System not fully protected

So I just updated to Windows 10 and the first thing I notice is that red alert mark on the icon. Now I don't know if the new windows defender is knocking out Malwarebyte, and if it is, its pissing me off. I rather trust Malwarebyte then the cheap and useless windows defender. So what doesn't work you ask? It too me almost two hours to find what's not working.

1. "Fix now" button does not work at all. Its just sits there when I click it thirty-seven times.
  2. "Data Base Version" Loads too long, in fact it loads infinitely.
  3. "Scan Progress" Scanning for just for five seconds crashes Malwarebyte pissing me off even more.
  4. "Real Time Protection" Is disabled, even when I restart my laptop.

post-151834-0-41219000-1441639691_thumb.

post-151834-0-92704800-1441639691_thumb.

post-151834-0-35672800-1441639692_thumb.

So I went to look at the forum which does not help me at all. It just tells me to restart the damn laptop over and over again.

Also when I go to General Setting > Detection and Protect > Malware Protection & Malware Website Protection is disabled. And everytime I turn it on and restart with a burning passion in hopes it might work, it doesn't and sadly, it goes back to looking back to number one on the list and hating it with a passion back to the general settings problem.

I check for adware and thank god I don't have any at all. I think the problem is that Windows Defender doesn't want Malwarebyte to run. Either that or might have to re-install (which I don't want to do). 

Is there a way to make my Malwarebyte my default Anti-Virus instead of this crappy windows defender? Or is there another way to fix this? Need help ASAP.

Hello and welcome back:

A couple of thoughts:

• First, MBAM is not an anti-virus. So it is not a substitute for Windows Defender in Win 8/Win 10.  You still need a robust, real-time anti-virus, even with MBAM Premium.
  • Next: if you did not first temporarily uninstall MBAM (and any other security programs) before upgrading to Win 10, then that might explain the behavior you report.

Let's start here:

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hi:

So, are you all set now?

If so, that's great.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

If not, then please let us know what issues remain?

Cheers,

P.S. "MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x" applies to a number of different scenarios where a clean reinstall might fix problems. It is not specific to Windows 10 upgrades. That's why the forum sticky topic title is what it is. ;)

Posted by TheeAsianNewb

"....... I check for adware and thank god I don't have any at all. I think the problem is that Windows Defender doesn't want Malwarebyte to run. Either that or might have to re-install (which I don't want to do). 

Is there a way to make my Malwarebyte my default Anti-Virus instead of this crappy windows defender? Or is there another way to fix this? Need help ASAP......"

I think perhaps that you are misinformed.

There is no conflict - and there never has been - between Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

Windows Defender, as released with W8.1 and W10, is a very competent Anti Virus product and is certainly as good as any of the AV products that you can purchase and that tend to dominate system resources.

To call Windows Defender "crappy" shows a lack of understanding of how the product works and the very positive results that WD has achieved over the past 18 months.  The version of WD that is released with W8.1 and W10 has nothing to do with the "Old" WD that was released with Vista - they are two vastly different products.

In a W8.1 or W10 environment the combination of Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium or Business, together with a good helping of common sense, is as good a defense as you will get from any security products.

T.