Auto Update & Manual Update Will Not Work

• Root Admin

STEP 01

Please visit this webpage for instructions for downloading ComboFix to your
DESKTOP
:
how-to-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.

NOTE!!:

You must save and run
ComboFix.exe
on your DESKTOP and not from any other folder.

Also,
DO NOT
click the mouse or launch any other applications while this is running or it may stall the program

Additional links to download the tool:

Note:

The
Windows Recovery Console
will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

Please continue as follows:
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
  • Click
    Yes
    to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

• When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

• Please post the
    C:\ComboFix.txt
    along with a
    new HijackThis log
    so we may continue cleaning the system.

STEP 02

Please create a BOOTLOG
  • Delete the following file if it exists. C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt
  • Restart the computer and press F8 when Windows start booting. This will bring up the startup options.
  • Select "Enable Boot Logging" option and press enter.
  • Windows prompts you to select a Windows Installation (even if there is only one windows installation)
  • This boots windows normally and creates a boot log named ntbtlog.txt and saves it to C:\Windows

Sorry I haven't been on my computer for a couple days due to a personal matter.

Ok heres all the logs except for RootRepeal because no matter how I tried to download it, even when I tried from another computer it's files are corrupted and won't run. It always finishes at 423 kb instead of it's 430 kb size. It is beta afterall maybe that's why?

Anywho here ya go:

combofix_log.txt

bootlog.txt

hijackthis_log.txt

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

combofix_log.txt

bootlog.txt

hijackthis_log.txt

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

• Root Admin

The system appears to be clean from Malware according to the logs

STEP 01

Please fully DISABLE the following products temporarily while we look at fixing this.

a-squared HiJackFree 3.1

Advanced SystemCare 3

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009

STEP 02

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
  2. Restart your computer (very important).
  3. Download and run this utility.
  4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
  5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here
  6. Launch the program and go to the UPDATE tab and update the definitions.
    Note: If you're using a PAID version of Malwareybtes, you will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via e-mail.

BEFORE

registering and starting the Protection Module, locate the Exclusion List for your Anti-Virus. Probably under an advanced menu in the program.

Add the following files to the exclusion to be safe.

You may have to also add
mbam.exe
to your Firewall rules to allow updates.
  • C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

If you need assistance with setting up exclusions for Kaspersky, this post should have information on that.

Setting up Kaspersky Internet Security 2009

STEP 03

Please re-enable your other programs now that you disabled and reboot the computer and let me know if you're still having problems with MBAM.

Well I followed all the steps to a T and reinstalled mbam 1.37 and I'm still getting the same exact update error problem. Just for the heck of it I did all the steps up above a second time but instead I used a mbam 1.36 backup version I had and updates worked fine but only 1 time because it installed version 1.37 then the updates stopped working again. So auto updates worked in my 1.36 version but not the 1.37.

Ah Ha!!! Ok I had to do some tweaking with KIS exclusion rules and autoupdates finally started working! For some reason KIS reads the mbamservices differently from version 1.36 to 1.37. Maybe some little minor change in the versions made KIS default exclusion rules block it for some reason even. Boy firewalls sure can be tricky lil buggers.

Thanks for all the help AdvancedSetup! Glad you hung in there with me and didn't give up. Had I not been told try the exclusion method I might have never tinkered with those setting at all and I'd still be looking for a solution.

Thanks Mbam peeps! :)