CD/DVD Drive Not Working Properly

fireman5214

Hello all, I have a Windows 7 Professional Dell Inspiron N7010 laptop and for some reason it will not play dvd's or music cd's but it will play game cds. When I go into My Computer it says the device is working properly but has under properties Used and Free Space at 0 bytes as well as capacity. The Type is CD Drive and File System is marked unknown. Is there anyone who might know any answers on fixing this issue? If not could you steer me in the right direction? I would provide more info if requested and/or where to find that info requested. Thanks

Hi:

A few things:

1. Have you verified that these DVDs and music CDs play in another computer or DVD player?
  2. Is the laptop under warranty?
  3. Have you tried the Dell Online Diagnostics or the F12 Dell Hardware diagnostics?
  4. Have you checked for driver updates at the Dell Drivers page, using your Dell Service Tag or Express Service Code number?
  5. What do you see when you expand the device and click properties in the Windows device manager (see scree shot for an example)?
  6. Additional data/diagnostics may be needed by our more expert forum folks, but for starters, please attach to your next reply here BOTH the FRST.txt and Addition.txt logs from FRST (log set #1) from this pinned topic: Diagnostic Logs

Then we will wait for someone more adept at hardware issues....

Thanks,

post-29793-0-09301100-1444783758_thumb.j

1. yes I have verified
2. no it is not
3. I have not tried either, I did not know about F12
4. I wasn't sure if I should, so I came here for an idea from people with better knowledge
5. Image attached
6. Attached below

post-109062-0-38316700-1444789419_thumb.CheckResults.txt

Thanks for the info.

The log you posted is actually a CheckResults.txt log from mbam-check (log set #2).

What we need to see are the FRST.txt and Addition.txt logs from FRST (log set #1) from Diagnostic Logs

If you could please attach those logs to your next reply, that would be helpful.

In the interim, while we wait for more expert help, the info provided showed a VERY old driver for that CD drive (2006).

I presume that this is an older laptop and there may not be a newer driver, but you might want to check at the Dell site, as mentioned.

You might also want to try the online diagnostics or the built-in Dell hardward diagnostics via F12.

For the latter, shut down the laptop.

Press the "on" button and then gently tap the F12 key -- that should bring you to the "outside Windows" hardware diagnostics.

Thank you,

Ooops my bad, I saw them both and for some reason I clicked the wrong one. I guess it didn't really hurt the computer to run that extra scan. The laptop was bought in March 2011. I have to get some work done but I was able to run the scan and I have the logs posted below. I will do the dell driver check and online diagnostics later.

Addition.txtFRST.txt
Do I just go to the device manager and click update driver like on the screenshot I took shown below?

There are many ways to update the driver -- either as you mentioned, or (probably better) via the Dell Drivers page, as previously suggested.

That way, you will get drivers from Dell that Dell has tested to run on Dell systems.

Or just wait for help to see if it's best to do the F12 hardware test first (which could not hurt).

If the hardware is failing, then drivers won't help.

Thank you,

As already suggested, you need to do the following.

Not really required, but put a CD/DVD in the drive (so it can be tested during the F12 Dell Diagnostics) Reboot the computer and hit F12 repeatedly until you get the menu and then choose Dell Diagnostics and give us any errors that may come back.

The link for Dell Support to get the latest drivers, is http://support.dell.com then enter your service tag to get the latest drivers. From that site, then once the computer is found click on Drivers & Downloads. Then either click on System Analysis so it will check your computer for the drivers that need updating or you can manually look for the driver you want to update.

Here is the online Dell Diagnostics test results... I am going to do in a matter of signing off here from this post.

post-109062-0-55606200-1444852957_thumb.

post-109062-0-11990300-1444852975_thumb.

post-109062-0-72099900-1444852975_thumb.

post-109062-0-49838500-1444852976_thumb.

We'll need to wait for @Firefox to review the results, but the hardware tests look favorable. :)

I guess the next step would be to check for updated drivers for that optical drive.

Here is the direct link: Dell Drivers page, using your Dell Service Tag or Express Service Code number.

Or you can get there this way: The link for Dell Support to get the latest drivers, is http://support.dell.com then enter your service tag to get the latest drivers. From that site, then once the computer is found click on Drivers & Downloads. Then either click on System Analysis so it will check your computer for the drivers that need updating or you can manually look for the driver you want to update.

Thank you,

Yeah daledoc, I will wait for firefox as well. Below is what was issued through the F12 diagnostics....

