I"m running Windows 7 - Downloads today

yardbird

I have the same offerings on two machines. Clicked the 'more information' link and the descriptions there don't indicate any W10 relationship. 

I've seen nothing on the net regarding same and, so far, no widespread problems with the updates. 

Some of these security updates are labeled as critical by MSFT --  https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-109-- highly exploitable but with no known exploits -- https://isc.sans.edu/ (scroll down to Tuesday report).

Looks to be valuable patches to apply after whatever your usual 'wait and see' time is.

• Staff

Just do a web search of the KB###### string and you'll quickly discover if any are related to the Windows 10/telemetry fiasco. I've been doing that with all updates that don't provide detailed info recently and so far it seems to be working. The Windows 10 related updates are usually either Windows Update client patches (generally with something in the support article's description about 'upgrading to the latest version of Windows') or the mysterious 'compatibility updates' (more often than not the latter). Of course that does not mean that you should not install any such updates, just that you should scrutinize them first with a quick web search to see if anyone is indicating a connection between the update/KB# and the recent Windows 10/telemetry stuff.

Just do a web search of the KB###### string and you'll quickly discover if any are related to the Windows 10/telemetry fiasco. I've been doing that with all updates that don't provide detailed info recently and so far it seems to be working. The Windows 10 related updates are usually either Windows Update client patches (generally with something in the support article's description about 'upgrading to the latest version of Windows') or the mysterious 'compatibility updates' (more often than not the latter). Of course that does not mean that you should not install any such updates, just that you should scrutinize them first with a quick web search to see if anyone is indicating a connection between the update/KB# and the recent Windows 10/telemetry stuff.

Thanks for the replies!   Good to see you Sam !  

• 2 weeks later...