Does Malwarebytes protect you from the worst spyware ever made, Windows 10?

Hello and :welcome: :

Until a staff member has a chance to respond....

Short answer: No.

MBAM protects against actual malware, PUPs and other malware threats, not against the Windows Operating System.

There are many, many vigorous and intense discussions all over the internet about how to address Win 10 privacy concerns.

A routine internet search will turn up quite a few, both at reputable computer fora and websites and in the lay media.

And, for additional information about privacy concerns, there is this article here.

Thank you,

Hello and :welcome: :

Until a staff member has a chance to respond....

Short answer: No.

MBAM protects against actual malware, PUPs and other malware threats, not against the Windows Operating System.

There are many, many vigorous and intense discussions all over the internet about how to address Win 10 privacy concerns.

A routine internet search will turn up quite a few, both at reputable computer fora and websites and in the lay media.

And, for additional information about privacy concerns, there is this article here.

Thank you,

Thank you for the information. I'm reading the article right now.

You are most welcome.

Take care,

P.S. As this topic seems to address privacy concerns with Windows 10, rather than problems installing or running MBAM, the forum staff may move this thread to a more suitable area of the forum, such as PC Help or General Chat.  No worries, though. ;)

It's OK if they do that. I know that this is the right topic for this. I just didn't have time to search for the proper topic to post this.

There are multiple articles and programs available to stop Windows 10 from spying on you... for right now until they start bypassing it all... just google it.

As another point to consider... if you are using Windows 7 or 8, they are now installing the same spyware on those OS's... just google it

In related news... google is spying on you too... just google it.

I think before getting into an uproar over false rumors spread about by irresponsible, lazy, wannabe journalists in the tech media, and other MS bashers concerning Windows 10, all the facts should be determined first.

See Ed Bott, No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10.

I think before getting into an uproar over false rumors spread about by irresponsible, lazy, wannabe journalists in the tech media, and other MS bashers concerning Windows 10, all the facts should be determined first.

See Ed Bott, No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10.

So you link to Ed Bott, a Microsoft shill spewing his usual garbage?

Go google "Ed Bott Microsoft bribe".

Okay, I Googled that (did you?) and what did I find? Typical MS bashing and rumormongering originating from ONE FALSE REPORT from 2006!!!   Almost 10 years ago!

Ed Bott does not work for Microsoft BTW, and if you have read any of his writings, you would know he pulls no punches when Microsoft makes stupid decisions. And they've made plenty!

At least I linked to something that can be verified (there are tons of sites showing how to disable these features easily, as Ed noted) - you just repeat false rumors, too lazy to verify anything yourself - just like the "irresponsible, lazy, wannabe journalists in the tech media, and other MS bashers "!

Where are your attacks against Google and Apple? Or Facebook? How about cell phone providers where they track your physical location and movements :excl: too potentially down to within a few yards?

What about your local grocer, Best Buy, Starbucks and those little "rewards" cards tracking your buying (and returning!) habits, and where you buy? Or are you just another Microsoft basher?

Does Microsoft collect information about us? Of course! But no more, or even near as much as many others - especially Google and our cell phone provides when GPS is enabled in our phones - which typically is by default.

But most importantly - as Ed Bott was pointing out, these features can easily be disabled in W10 - unlike these features in other devices.

So for the conspiracy theorists and excessive paranoids like blackdovemobile, as Ed suggested, put on your tin foil hats and put down your cell phones. Read Ed's 2006 response (at least read the "stuff in red and boldface" for you 15 worders :rolleyes: ). Then, instead of whining and crying about the Windows 10 you got for free, get Linux.

Okay, I Googled that (did you?) and what did I find? Typical MS bashing and rumormongering originating from ONE FALSE REPORT from 2006!!! Almost 10 years ago!

Ed Bott does not work for Microsoft BTW, and if you have read any of his writings, you would know he pulls no punches when Microsoft makes stupid decisions. And they've made plenty!

At least I linked to something that can be verified (there are tons of sites showing how to disable these features easily, as Ed noted) - you just repeat false rumors, too lazy to verify anything yourself - just like the "irresponsible, lazy, wannabe journalists in the tech media, and other MS bashers "!

Where are your attacks against Google and Apple? Or Facebook? How about cell phone providers where they track your physical location and movements :excl: too potentially down to within a few yards?

What about your local grocer, Best Buy, Starbucks and those little "rewards" cards tracking your buying (and returning!) habits, and where you buy? Or are you just another Microsoft basher?

Does Microsoft collect information about us? Of course! But no more, or even near as much as many others - especially Google and our cell phone provides when GPS is enabled in our phones - which typically is by default.

But most importantly - as Ed Bott was pointing out, these features can easily be disabled in W10 - unlike these features in other devices.

