Where are the PUPS coming from?

Last night I ran a full Malwarebytes scan after finishing using one of my laptops for the day. However, after the scan was completed I left my laptop on all night with no open browsers, just the icons and the desktop gadgets on the display screen.

Upon waking in the morning, I saw that my laptop had run its scheduled Malwarebytes full scan during the night and detected 56 PUPS.  With no browsers open between the time I manually ran the scan and Malwarebytes ran its scheduled scan, 56 PUPS found their way into my system. Where could they have come from with no browsers open?

Incidentally, I have two laptops with identical icons and identical desktop gadgets both running off of the same wifi. The other laptop also runs a scheduled Malwarebytes at about the same time as the laptop in question and was unaffected, finding no PUPS.

I would be interested in finding out from where the PUPS came. I have attached a screenshot of my display screen with icons and desktop gadgets in hopes it will be of assistance.

post-194651-0-98622100-1446137997_thumb.

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

We are not permitted to review scan logs or work on possible malware-related issues here in this section of the forum.

We are not permitted to work on possible malware-related issues here in this section of the forum.

Such work is conducted in a special forum area reserved for that purpose, or at the help desk.

Being that you are probably infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

@mbae

Firefox is following forum policy end of story. As soon as the OP said any thing about PUP's found our hands are tied

Is a general question, and no logs will allow you to figure out "from where the PUPS came"

Logs to those who are trained CAN give that info. The OP posted a screenshot of the desktop which tells nothing except he/she is a Giants fan.

Now new detection's are add several times a day and it might have been added for an item that was already on the computer for a long time and is now detected between scans to help answer your question.

I think it's a bit naive to think that when your browsers are closed down you can't get any pups or other infections in

And when your WIFI is on you're stil  in contact with "the outside world"  in my opinion