Failed to Identify Malicious Outgoing Traffic to Website 92.242.140.21

About three weeks ago Malwarebytes started to block malicious outgoing traffic to 92.242.140.21.  Sometimes Malwarebytes would block several outgoing traffic attempts in a row and then stop, just to have more outgoing traffic start up again several minutes later. I scanned for malware, but the scan came up empty. 

I tried a different malware scanner program called SpyHunter and it found a hand full of malware infections that Malwarebytes didn't identify (sorry, I didn't make note of the malware). Some of those malware infections were ranked by SpyHunter as high. To clean the infections, however, I had to buy the program for $40. Outch! 

After cleaning the computer with SpyHunter, the malicious outgoing traffic has stopped. All is now well.

Has anybody else seen this problem?

. . . JBrush

Hello and :welcome: :

First: see if this recent pinned topic applies to your situation -- READ ME: Seeing 92.242.140.21 blocks? Read me please
Most, but not all, affected users are either using Avast, or are on Verizon FiOS, or both.

Next: for the record, Spyhunter is not a highly regarded application (there are some rogue/impostor versions out there). If you are being prompted to pay for cleanup, then it sounds like you have one of the rogue/scareware versions.

If the fix (changing DNS settings) in that pinned topic doesn't explain or resolve your issue, it might be advisable to get a bit of free, expert help checking for malware.
That work is performed in a special forum area reserved for that purpose, or at the help desk.
So, for expert assistance, I suggest that you might want to please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks,

Daledoc1,

SpyHunter is not and never claimed to be freeware. And I doubt I was scammed by some rogue/impostor version. The bottom line is that a scan by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (which isn't free) did not identify, much less clean the infection, while SpyHunter did. I guess that was my point in the original post. Malwarebytes has served me well over the years protecting my computer from malicious websites, but in this rare occasion it let me down. 

. . . JBrush

Hello:

The Malwarebytes Research Team works 24/7/365 to stay abreast of zero-hour and zero-day threats.
Alas, however, no one security product can possibly protect against 100% of all known malware.
This is explained here: The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware

It's impossible to say what was going on with your system without a bit more detail. :(

The Malwarebytes Research Team would probably be very interested to know about the detections that you report may have been missed by MBAM but that were detected by another program.
To that end, it would help if you could please post (as attachments) the SCAN logs for BOTH MBAM and Spyhunter.
(Even better would be a malware sample, uploaded to the Research Center HERE after following the advice HERE. :) )

Instructions for posting the MBAM SCAN logs are below.

Thank you,
--------------------------

How to get SCAN logs or PROTECTION logs:
(Export log to save as a txt file for posting in the forum when requested)

• Open MBAM.
  • Click on the HISTORY tab > APPLICATION LOGS.
  • Double-click on the SCAN LOG which shows the date and time of the scan just performed (or the one you are asked to post), OR on the PROTECTION LOG showing the detection you are reporting (or the one that you are asked to post).
  • Click EXPORT.
  • Click TEXT FILE (*.txt)
  • In the "Save File" dialog box which appears, click on DESKTOP.
  • In the FILE NAME box, type a name for your saved scan or protection log.
  • A message box named "File Saved" should appear, stating that "Your file has been successfully exported".
  • Click OK.
  • Please attach the saved log to your next reply here in this thread.