So for the conspiracy theorists and excessive paranoids like blackdovemobile, as Ed suggested, put on your tin foil hats and put down your cell phones. Read Ed's 2006 response (at least read the "stuff in red and boldface" for you 15 worders :rolleyes: ). Then, instead of whining and crying about the Windows 10 you got for free, get Linux.

One false report huh? Guess i overestimated your ability to use a search engine.

Try adding the word shill to the search?

Hes not the only MS shill either. There are plenty in the tech blogging community. Microsoft has a long history of corruption and bribery. Just google that too.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2480576/microsoft-windows/microsoft-bribes-again-.html

Microsoft likes to bribe Youtubers too.

http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-is-paying-youtubers-for-positive-xbox-one-cov-1505629858

But the overall point is that shills like Ed Bott who cheerlead Windows 10s erosion of privacy are symptomatic of a fundamentally unsustainable market.

Peoples data now has to belong to Microsoft so it can be analyzed and forwarded to whoever they see fit for monetization or spying. You might want to read this now locked thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584522/by-downloading-windows-10-you-are-allowing-microsoft-to-spy-on-you/

And i uninstalled my "free" Windows 10 lol.

I dont mind paying for Windows. Been using paid Windows since the early 90s. Im pissed because 10 was supposed to be good and fix the ridiculous 8 metro interface. Instead it still looks disgusting, and now its just a spying and advertizing platform.

Since i cant edit:

I never said that Google or Apple are ok anywhere did i? They use scumbag tactics too. The complacent and ignorant masses have allowed it to get this way.

People like you, who seem to be ok with it, and cheerleaders like Ed Bott and other shill bloggers, are the reason its now the norm.

I dont care if my grocer knows what food i buy so he can keep it in stock. I dont need my grocer to analyze my emails to my wife or whatever to determine when to order the next batch of tomatoes that i like.

You fail to notice(or intentionally overlook) like the Windows 10 cheer squad that you CAN NOT disable telemetry on ANY version of 10 except enterprise.

"15 worder" and a condescending smiley? Ad hominem like Eds "tin foil" hyperbole i guess. Wheres the middle finger emoticon? Oh well you get the idea.

ROTFL!!!

Ad hominem? Who's trying to appeal to emotions now?

Condescending? Because I don't accept the ill-informed making unfounded accusations against innocent others? Okay. If it makes you feel better - I do look down on people who blindingly rumormonger with unfounded falsehoods and accusations. If that is your definition of condescending, then so be it. I see me as defending the truth. I will defend your right to express your opinion, but not to spew falsehoods. If you don't like Windows 10, that's fine. There are many legitimate reasons to dislike it. But don't make up (or repeat falsehoods) to justify your opinion. That is not fine.

For example, your Computerworld link - Irrelevant! It says nothing about Ed Bott. And it is from 2008 and it refers back to the same false 2006 claim.

Your Gizmodo link - Irrelevant! It has nothing to do with Ed Bott.

You can't defend your claims about Ed Bott so now you are just attempting to obfuscate the issue with feculent blather. :(

As for your BC link, you clearly didn't read that either. If you had, you would have seen where folks like John Dvorak and Woody Leonard and other long time pundits of Internet security and privacy who are fervent critics of Microsoft have embraced Windows 10 and accept Microsoft's new policies.

As for telemetry and the ability to turn it off, again it is clear you did not read your own link or do any real research on it. If you had read your own link you would have seen where it can be turned off. If you had tried Bing Google (and actually read through the results - especially those you link to), you would have seen many tutorials explaining How to Turn Off Telemetry in Windows 7, 8, and Windows 10 completely. But instead, you just continue your rumormongering.

And to that, it is also clear you don't understand how the telemetry feature works, or why it is there. It does things like tell me the part I am looking for is in stock at my local Menards just down the street. It is there to make Windows 10 features you actually like and use perform better for you. If you have issues with that, just stop using it. Use Linux!

I dont care if my grocer knows what food i buy so he can keep it in stock.

Keep it in stock??? :blink:  LOL See what I mean? You don't get it! The barcode scanner at the register keeps track of his inventory. He wants to know what you buy (with that rewards card) so he can sell YOUR buying habits and personal information to a direct marketer (and who knows what affiliates?) so they can target you with things they want to slough of on you.

I never said that Google or Apple are ok anywhere did i? They use scumbag tactics too. The complacent and ignorant masses have allowed it to get this way.

No you didn't say Google or Apple are okay. That was my point. You joined this thread explicitly to falsely accuse Ed Bott of being a "Microsoft shill" based on a false report from 2006 - which you continue to cite references to even though proven wrong.

You singled out Microsoft even though Google and Apple, Facebook and cell phone providers are much more intrusive into our private lives.

Wheres the middle finger emoticon? Oh well you get the idea.

And now you use the puerile approach of an adolescent when they can present NO evidence whatsoever to back up their false claims. :( Condescending? No. Pity.

I'm done here. Good day.