Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

GPU suddenly overheating, suspect infection

publius10

I have a gtx 570 which has been going fine until this week when it suddenly started overheating after i installed Tomb Raider (2013). It idles at 50-60 C and stays there when i'm for instance watching youtube videos, but as soon as i play any game the temperature skyrockets to 100 very quickly (<5 min) and then the pc crashes - screen goes black but M&K still responsive, meanwhile GPU fan goes on full blast.

I've since
-uninstalled Tomb Raider
-cleaned the fan/heatsink and reapplied thermal paste
-clean nvidia driver reinstall (multiple times and different versions, now on 359.00). note: before the first reinstall, it would heat up even while idle - start at 60 and just slowly climb to 90+. this more than anything is what makes me think it's a malware issue.
-win10x64 reinstall (kept programs and files)
-full scan with malwarebytes and symantec

i suspect very much that my tomb raider install was infected and is now using my gpu - i've seen similar threads on this forum about bitcoin miners. if i had access to a different pc i could put the gpu in there and compare, but i don't, so here i am.

Copy FRST to your Desktop. Since you have re-installed your Operating System, I doubt you have a persisting malware in your system. You also have traces of pirated copies of Adobe, AutoDesk, and other Software. Do note that this forum does not condone piracy and you are asked to remove any pirated software in your possesion should you wish to receive further assistance.

• Step #1 Fix with FRST

Make sure that you still have FRST.exe on your Desktop. If you do not have it, download the suitable version from here to your Desktop.

• Open Notepad.exe. Do not use any other text editor software;
    • Copy and Paste the contents inside the code-box to your Notepad --

StartCreateRestorePoint:CloseProcesses:EmptyTemp:RemoveProxy:Hosts:HKLM-x32\...\Run: [] => [X]HKU\S-1-5-21-1130752542-1579606312-1995749519-1001\...\Policies\Explorer: [] GroupPolicyScripts: Restriction <======= ATTENTIONC:\ProgramData\flashax10.exeTask: {0B29CF3A-4328-420B-871A-5F5ED5FDD890} - System32\Tasks\{00A33F16-97CE-471D-9304-B7D0E98691B1} => pcalua.exe -a "D:\Temp\AutoDesk 0 Products Key Generator - 32  64 Bit\AutoDesk Products Key Generator - 64 Bit.exe" -d "D:\Temp\AutoDesk 0 Products Key Generator - 32  64 Bit"D:\Temp\AutoDesk 0 Products Key Generator - 32  64 BitTask: {0B99FC29-CEEA-4575-B139-295AE5F7F785} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\MachineUnlock-5d -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {4984DCEF-22D4-45A6-BA99-9E57654232CA} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\OutOfIdle-5d -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {5ED0915E-200A-417D-9BBF-842BF5895B45} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {6775AB71-1FEF-4AE1-B961-747B8FC187FE} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\OutOfSleep-5d -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {6EBFB924-51A5-4630-9BE0-14DB914C0D50} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\refreshgwxconfig-B -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {7AEF2D29-E373-4FD0-8B4B-6C96B015D6EE} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\Telemetry-4xd -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {8C39E473-1759-4904-9E79-7BD459BBA97C} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\Logon-5d -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {ABCB7C73-9859-4756-9861-42458E54241A} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\launchtrayprocess -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {D2239AB0-B534-4C80-986E-6DD061EDBEAC} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfigandcontent -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {DA9A28B0-30CB-4204-8B76-9A72853D9392} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\GWXTriggers\Time-5d -> No File <==== ATTENTIONTask: {E893A34F-D357-482D-8111-A83409D9E0E0} - \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxcontent -> No File <==== ATTENTIONAlternateDataStreams: C:\ProgramData\TEMP:A1EDB939AlternateDataStreams: C:\Users\metelyk\Cookies:YMxXrPfEsne0HsFUYnjyCMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusersEnd
    • Click on File > Save as...
      • Inside the File Name box type fixlist.txt;
      • From the Save as type drop down list, choose All Files
    • Save the file to your Desktop;
    • Re-run FRST.exe and click Fix;
      • Note: If FRST advises there is a new updated version to be downloaded, do so/allow this.
    • After the completion, a log will be produced;
    • Copy and Paste the contents of the log in your next reply.

• Step #2 Fix with AdwCleaner
    • Download AdwCleaner by Xplode to your Desktop from the following link.
    • Right-click on AdwCleaner.exe and choose Run as administrator;
    • Click on Option and put a tick mark on everything;
    • Click on Scan and let the program run unhindered;
    • When done, click on Clean and allow the system to reboot after it is done;
    • A log will be opened automatically after the restart. If not, it is located in C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[CX].txt, where X is replaced with a number;
    • Copy and Paste the contents of this log in your reply.

• Required Log(s):
    • FRST Fix Log
    • AdwCleaner Log
Regards,

Valinorum

so i mentioned that before the first driver reinstall the gpu would just heat up to 90+ while idle - let me elaborate:

right now it idles at 50-60 and any gpu-intensive program (example) causes it to heat up to 100 and crash. this is not affected by a driver reinstall. however using this tool, which removes everything nvidia related and puts the pc into safe mode, followed by a clean reinstall, gives the other behavior, namely that the gpu heats up to 90+ while idle. upon rebooting back into normal mode, it returns to the first type (current). i don't know how to explain this other than malware.

re: pirated stuff, i got this pc a few years ago from my dad, so that's entirely possible - i haven't used either of the two programs you mentioned, in fact i don't even know what autodesk does.

AdwCleanerC1.txt

Fixlog.txt

• 6 months later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!