Sign in to follow this  
mountaintree16

Extremely slow computer, mainly/especially at startup

K, good to know.

thanks for checking for me again :)

Ugh, installshield :) I blocked it permanently on my firewall a few months back because I didn't' know what it was. I hit block and it kept popping up and I hit block permanently still came up so I restarted after that and it hasn't popped up since. i dunno if it was a good idea to do that or not. I took a screen shot of it.

Oooh, look what I just found :) . It's on their own site, looks like I'm not the only one who's annoyed by this. They made a tool to properly remove it's startup entries. If you want give it a go, reboot, then run Autoruns again and post the new Autoruns.arn file for me.

Hey thanks for looking that up for me :)

Would it hurt to just wait until tomorrow or when I can get to it? Def. by Friday night I can.

Is it okay to remove this thing (installshield) from my computer? I know its not harmful. Apparently it updates software. I think it got on the computer when my husband downloaded/installed games on the computer several years ago now. RogueSpear, Black Thorn, etc...

And thank you again SO much for helping me with this! The computer booted up pretty quickly! My husband had better be happy :) haha. Firefox still took a little while to open but other than that things are much better. :):)

And, I'll try out the ideas for the internet issue tomorrow too. Can I just launch that notepad file instead of doing the disable/enable thing or do I need to do that too?

Yeah, you can wait until you have time, no big deal :)

It's fine to remove it and won't affect the software that installed it

FireFox could be loading slow due to a plugin or something, not sure, but we can take a look at that later as well if you'd like

Yes, you should be able to just double click the .bat file I had you create earlier in order to reset your internet connection if you have a connection issue. If you're trying to disable your connection and not reconnect yet, then it won't do that unfortunately, but you can just turn off your modem for that as you have been :) .

Okay, that's good :)

Okay, sweet :) Is program updates part of InstallShield do you know? I see that in the control panel and it looks similar (the icon).

Ah, I bet that's it. Sure! If you could help me with Firefox that would be fabulous.

Okay, thanks! Good to know :)

Good night and talk to you later!

Thanks again SO much. :)

@ Exile:

thank you :)

@ AdvancedSetup:

True that! I haven't actually added any myself, but I checked on them the other day and there's a bunch.

Mostly flash and stuff.

see attchd.

Edit: Did a new print screen of my add ons now that I have updated Adobe Flash and Reader.

@ Exile:

I"ll get to work on my Adobe updates, etc... (Edit: Thats done! three hours later here I am :). Everything seems fine. add/remove programs I have something called Adobe update Manager, should I keep this? Oh, now its not showing up in my add/remove. I got rid of adobe air and adobe.com. Couldn't find shockwave to add/remove, but I do see Macromedia Flash Player in my add/remove. It appears that the Adobe Flash comes from macromedia (saw that pathfile when I downloaded flash. Hmm should I uninstall the macromedia in my add/remove? I can screen shot it for you if that helps).

And finally buy MBAM Pro :) Edit: (CHECK! That's done)

Since that all needs to be done.

Hate to sit at the computer all afternoon on my day off, but, its gotta be done sometime and it won't do itself! I doubt it will take all afternoon anyway :)

And maybe get to the InstallShield, otherwise I can do that tomorrow.

Computer is still being much faster by the way! Was a little laggy loading (taskbar froze for a second, well not really froze but just hesitated) but yeah it seems fine. Things are loading well. AVG, the Internet, the sound, Pidgin since I am using it now, and NOW MBam Pro :) and the clock/calendar are the only things showing in the taskbar right now. Pidgin installed well, and is not hesitating or anything.

