Recurring Trojan Horse GoogleDrivesync.exe under Windows10

Thanks.  I've been thinking back to the time when I got the virus to see if there is anything I installed or did that could have caused it.  

The only software I ran around that time was a McAfee "patch" to allow me to upgrade to Windows 10, as it was hanging with a white screen.  I found the patch on a Microsoft forum and it looked genuine and came from the real McAfee site, but I now think perhaps it wasn't, because the person posting it has been posting it many times on many different places.  That makes me suspicious.

The thing  I installed was from a forum here:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/get-windows-10-window-is-blank/17f4dbec-f6a5-460a-87fe-870c9354f80a?auth=1

I followed this post:

This is going to sound crazy but I fixed the problem on total accident.

Today I was installing a new version Autodesk Autocad 2016 and I was having an issue where the activating license was coming up blank. So I checked solutions online and found one that worked which was to use a McAfee uninstaller to removing anything that was left behind if you have previously used it.

So I ran the uninstaller, restarted my computer and lo and behold autocad 2016 works. I then opened up skype to talk to my friends and I noticed skype's home page was now working when it had not been before I ran the uninstaller, I then decided to check the windows 10 button again and now it works, its no longer a blank screen.

So, I don't know if this will work for everyone but try using the McAfee uninstaller found on herehttp://support.esri.com/cn/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/41057 just ingore the text and run the uninstaller and hopefully it works for everyone too.

That reply has been posted many times now, with identical text.

Do you think this could be the source of the problem?

• Root Admin

No I don't believe there is any connection. There have not been any new "viruses" for a couple years now. Almost everything these days are malware type threats as they try to squeeze money of out people.

You might try uninstalling ALL AVG antivirus and try another antivirus program. At least temporarily. I just don't trust that no other programs find anything but AVG does. Install another antivirus AFTER removing AVG and see if these "infections" return.

Let me know

• Root Admin

Well it could simply be the synch from Google that if it has a bad file on it then when it syncs it will put it back on the computer. It's not that it's compromised its works both ways. If you have a bad entry locally it copies to the server too.

Well if there is nothing else then we should be done here.

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!