prior to March 2014 are 1-PC, lifetime licenses.  And licenses sold from March 2014 through August 2015 were subscription licenses for "up to 3 PCs" at a time. All of these EXISTING licenses are still valid and "grandfathered", but they are no longer available for new users.)

As for the VM question, that is a bit more complicated.
See here: How many computers may I install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on?
And see here: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/118884-virtual-machine-licencing/#entry618861 -- NOTE: this post was written when Consumer licenses were still "lifetime", so ignore the subsequent reply about lifetime licensing. 
ALSO: We will need to wait for a Malwarebytes staff member to confirm whether the same advice still applies.
Please be patient, as it is the Xmas holiday -- it may be a day or so before someone can respond.
EDIT: OOPS!  I didn't notice @gonzo responding while I was typing.  It looks as if the VM DOES need its own license.

Thank you,

Hi, @request:

Welcome. :)

Neither @gonzo nor I suggested that the existing license could not be used.
To the contrary. :)

Any valid MBAM Consumer license -- whether lifetime or subscription -- can be transferred to a different computer/OS in the same household.
This is explained here: How do I transfer my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware license to a different computer?

The critical point is that no license can be activated at one time on more computers than the number for which it is authorized (1 PC for the 1-PC license (lifetime or subscription) and "up to 3 PCs" for the "up to 3-PC subscription" type).

As @gonzo explained and as stated here* and here*, the OP needs to purchase a 2nd license for the 2nd system/OS.

If your computer has multiple operating systems, each operating system will be treated as a separate computer when activating your license. Depending on the number of systems you may activate your license on, you may need to purchase additional licenses to protect each operating system. For more information, please see this help article:

* If your computer has multiple operating systems, each operating system will count as a single computer.

Activating the same, 1-PC license on 2 different OS (host and guest or dual-boot) could lead to the license being blacklisted.
I merely pointed out that there is a discount for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction, in case the OP wanted to take advantage of that discount.

Cheers,

*I agree that the KB articles could be clearer about differentiating between dual-boot systems and VMs.  It sounds from the articles as if they treated the same, from a licensing standpoint. Perhaps @gonzo or another Malwarebytes staff member will be able to expand a bit on that.  Also: one cannot generalize from other software products to MBAM -- each software publisher institutes its own policies.

Hi daledoc1,

"...no license can be activated at one time on more computers than the number for which it is authorized,1 PC for the 1-PC license"

From what are you saying, seems to be very clear to me, The VM is ON THE SAME COMPUTER, so no need for a second license.

No, not quite.

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant, and I could have been clearer.

Nearly ALL of our licensing inquiries here in the forum relate to multiple physical machines, not VMs.

So, I ought to have been clearer.

However....

See here:

* If your computer has multiple operating systems, each operating system will count as a single computer.

And here:

If your computer has multiple operating systems, each operating system will be treated as a separate computer when activating your license. Depending on the number of systems you may activate your license on, you may need to purchase additional licenses to protect each operating system.

Having said all that, we appreciate your feedback and input.

However, this is @XeonSkylake's thread.

And, with all due respect, you are a forum newcomer who may be unfamiliar with the nuances of the evolving licensing policies over the years.

The KB articles and the reply from Malwarebytes Staff Member, @gonzo, state that the OP needs a 2nd license for the 2nd VM.

Unless or until @gonzo or another staff member responds with different information, then I would respectfully suggest that the OP follow that advice.

Thanks again,

Hi:

Another question: Sometimes I create clones of my VMs for testing purposes. (Which I usually delete after a few days at most) Am I going to run into issues with that? I mean Windows turns into a trial for example, does that also apply for MBAM?

I have no idea on that one.

We will need to wait for guidance from a staff member to parse that out.

Please try to be patient -- most of the Malwarebytes staff members will be spending the holiday with their families.

So, it may be a day or so before someone can respond with an authoritative, official response.

Thank you again for your patience and support,

• Root Admin

The license allows for installation and protection on up to 1 system. If you use it on VM that's fine but if you want to reuse I would recommend that you deactivate it before cloning. Leave your image snapshots in a state where the software is not activated. Then when done using the VM or if going to delete (been using VM now for a decade and don't see the reason for it but that's up to you) I would deactivate the product so it can be used again on another new VM without issue.

Thanks