All tests passed in the first 10 minutes. Then this question came up: "No problems found with this system so far. Do you want to run the remaining memory tests? This will take 30 minutes or more. (Recommended) I pressed Y for YES

Then it ran the rest of the test and this came up:
Pre-boot system assessment complete. Please select Ok to reboot your system. (I had to press O for OK) Before I did that I saw everything Passed and even at the bottom (last thing) it said:
4 CPU's Test Results: PASS

Hope this helps you both. I am also thinking I need to try and update the driver but will wait for your answers. Thanks for the fast replies so far, it's much appreciated.
Oh also, I did have a DVD in the drive.

just curious ...

wasn't there an *issue* with IOLO and "system mechanic" >

also ... i have had optical drives that would play dvds but would fail burning a cd (plus other sundry issues) ...

checked the firmware update and software ... no go .

the fix was to replace the optical drive ... 25 bucks and it was a done deal .

Ok I think I downloaded them but I am not 100% sure. It asked me if I should create these folders for them to go into and I clicked yes but how do I unzip them and DL them correctly? I am a bit confused. I put 15 in the download list and those are what are in the special folder I made for them. There are more updates available but not sure if I needed them. I screenshotted the ones I downloaded and also the system analysis that recommended me to update those drivers.

post-109062-0-05744100-1444938577_thumb.

post-109062-0-34391400-1444938579_thumb.

post-109062-0-67951500-1444938577_thumb.

post-109062-0-37184100-1444938578_thumb.

post-109062-0-74823400-1444938578_thumb.

Is this Dell Laptop by any chance under warranty from Dell?

The files you download, you just run them and they unzip to a folder on the C: Drive usually C:\dell\Drivers and a folder that matches the filename.  If the installer does not start automatically, then you go to that folder and run the setup.exe file and it will go from there.

The only catch is the BIOS file.  On that one you have to right click on it and choose run as administrator.  Follow the prompts and it will reboot the laptop and update the BIOS and a few other items and reboot.  It will require the laptop have a power cord plugged in as well as a charged battery.

Is this Dell Laptop by any chance under warranty from Dell?

I don't think so: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/173968-cddvd-drive-not-working-properly/#entry995357

@fireman5214:

I would definitely follow @Firefox's expert advice.

There are a LOT of drivers on that list.

You might want to focus on the problem at hand (the optical drive) for starters.

It's probably best NOT to update all of the drivers at the same time.

I would do one or two and then monitor the computer's behavior for a day or so.

If you update all of them at once, it could lead to some stability issues.

>>As @Firefox mentioned: Please be sure that the laptop is plugged into AC power when/if you do the BIOS update.  And be sure to follow the prompts and instructions.  "Flashing" a BIOS is not as risky as it was in the old days, but  there's still a chance it can still leave you with a paperweight, if it goes wrong.

>>Even if the system is out of warranty, it might be worth the cost of a per-incident charge at Dell Premium phone support.  Their quality has varied a bit over the years, but I had a very favorable experience with them recently.  They can walk you through the BIOS update and the many driver updates.

<just my $0.02, as a regular home user, not a geek>

• Root Admin

My own personal opinion is everyone is barking up the wrong tree. The drive is working and has nothing to do with audio playback capabilities that is controlled by your sound hardware. There is passthrough but games would not play either if that was the case where it could not pass it along. I would look at settings in the sound card and/or if needed do a full reinstall of the sound software and see if that works. More than likely there is some obscure setting that is checked or unchecked somewhere is my wild guess.

My own personal opinion is everyone is barking up the wrong tree. The drive is working and has nothing to do with audio playback capabilities that is controlled by your sound hardware. There is passthrough but games would not play either if that was the case where it could not pass it along. I would look at settings in the sound card and/or if needed do a full reinstall of the sound software and see if that works. More than likely there is some obscure setting that is checked or unchecked somewhere is my wild guess.

:blush: OOPS. :blush:

Well, I suppose it might not hurt to update those 10-year old drivers?

OTOH, I presume the answer to that is: if it's ain't broke, don't fix it.

{{Crawls back under rock}}

• Root Admin

No, in theory one should not have to update drivers. As you said. If it works then leave it alone. Typically only needs updating if an updated driver fixes either a security issue or some problem you're experiencing. If it's not a security update and you're not experiencing any issues related to what the driver update is for then why update? In this case the user says the disk plays games but does not play music. I'm guessing that either a setting or association for playing music is broken. Often an audio installation driver package can fix some things related to that. It could simply just mean that the associations to play music are wrong or something like that. Without having the computer physically in your hands to check things it certainly makes it very difficult to try to track down the real issue.

Sorry we had a family emergency this weekend, I will try out what you guys have said about not doing the driver updates. I will do that tomorrow, sorry for the late reply.

