Manual update file available somewhere?

I help an elderly friend with her computer stuff, and because she has a son living with her who is, shall we say, not as careful in his browsing as he could be, it gets infected by nasties from time to time. I installed MWB on the machine somewhile ago for this very reason, and told her to run it at least every week if not daily. Apparently the machine still got infected between one of her scans/updates.

Right now she has a beastie that I know MWB fixes but she says it's not letting her get anywhere on her machine. Well, I'm going over there Sunday to see what I can do, but if it's true, I may not be able to get MWB autoupdated in case this is a new beastie not handled by whatever updates she has run. I plan to boot it in safe mode first, and try then, but if that fails, I'd like to have a way to manually update MWB from a signatures file I'd bring with me on my flash drive. Assuming THAT works too ;)

Problem is that I'm not seeing anywhere that I can grab the latest and greatest update file--is that available somewhere? It's an older XP machine.

TIA

elaine

charlottesville, va

• Staff

Welcome to the forums.

You can attack this a few different ways.

To install our software onto an infected machine which cannot access the Internet, copy the following file from a currently updated version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware off another machine which has it installed and the copy it to the target machine which will then have the latest definitions:

XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref<<<copy this file

Vista:

C:\Users\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

You can download our software via the link below to either a USB stick or CD, rename it, then transfer it to the infected machine to the file path of your operating system as listed below. You'll also have to download a database file from the second link:

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (downloads do not differ, registration with your ID & key activate the Pro features-this link generates any number of our 'official' download sites, not just malwarebytes.org):

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

Pay close attention to the actual download link. Many download sites have big giant sponsored ads from other vendors of other types of software which may confuse you. That's how they make money, by placing these ads prominently so you see them first.

Install instructions below:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...ost&p=33702

XP install path:

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Vista install path:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Update link(this will not be the most current definitions, but will get you started):

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

***Keep in mind, our software must be installed on the target machine, it will not scan off a USB stick or other media. The design of the software forces drivers to be installed to assist in detection and removal.***

***Keep in mind, our software must be installed on the target machine, it will not scan off a USB stick or other media. The design of the software forces drivers to be installed to assist in detection and removal.***

I'd already installed on her machine, that's not a problem. I'll be sure to grab the rules files from my own install.

THANKS!

elaine

Can I just with you, TeMerc, that the above does not apply to the technician's version if it's installed on a cd or usb key?

If I need some help with my tech licensed version which contact point should I use? I ask because I haven't received a response to an email I sent to corporate@malwarebytes.org about some general tech version matters on the 10th June. I apreciate this may well display my total impatience with myself...and life in general!!

Can I just with you, TeMerc, that the above does not apply to the technician's version if it's installed on a cd or usb key?

In my particular situation both installs are on the PCs in question, my own and my friend's, not on CD or USB drive. The latter will simply have the .ref file so I can copy it to hers. My *hope* is that she was able to keep her install reasonably updated before it got infected, but my *guess* is that my .ref file should still work on hers since it hasn't been all THAT long since I originally put it on her machine, so at least the versions of the product should be pretty much the same. We shall see in any event :)

elaine

• Staff

If I need some help with my tech licensed version which contact point should I use? I ask because I haven't received a response to an email I sent to corporate@malwarebytes.org about some general tech version matters on the 10th June. I apreciate this may well display my total impatience with myself...and life in general!!

I don't use the technicians version nor am I familiar with it's options.

Maybe one of the other team members can clarify this.

• Root Admin

Hello Marcus.

Strictly speaking you can't "install" the product on to a CD or USB Key. You can copy the installer and and updated rules.ref file if that's what you mean. Nothing wrong with that.

If you do need support and you have a valid Technician's License then you can send an email to corporate@malwarebytes.org

I have not seen an email from you that I'm aware of. I have emailed a couple users with the name Marcus though, and I don't recall a PM either.

Thank you.

Hello Marcus.

Strictly speaking you can't "install" the product on to a CD or USB Key. You can copy the installer and and updated rules.ref file if that's what you mean. Nothing wrong with that.

If you do need support and you have a valid Technician's License then you can send an email to corporate@malwarebytes.org

I have not seen an email from you that I'm aware of. I have emailed a couple users with the name Marcus though, and I don't recall a PM either.

Thank you.

Hello AdvancedSetup,

i've just resent ny original email (to crporate@malwarebytes.org)-nothing too technical; just a few general

questions. I didn't PM you as my queries were/are not that urgent, and I'm a believer in reading through the information available in tese forums first as provided without asking about things which've been asked about and answered before so many times before. Thanks for responding here though. Always appreciated