He hasn't used the computer yet since we fixed it, but I told him to sit at it next time he turns it on instead of doing something else while waiting (like we both used to do when turning it on). I also told him about how you helped me with the Internet issue. I made the file, but I haven't tried it yet. When I get off the computer later on, I am going to shut of the Internet, run an AVG scan (it takes 2-3 hours so I only do it once or twice or sometimes three times a week, usually on my day off and then leave it running in the morning when we aren't using the computer), and then check on it later on, turn on the Internet. If it doesn't work, I'll give the file its first workout! :)

Another edit: The computer seems to still be booting up fine. I restarted after registering MBAM and it still loaded up fine. Firefox hesitated a little still. Other than that, its all good! I think I'll actually want to use the computer more now perhaps. For two reasons: One, its faster. I have to admit I was also avoiding it because it was slow, haha. And the other reason, now that I have MBAM pro installed, I feel safer online :)

Looks like there's still an old Java entry in there so you should disable that one (6 Update 13) and the version of Shockwave Player is old so download the uninstaller here then download the latest version here. Also, Macromedia Flash Player would be an old version so uninstall it, it should show up as Adobe Flash Player as far as I know (unless something is different with the name of the FireFox version which is possible, perhaps another FF user can comment on this for us). Your QuickTime is also outdated so uninstall it, then get the latest version here. Just uncheck the 2 checkboxes and don't enter an email address on the download page as it isn't necessary. You can also update iTunes if it's out of date using it's internal updater.

@ Exile:

Thank you :)

So all I need to do in the Firefox browser is disable the update 13 of Java? It doesn't show up in the control panel add/remove anymore, just the FF add ons. I just disabled it.

Thank you for all of the links! I'll try to do them tomorrow otherwise as soon as I can. I have to get up early tomorrow morning otherwise I'd do them tonight.

Computer is still booting up pretty speedily! What takes the most time is before it logs onto the desktop; desktop loadup is pretty fast! I think it might take two minutes total. I didn't actually time it though. That used to be what took the longest if I remember correctly. I restarted a lot today (with all my uninstalling and updating and what not) and it seemed fine every time! One time I did get a .dll error message but it happened so fast I didn't catch the name. I'm hoping it just came from an uninstall. It didnt' happen again after that.

I like Pidgin by the way :) Keeping the other messengers for msn, aim, and yahoo for now, in case I want to change any settings that I am unable to change in Pidgin, then I'll probably get rid of them or just leave them anyway just in case I want them, heh. Only complaint is Firefox still lagging a little bit, but that doesn't bother me really. It might bother my husband though, lol.

I didn't' end up scanning with AVG, I'll do that tomorrow or asap.

Sounds good. If you aren't actively using the other messengers you can use Autoruns like I showed you before to disable them. You'll still be able to open them on-demand, but they won't start up in your tray. Once you get all your installing/uninstalling/updating done, a nice defrag would be a good idea because installs tend to create file fragmentation. It should increase your speed and boot time a bit. You can create the following commands as a .bat file as I showed you before with the one for your network adapter. Start it when you're not using the PC and let it run (it'll take a while). You'll know it's done when the command window disappears:

defrag %systemdrive% -f
defrag %systemdrive% /b

@ Exile

Okay, thanks, good to know!

So I should use the file you told me to create to defrag vs. the one that comes on the computer?

And maybe I missed it, but, what should I name this file, other than the end being .bat of course.

You can call it Full Defrag.bat. That would be a good name I think. This actually uses the built in defrag tool, it just calls it from the command line with certain options that can't be executed from the normal program interface.

Okay, thanks!

:)

Hopefully I can get to all of this tomorrow evening (and still squeeze in some relaxing time to take a breather from work), otherwise next time I have a chance. I actually spent my whole afternoon/night on the computer today :X oops. Oh well, I hadn't been on for very long in a long while, so its okay I guess :)

I'll keep you updated!

When I am all done with all of this, should I do another autoruns folder for you?

Sure, that way we can disable anything you don't need that most likely will be there after installing all those updates :) . I'm here all the time so don't worry about rushing to get this stuff done. You're computer's running fast and is secure and that's what matters :) .

Exile,

Okay, thank you!

:)

I'll talk to you later then! Almost time for me to get off the computer.