Ok well I went through some stuff under the device manager with my dad ( he knows some computer stuff and we were looking for any exclamation marks or question marks to stand out but there was nothing. I could not get 1 game to play and the error (image posted below) shows that. I put in Emergency 2012 and that game worked except for calling the units from the station to the scenes. But the rest of the game works. I don't know if this would help in red flags that could be causing issues.

post-109062-0-86678300-1445475634_thumb.

• Root Admin

Well I don't recommend this one too often but in theory if it's just a setting then it should hopefully be able to fix it.

Download Portable Windows Repair (all in one) from one of the following:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Tweaking.com_-_Windows_Repair_Portable_d7222.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one-portable/

Unzip the contents into a newly created folder on your desktop.

Open the folder, run the tool by right click on Repair_Windows (icon with red briefcase) select "Run as Administrator"

tweak1.jpg

From the main GUI do the following:

Select Tab 5 and Create System Restore Point

tweak4.jpg

Select Start Repairs tab => Click the Start

tweak5.jpg

The repairs window will open, Check the boxes as indicated, also the "Restart" option, then select Start...

tweak6.jpg

DON'T use the computer while each scan is in progress.

Post the log, to access select "settings" tab > "open log folder" tab, log will be named _Windows_Repair_Log

tweak7.jpg

Let me see that log, any improvement?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I don't recommend this one too often but in theory if it's just a setting then it should hopefully be able to fix it.

Download Portable Windows Repair (all in one) from one of the following:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Tweaking.com_-_Windows_Repair_Portable_d7222.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one-portable/

Unzip the contents into a newly created folder on your desktop.

Open the folder, run the tool by right click on Repair_Windows (icon with red briefcase) select "Run as Administrator"

tweak1.jpg

From the main GUI do the following:

Select Tab 5 and Create System Restore Point

tweak4.jpg

Select Start Repairs tab => Click the Start

tweak5.jpg

The repairs window will open, Check the boxes as indicated, also the "Restart" option, then select Start...

tweak6.jpg

DON'T use the computer while each scan is in progress.

Post the log, to access select "settings" tab > "open log folder" tab, log will be named _Windows_Repair_Log

tweak7.jpg

Let me see that log, any improvement?

Do you want me to post all the logs? (see image) I posted the one that was highlighted. Don't know if that was the one you wanted or not. 

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.6.1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Variables

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS Architecture: 64-bit

OS Version: 6.1.7601

OS Service Pack: Service Pack 1

Computer Name: JASON-PC

Windows Drive: C:\

Windows Path: C:\Windows

Program Files: C:\Program Files

Program Files (x86): C:\Program Files (x86)

Current Profile: C:\Users\Jason

Current Profile SID: S-1-5-21-3223599084-419352820-2031559519-1000

Current Profile Classes: S-1-5-21-3223599084-419352820-2031559519-1000_Classes

Profiles Location: C:\Users

Profiles Location 2: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles

Local Settings AppData: C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Local

System Information

System Up Time: 09 Days 05:32:04

Process Count: 81

Commit Total: 3.48 GB

Commit Limit: 7.60 GB

Commit Peak: 6.20 GB

Handle Count: 29715

Kernel Total: 753.80 MB

Kernel Paged: 638.05 MB

Kernel Non Paged: 115.75 MB

System Cache: 1.50 GB

Thread Count: 1038

Memory Before Cleaning with CleanMem

Memory Total: 3.80 GB

Memory Used: 2.12 GB(55.7678%)

Memory Avail.: 1.68 GB

Cleaning Memory Before Starting Repairs...

Memory After Cleaning with CleanMem

Memory Total: 3.80 GB

Memory Used: 1.73 GB(45.4237%)

Memory Avail.: 2.07 GB

Starting Repairs...

Started at (11/5/2015 2:24:22 PM)

Setting Any Missing 'InstallDate' From Uninstall Sections Before Running Repair...

Total Missing 'InstallDate' Fixed: 194

01 - Reset Registry Permissions

Restore Windows 7/8/10 Default Registry Permissions

Start (11/5/2015 2:24:27 PM)

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\hku.7z

Done,  0.22 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\hklm.7z

Done,  2.71 seconds.

Running Repair Under System Account

Done (11/5/2015 2:30:22 PM)

02 - Reset File Permissions: C:

C: & Sub Folders

Start (11/5/2015 2:30:22 PM)

Running Repair Under Current User Account

Done (11/5/2015 3:00:47 PM)

02 - Reset File Permissions

Restore Windows 7/8/10 Default File Permissions

Start (11/5/2015 3:00:49 PM)

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\default.7z

Done,  0.79 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\profile.7z

Done,  0.19 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\program_files.7z

Done,  0.22 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\program_files_x86.7z

Done,  0.22 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\programdata.7z

Done,  0.47 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\windows.7z

Done,  4.21 seconds.

