I have not used any antivirus software for 10 years, but today I got hit

I haven't used any kind of antivirus software during all the years I have been using Win XP / 7. I have just used common sence and not opened executable files from unknown or shady sources. It has been working just fine. And no, I haven't been infected without my knowledge since I have been running MBAM and other malware scans maybe once a year and I have never had any stuff on my computer.

However yesterday I was browsing Netflix together with Hola (to get US IP for better movie supply). I fell asleep during the movie and when I woke up the next day my computer was still on and a new tab in my browser had opened which basically told me that all my files had been encrypted and I have to pay 500€ to get the private key in order to be able to decrypt the files: https://gyazo.com/1b349a3ad7763c48100918567b799d7f

The ONLY reason I can think this happened of is that Hola had some stupid popup or redirection to a website with malicious code that was automatically executed on my computer without my knowledge.

I am not crying rivers because of this because I did not have that much important files on my PC, but there are some files that I would like to have back, but I don't want them back enough to pay 500€ for them.

All files has a .ccc extension and they are encrypted. Is it possible to recover the files with some file recovery program like Recuva or does that only work for deleted files?

I did not have a Windows restore point so what I have done now is that I have saved the encrypted files on a HDD and formatted my C:\ drive and reinstalled Windows.

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

We're sorry. It looks like your topic was somehow overlooked. Due to the length of time we'll go ahead and close this topic now but if you still actually need help please send a private message to one of the Moderators and we'll assist you.Thank you and sorry we missed your topic.