Done (11/5/2015 3:09:48 PM)

02 - Reset File Permissions: Cleanup

Repairing Restricted Folders Permissions To Avoid Infinite Loops

Start (11/5/2015 3:09:51 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:09:53 PM)

03 - Reset Service Permissions

Start (11/5/2015 3:09:53 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:10:18 PM)

04 - Register System Files

Start (11/5/2015 3:10:18 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:11:26 PM)

05 - Repair WMI

Start (11/5/2015 3:11:26 PM)

Starting Security Center So We Can Export The Security Info.

Exporting Antivirus Info...

Microsoft Security Essentials Exported.

Exporting AntiSpyware Info...

Microsoft Security Essentials Exported.

Windows Defender Exported.

Exporting 3rd Party Firewall Info...

No Firewall Products Reported.

Done (11/5/2015 3:14:56 PM)

06 - Repair Windows Firewall

Start (11/5/2015 3:14:56 PM)

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\services.7z

Done,  0.31 seconds.

Done (11/5/2015 3:15:29 PM)

07 - Repair Internet Explorer

Start (11/5/2015 3:15:29 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:17:04 PM)

08 - Repair MDAC/MS Jet

Start (11/5/2015 3:17:04 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:17:15 PM)

09 - Repair Hosts File

Start (11/5/2015 3:17:15 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:17:16 PM)

10 - Remove Policies Set By Infections

Start (11/5/2015 3:17:16 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:17:21 PM)

11 - Repair Start Menu Icons Removed By Infections

Start (11/5/2015 3:17:21 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:17:24 PM)

12 - Repair Icons

Start (11/5/2015 3:17:24 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:17:27 PM)

13 - Repair Network

Start (11/5/2015 3:17:27 PM)

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\unzipped tweaking\Tweaking.com - Windows Repair\files\permissions\7\services.7z

Done,  0.17 seconds.

Done (11/5/2015 3:18:01 PM)

14 - Remove Temp Files

Start (11/5/2015 3:18:01 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:18:03 PM)

15 - Repair Proxy Settings

Start (11/5/2015 3:18:03 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:18:05 PM)

17 - Repair Windows Updates

Start (11/5/2015 3:18:05 PM)

Done,  0.17 seconds.

Setting Windows Updates Files That Are In Use To Be Removed At Next Boot.

Done (11/5/2015 3:18:54 PM)

18 - Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working

Start (11/5/2015 3:18:54 PM)

iTunes not found, not applying UpperFilters iTunes Reg Key

Done (11/5/2015 3:18:54 PM)

19 - Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service

Start (11/5/2015 3:18:54 PM)

Done,  0.17 seconds.

Done (11/5/2015 3:19:25 PM)

21 - Repair MSI (Windows Installer)

Start (11/5/2015 3:19:25 PM)

Done,  0.19 seconds.

Done (11/5/2015 3:19:51 PM)

23.01 - Repair bat Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:19:51 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:19:57 PM)

23.02 - Repair cmd Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:19:57 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:19:59 PM)

23.03 - Repair com Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:19:59 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:01 PM)

23.04 - Repair Directory Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:01 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:03 PM)

23.05 - Repair Drive Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:04 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:06 PM)

23.06 - Repair exe Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:06 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:08 PM)

23.07 - Repair Folder Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:08 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:11 PM)

23.08 - Repair inf Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:11 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:13 PM)

23.09 - Repair lnk (Shortcuts) Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:13 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:15 PM)

23.10 - Repair msc Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:15 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:18 PM)

23.11 - Repair reg Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:18 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:20 PM)

23.12 - Repair scr Association

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:20 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:22 PM)

24 - Repair Windows Safe Mode

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:22 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:25 PM)

25 - Repair Print Spooler

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:25 PM)

Done,  0.17 seconds.

Done (11/5/2015 3:20:49 PM)

26 - Restore Important Windows Services

Start (11/5/2015 3:20:49 PM)

Done,  0.19 seconds.

Done (11/5/2015 3:21:04 PM)

27 - Set Windows Services To Default Startup

Start (11/5/2015 3:21:04 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:21:10 PM)

31 - Repair Windows 'New' Submenu

Start (11/5/2015 3:21:10 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:21:13 PM)

32 - Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings

Start (11/5/2015 3:21:13 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:21:15 PM)

33 - Repair Performance Counters

Start (11/5/2015 3:21:15 PM)

Done (11/5/2015 3:21:41 PM)

Cleaning up empty logs...

All Selected Repairs Done.

Done at (11/5/2015 3:21:41 PM)

Total Repair Time: 00:57:21

post-109062-0-00056700-1447462386_thumb.